Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fresh legs

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fresh legs

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-10, 06:24 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^
That. I have a lot of weeks during the year that I don't take a day off. But I end up with two active recovery days that week. Sometimes I get the best training on that second 6 day block.

(edited: "end" should read "end up with", since the week doesn't END with two recovery days, just has two active recovery days within it)
Old 08-10-10, 06:25 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NomadVW
Very, very few of us train anywhere near enough to get to "overtraining." More like undertraining or training improperly.
i believe we are talking about overreaching. you are right, overtraining is when you overreach for a month or so & really find yourself tapped. but regardless, when you do overreach, taking 3 days off the bike is recommended
Old 08-10-10, 06:27 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That. I have a lot of weeks during the year that I don't take a day off. But I end up with two active recovery days that week. Sometimes I get the best training on that second 6 day block.
Yeah, Mondays and Fridays are almost always easy/active recovery days. For the power people out there, I may do ~20 TSS on an active recovery day on a CTL of 150.
Old 08-10-10, 06:27 PM
bigdaddy10028
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very, very few of us train anywhere near enough to get to "overtraining." More like undertraining or training improperly.
I agree however it sounds like the op is one of those few. This is just a basic fitness principle in general. You don't train for any athletic endeavor 7 days a week. You need a day off. I do agree that if the activity is very light in relation to the normal training volume than its fine. Post ride nutrition could also be a major issue with the op.
Old 08-10-10, 06:30 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most people "overreach" incorrectly though. They train hard enough to get fatigued all the time, but not hard enough to get real benefit from that level of exertion. Then they never take real endurance training at lower Z1/2 intensities.

That's the real definition of riding junk miles. Riding hard enough that you're tired all the time, but not either A: hard enough or B: long enough to reap the benefit of the effort.
Old 08-10-10, 06:37 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdaddy10028
I agree however it sounds like the op is one of those few. This is just a basic fitness principle in general. You don't train for any athletic endeavor 7 days a week. You need a day off. I do agree that if the activity is very light in relation to the normal training volume than its fine. Post ride nutrition could also be a major issue with the op.
I disagree. It doesn't sound like he's overtrained. Sounds like he's doing hill repeats every day, based on what he posted. My guess is the hill repeats aren't long enough to be building any physiological system, but are taxing the legs. There's the common thinking that if I go uphill for 30 seconds hard every 5 minutes, I'm getting benefit. But *usually* the uphill effort isn't hard enough, and the 5 minutes in between is too much recovery. So, all you're doing is tiring yourself out and that residual fatigue is still going to be there the next day.

That's not overtraining, that's training incorrectly.
Old 08-10-10, 06:48 PM
bigdaddy10028
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on the fact that he is.doing that every ride it would be incorrect and overtraining potentially. Typically incorrect training isn't going to result in soreness, but I guess if the intensity is high but some other parameter is off then it could.
Old 08-10-10, 06:49 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trying to go "hard all the time" is a recipie for failure. Riding all the time at varrying intensities is more sustainable.
Old 08-10-10, 07:09 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Trying to go "hard all the time" is a recipe for failure. Riding all the time at varying intensities is more sustainable.
For me, this is the hardest part of cycling. I like to go, and go fast. Descents are not enough time to recover on even the shortest of training rides. I'll add this as the third in the triumverate of why I suck. That, and I'm too fat for this sport.
Old 08-10-10, 07:17 PM
mrrab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oddly enough I've never been sore after riding. My ride schedule consist of the following...

Monday - 20 - 30 mile
Tuesday - 40 -50 mile
Wednesday - 50 - 60 mile
Thursday - Upper body strength training
Friday - Lower body strength training
Saturday - Whatever I feel like - 60 - 80 mile
Sunday - Whatever I feel like - might rest or take an easy ride with friends or wife.
Old 08-10-10, 07:19 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, as a newbie to cycling but not to intense exercise I'm a bit astounded at the posts in this thread. Most every athletic discipline has abundant literature expounding the high value of rest. Pain in many of its' incarnations is a person's friend. Somtimes it is a vicious enemy.

Constant soreness or pain or stabbing pain are in the latter category. It is telling you all is not well. The first remedy to try is more rest. If that doesn't do the job, then more rest.

From personal experience I can say that there is a period of time when the legs bother. But, as strength and experience grow the discomfort diminishes. Rest and a disciplined, smart training program take care of the problem.
Old 08-10-10, 07:38 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrab
Oddly enough I've never been sore after riding. My ride schedule consist of the following...

Monday - 20 - 30 mile
Tuesday - 40 -50 mile
Wednesday - 50 - 60 mile
Thursday - Upper body strength training
Friday - Lower body strength training
Saturday - Whatever I feel like - 60 - 80 mile
Sunday - Whatever I feel like - might rest or take an easy ride with friends or wife.
not trying to be an ass, but try replacing the strength training sessions with riding sessions & doing intervals twice a week. if you don't experience some lactic acid buildup afterwards, you ain't doing it right