Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-21, 04:18 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Gid1999
Hello and thanks! It does not have eyelets on the dropouts, and the brakes are Modolo 'America'. I believe European models of the same bike had Modolo 'Flash', and I suspected it was simply a branding choice, since the calipers on these two brakes appear almost identical. I will measure the seat post and get back to you. The cranks are Ofmega, although once again I believe, but will also double check this. I am also unsure if the paint colour is original. Up close it appears to have been repainted (some what poorly), although parts of the frame might be original paint (the rear triangle look has a clearly higher paint quality than the downtube). The old girl has definitely seen some use and rebuilds over the years.
Edit: The chainring bolts and axle nuts are stamped 'Ofmega', but there is precious else to go on in terms of markings on the crank arms themselves.
Unfortunately, the Canadian origin complicates things, significantly. The Canadian models of this era were spec'd domestically. Consequently, they rarely align with the USA models and often had different model names. The same is true for many of the European models.

You shouldn't need to measure the seat post. The size should be stamped into the post. The usual locations are at the top of the tubular section or on the lower tublar section, just below the minimum insertion marks.
Old 11-25-21, 01:04 AM
destarninda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi can I check if the experts here can help identify my Bianchi SL3 Reparto Corse. Celeste green gradient. SL Carbon fork. Passed down to me but since I stumbled upon this very interesting thread, I was just too curious not to ask...
Serial number TE1432251V.
Many thanks in adv.

Last edited by destarninda; 11-25-21 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-25-21, 01:47 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by destarninda
Hi can I check if the experts here can help identify my Bianchi SL3 Reparto Corse. Celeste green gradient. SL Carbon fork. Passed down to me but since I stumbled upon this very interesting thread, I was just too curious not to ask...
Many thanks in adv.
Thsts Aluminum with CampI Centar yes? Might be a bit new for this group to figure out that way.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-26-21, 05:31 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Originally Posted by destarninda
Many thanks in adv.
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Thsts Aluminum with CampI Centar yes? Might be a bit new for this group to figure out that way.
Pic Assist - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/23242090

Old 11-26-21, 06:19 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Those wheels must be a later addition. The closest I can find online is the 2002 SL Aluminum Centuar. The frame graphics are different but this could be a catalog V actual production or even a regional thing.

It seems the SL3 designation might refer to the later model with carbon stays or again could be regional. It's also possible this is a different frame built up with Centaur so it looks like the SL or SL3

https://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/...spx?item=37573

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-05-21, 11:14 PM
jediwaffles

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
86-87 Blue Campione del Mondo

Hey everyone, would really love some help getting a solid ID on a vintage Bianchi frame I bought. Turns out Bianchi serial numbers are a nightmare.

Color: Mediterranean Blue
Details: Campione del Mondo 86-87 decal
Serial Number: 61126937

I only have the frameset, no other components. Initial digging makes me think squadra? I can't seem to find any other blue frames within those years. Any help is appreciated! Unfortunately cannot post pics as this is a new account.
Old 12-06-21, 03:11 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by jediwaffles
Hey everyone, would really love some help getting a solid ID on a vintage Bianchi frame I bought. Turns out Bianchi serial numbers are a nightmare.

I only have the frameset, no other components. Initial digging makes me think squadra? I can't seem to find any other blue frames within those years. Any help is appreciated! Unfortunately cannot post pics as this is a new account.
Is there a tubing sticker? Are there any markings on the frame? Is the Colorado Springs sticker rectangular or round?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-06-21, 03:29 AM
jediwaffles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is there a tubing sticker? Are there any markings on the frame? Is the Colorado Springs sticker rectangular or round?
Bianchi decals on the downtube and seattube, nothing on the top tube! Edoardo Bianchi sticker where a head badge would go. Colorado Springs sticker is rectangular!
Old 12-06-21, 04:31 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Bianchi decals on the downtube and seattube, nothing on the top tube! Edoardo Bianchi sticker where a head badge would go. Colorado Springs sticker is rectangular!
Pic Assist - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/23333824

Old 12-06-21, 09:15 AM
T-Mar

It's a 1987 model, manufactured in Taiwan during November 1986. Based on the cantilever brake and kickstand plate, it looks like an entry level, city bicycle model.
Old 12-06-21, 05:32 PM
jediwaffles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It's a 1987 model, manufactured in Taiwan during November 1986. Based on the cantilever brake and kickstand plate, it looks like an entry level, city bicycle model.
Thank you for this! Any idea on what components this would have used? Not necessarily trying to be a purist, but would want to at least know where to start.
Old 12-06-21, 06:19 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

That is a Broadway a pretty basic all terrain bike but we didn’t recommend taking off the pavement very far.

HiTen frame and fork and pretty basic everything else.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 12-06-21 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-06-21, 07:49 PM
T-Mar

That is a Broadway a pretty basic all terrain bike...
I'd be hard pressed to call this an "all terrain bike" when the tyres weren't knobbies, were only 1.5" wide and the crankset was only a double with a 38T low. I'd classify his as a city bicycle, though it could be used for very light off-road excursions such as flat fire roads and picnic grounds.
Old 12-06-21, 07:53 PM
jediwaffles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd be hard pressed to call this an "all terrain bike" when the tyres weren't knobbies, were only 1.5" wide and the crankset was only a double with a 38T low. I'd classify his as a city bicycle, though it could be used for very light off-road excursions such as flat fire roads and picnic grounds.
Hmm haven't checked on tire clearance, but would want to try putting 700c tires on and making it a gravel-lite bike, if that's possible.
Old 12-08-21, 06:04 PM
skiandbikemoore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this a Bianchi frame / fork?

I am trying to learn a bike frame and fork is a Bianchi, and if not, does anyone have any ideas? Would anyone know where I might get lucky and find a catalog or original bike specifications? I tried to post photos, but as a relatively new user it would not let me do that. If anyone has a work around for that problem, let me know.
The frame/fork I'm looking at has been changed substantially so many of the original parts may be missing, and some additional parts have been added. The downtube and seat tube have been sprayed with a darker blue paint right over where the Bianchi name labels would be, but I think the top tube and upper parts of the seat tube, etc. may be original paint which is a lighter, sort of royal blue metallic paint. The reason I suspect it is a Bianchi is that many of the frame details are the same as a gray colored 1984 Bianchi Alaskan that I have seen on this website an on a johns-recycled-bicycle blog (bikeforums also won't let me post a URL yet), but the fork is different and the paint color is different. I have had one discussion with a bikeforums member who suggested this might be a different color because it is a Bianchi ATB instead of a Bianchi Alaskan. The fork on the 1984 Bianchi Alaskan is a bi-plane crown design. The one I'm looking at is a brazed crown/leg connection, but not bi-plane, but otherwise the shape and dropouts are identical. Apparently both ATB and Alaskan may use the same frame with these details: The front triangle is welded with a unique gusset under the head tube/top tube joint. The rear triangle appears brazed to the front triangle with lugged/inserts at the chain stay/bottom bracket joint and scallop ended external brazing of the seat stay/seat tube joints . The cable housing guides and stops are unique; 3 sort of bent triangular brake housing guides on the top tube and 2 double cup shifter housing stops on the down tube . All of these features match those I've seen on the 1984 Bianchi Alaskan I previously mentioned. A label on the upper seat tube states "Cr-Mo 3 Main Tubes" just like on the Alaskan. There is a Made in Taiwan decal on my bike near the bb too, and if that is correct, the serial number 51003793 seems match the "KHS" manufactured serial number pattern that I have seen associated with Bianchi in the "Asian Serial Number Guide" provided by T-Mar in other posts on this forum (suggesting a 1985 manufacturing date). The bike also has DiaCompe cantilever brakes, Suzue hubs and Araya 26x1.75 alloy rims, if that helps. Not sure if those are original, but they appear to be. Stem/handlebars/grips don't look original to me. Derailleurs are gone.

Again, if someone can help figure out how I can attach photos, that would make this much clearer. Meanwhile, any ideas are appreciated.
Old 01-09-22, 06:48 PM
dantonvb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Please help me with identification of this serial: HS86363767. Thanks.
Old 01-09-22, 08:35 PM
noirwest

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an S9 Matta of as of yet to be determined age. The guy I bought it from said the guy he bought it from claimed it was a 2006. I checked with a local shop that was a big Bianchi dealer back in the day and got a firm maybe. The parts and pieces on it led the shop to believe it was purchased as a frame and fork.It was covered with a mix of several bike's decals, mostly Bianchi with no paint except the celeste lettering on the bottom bracket. I got bored and cleaned them off and let a local metal polishing shop make it shine. I'm in the process of putting it back on the road and while knowing when it was made would be nice I don't think it's going to ride better or worse for not knowing. I'd post a picture of it but appears I haven't reached picture posting point yet. It reads as L1167 with a sideways S underneath that and with 51 next to the S. Guesses are welcome, educated or not.
Old 01-10-22, 07:38 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by dantonvb
Please help me with identification of this serial: HS86363767. Thanks.
The serial number is consistent with a Japanese manufactured model from August 1988. That's in the grey region where it could be either a 1988 or 1989 model. Provided it still has its factory decals, it should be easy to identify the model year, as the 1988 models used the round Campione del Mondo Colorado Springs 1986-1987 decal.

To identify the exact Bianchi model we'll require phographs and/or brands and models of the major components (derailleurs, crankset, brakes). I see there are some chain photos in your gallery album but none of the Bianchi, so you've uploaded photos in the past.
Old 01-10-22, 08:46 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by skiandbikemoore
I am trying to learn a bike frame and fork is a Bianchi...
Welcome to the forums. The serial numbers suggests October 1985 manufacture. That is late enough in the calendar year that it should be a 1986 model. The only Bianchi ATB I've seen from the mid-1980s that used lugless construction was the Alaskan but it wasn't produced after 1984. It does appear to be from the same contract manufacturer used by Bianchi for the Alaskan. The frame looks similar but the fork is different. I don't think this was originally marketed as a Bianchi.

At least the gusset did its job and prevented a bent frame, though the fork was not so lucky. It looks like you've got a big project in front of you.

Sample photo assist. More photos here: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/23369629
Old 01-10-22, 08:54 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by noirwest
I have an S9 Matta of as of yet to be determined age. The guy I bought it from said the guy he bought it from claimed it was a 2006. I checked with a local shop that was a big Bianchi dealer back in the day and got a firm maybe. The parts and pieces on it led the shop to believe it was purchased as a frame and fork.It was covered with a mix of several bike's decals, mostly Bianchi with no paint except the celeste lettering on the bottom bracket. I got bored and cleaned them off and let a local metal polishing shop make it shine. I'm in the process of putting it back on the road and while knowing when it was made would be nice I don't think it's going to ride better or worse for not knowing. I'd post a picture of it but appears I haven't reached picture posting point yet. It reads as L1167 with a sideways S underneath that and with 51 next to the S. Guesses are welcome, educated or not.
Even though they may not help, we'll need more photos than just this...
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 01-10-22, 10:49 AM
dantonvb

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
The serial number is consistent with a Japanese manufactured model from August 1988. That's in the grey region where it could be either a 1988 or 1989 model. Provided it still has its factory decals, it should be easy to identify the model year, as the 1988 models used the round Campione del Mondo Colorado Springs 1986-1987 decal.

To identify the exact Bianchi model we'll require phographs and/or brands and models of the major components (derailleurs, crankset, brakes). I see there are some chain photos in your gallery album but none of the Bianchi, so you've uploaded photos in the past.
Thank you for the information. I still do not have 10 posts and at this moment I am unable to post pictures. Sorry.
Old 01-10-22, 10:51 AM
dantonvb

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Do you know where I could find a catalog from 1986 to 1989 years?
Old 01-10-22, 12:53 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by dantonvb
Thank you for the information. I still do not have 10 posts and at this moment I am unable to post pictures. Sorry.
Unless the frame was modified before the repaint and application of the Peugeot decals, I can't recall any Bianchi models from this era that used cable stops on the underside of the top tube. If the brakeset is OEM, the used of excessed mounting nuts would make this an entry level. The stem looks like it needs to be inserted more to be safe. Please submit a drive side photo of the crankset and derailleurs.
Old 01-12-22, 12:15 AM
noirwest

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bike had an ITM stem and bar combination from the nineties on it on a Cane Creek C2 headset. It was set up as a 3X9 with Ultegra brifters, cranks, ultegra rd6500 with a dura ace front d. The wheels were from Rolfs from 2004 or 5. No carbon stays, typical ugly ti welds and a Bianchi carbon fork without a label on the steer tube. Lot's of Bianchi decals, both celeste and blue along with shimano and a few small campy stickers for good measure. I see one set of new decals online for a supertube bike in blue that would work on it but I have to admit that I like this clean look.

Last edited by noirwest; 01-12-22 at 12:21 AM. Reason: forgot a few things
Likes For noirwest:
Old 01-17-22, 06:45 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Suntour AR derailleurs, Dia Compe 500 brakes, Custom A crankset. “Asking for a friend”

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 01-19-22 at 02:53 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.