Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.3

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-23, 09:10 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28622 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I don’t understand your point.
Time to activate.

Old 08-16-23, 09:35 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
I'm going out of town for most of a week, leaving next Tuesday I REALLY wish I'd shipped a bike to my sister who lives in The Ancestral Home, but I'm lazy and procrastination is my middle name. Well, Hugh, actually, but you know what I mean.

Part of it is the realization that if I did, I'd have to bring or ship a bunch of other stuff - tools to set it up again, floor pump, saddle bag, shoes, clothing, helmet, etc. I'd need a locked, preferably indoor spot to keep all of the stuff and I haven't yet negotiated that with my sister. But it's a big damn house and yard, with two outbuildings, one of which holds thousands of dollars worth of appliances, which are being accumulated in advance of the planned remodel of the kitchen, so the bike would be one of the LEAST valuable things in it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-16-23, 09:49 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8843 Post(s)
Liked 2,991 Times in 1,738 Posts
I'm looking forward to my short, after work ride with a dew point of only 70° in my estimation. I'll post the ride data and dew point after I'm done.
Old 08-16-23, 09:51 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm going out of town for most of a week, leaving next Tuesday I REALLY wish I'd shipped a bike to my sister who lives in The Ancestral Home, but I'm lazy and procrastination is my middle name. Well, Hugh, actually, but you know what I mean.

Part of it is the realization that if I did, I'd have to bring or ship a bunch of other stuff - tools to set it up again, floor pump, saddle bag, shoes, clothing, helmet, etc. I'd need a locked, preferably indoor spot to keep all of the stuff and I haven't yet negotiated that with my sister. But it's a big damn house and yard, with two outbuildings, one of which holds thousands of dollars worth of appliances, which are being accumulated in advance of the planned remodel of the kitchen, so the bike would be one of the LEAST valuable things in it.
Grabbing a bike off of craigslist back there could be fun. N+1
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 08-16-23, 09:52 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Craigslisting a bike over there could be fun. N+1
Might be worth doing it while I'm in Rockville, but I suspect Gettysburg would have slim pickings.

Old 08-16-23, 09:54 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8843 Post(s)
Liked 2,991 Times in 1,738 Posts
Fill in the blank
Carbs are your _________
Friend
Enemy
Frenemy
Old 08-16-23, 09:55 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Might be worth doing it while I'm in Rockville, but I suspect Gettysburg would have slim pickings.
Yeah I reckon Baltimore CL would be the way to go.
Old 08-16-23, 09:56 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Fill in the blank
Carbs are your _________
Friend
Enemy
Frenemy
Friend! for sure man. We're endurance athletes!
Old 08-16-23, 09:58 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

rode the TT bike outside this morning. reminds me of why I usually rarely do it if I don't have a race in the coming months - it handles like crap and is uncomfortable at least and dangerous at worst on the open road. not sure how triathletes do it all the time man. I mean, it was fine on Fiesta Island (non-stop 4 mi loop), but getting to and from was a bit sketchy.

I think I'll stick to riding it on the trainer once/week for a while. no TT races for the rest of the year.
Old 08-16-23, 10:00 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28622 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Fill in the blank
Carbs are your _________
Friend
Enemy
Frenemy
(D) none of the above
Old 08-16-23, 10:13 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by TMonk
rode the TT bike outside this morning. reminds me of why I usually rarely do it if I don't have a race in the coming months - it handles like crap and is uncomfortable at least and dangerous at worst on the open road. not sure how triathletes do it all the time man. I mean, it was fine on Fiesta Island (non-stop 4 mi loop), but getting to and from was a bit sketchy.

I think I'll stick to riding it on the trainer once/week for a while. no TT races for the rest of the year.
Don't you want to be like Jonas Vingegaard and be so comfortable on the TT bike that you don't even change for the climb and gain at least a 20 second advantage?

Old 08-16-23, 10:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts

Is that just this bike or your experience with TT bikes in general? I've always been interested in getting one, but don't know what kind of usage to realistically expect.
Old 08-16-23, 10:27 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Don't you want to be like Jonas Vingegaard and be so comfortable on the TT bike that you don't even change for the climb and gain at least a 20 second advantage?
I wonder if there are any studies that show the time gained by using the TT bike for the flats and a road bike for the hills as opposed to a road bike for the whole race. There has got to be time lost during the transition. The question would be is the time lost during transition more or less than the time gained using the TT bike.

I'm not sure how you would test that considering you could never duplicate a run.
Old 08-16-23, 10:41 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I would consider that a paved road that has never been swept since it was put down during the civil war.
Wouldn't want to ride 23s on it though.
Old 08-16-23, 10:45 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

With a proper fit (realize very few people can do this) it should be at least as comfortable as your road bike and fine for most purposes on pavement. I rode mine at COTA over and over weaving around the kids and casuals.
Old 08-16-23, 10:47 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I wonder if there are any studies that show the time gained by using the TT bike for the flats and a road bike for the hills as opposed to a road bike for the whole race. There has got to be time lost during the transition. The question would be is the time lost during transition more or less than the time gained using the TT bike.

I'm not sure how you would test that considering you could never duplicate a run.
The STers have the data, though I can't remember where it is. However, the situations where a road bike is faster in a TT vanish to almost nil if you're skilled. Even in Nice and St George the answer is "learn to handle your tri bike and ride that unless you like losing".
Old 08-16-23, 10:49 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

$800 in B'more!

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 08-16-23, 10:50 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Is that just this bike or your experience with TT bikes in general? I've always been interested in getting one, but don't know what kind of usage to realistically expect.

I only have appreciable experience on one TT bike. But, my rational brain thinks that others would handle similarly poorly, steep HT/ST angles, far forward position (relative to road), low visibility.

If you have a TT series in your area, I recommend trying it out. It’s fun to see continual improvement and tinker with things to get speed here and there. Plus, I enjoy the sensation of speed, and it does offer a bit more than road, even with regular training kit.

It is quite different on your muscles – more glute/hamstring emphasis than just pure quad. I try to ride it once/week for most of the year, maybe twice/week if I have an event coming up that I care about.

I’d bet you could calculate that fairly closely with a given course, the environmental conditions and a rider’s data (watt/CdA, watt/kg etc). But, my guess is that all the magic is in the transition. Like in real world races, you can probably only practice that so much, and you can certainly royally screw it up.

In SCNCA the Tour de Murrieta used to have an interesting day 1 TT, where about half the time was on a rolling paved road, and the second half (by time) was up a gravel climb. There was a great diversity of equipment choices all the way up to the pro race. It was a very cool race, I wish they would bring that stage 1 back. It was short too, like 20 minutes IIRC for elite times.

Yes, there are multiple ways (including TT bike skill) that I would like to be like Jonas Vingegaard haha. Although I don’t put in nearly the same time, I think my genetic ceiling is much lower and that I’ll have to stick to being one of the good guys in the Master’s fields of the SCNCA district (35+ - for now).
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-16-23, 10:56 AM
Mojo31
-------

How did your kitchen cabinet project turn out?
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts

Jumbo-Visma seems to have figured it out. At the Giro, they had Roglic do the bike switch, as did most/all of the top competitors. At the Tour, Jonas stayed on his TT bike, but others did not.
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
With a proper fit (realize very few people can do this) it should be at least as comfortable as your road bike and fine for most purposes on pavement. I rode mine at COTA over and over weaving around the kids and casuals.
My understanding is that with lots of training adaptation, maybe it would be "at best" as comfortable as your road bike. It's an inherently more challenging position. But, I may not have the same level of experience as you.
Old 08-16-23, 11:08 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
How did your kitchen cabinet project turn out?
We're only in year 2 of the 5-year project
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-16-23, 11:11 AM
Mojo31
-------

We're only in year 2 of the 5-year project
Gave me a laugh.
Old 08-16-23, 11:20 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11972 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Fill in the blank
Carbs are your _________
Friend
Enemy
Frenemy
Enemy, especially potatoes, rice, pasta and corn. Then there's bread, pie, cake, cookies and bagels. Then there's beer. Did I mention bread? Sadly, the "Friend" list is much shorter.
Old 08-16-23, 11:26 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Eric F
Jumbo-Visma seems to have figured it out. At the Giro, they had Roglic do the bike switch, as did most/all of the top competitors. At the Tour, Jonas stayed on his TT bike, but others did not.
You gotta figure that at least 20 seconds of Vingegaards advantage over Pogacar was the lack of a bike switch - slow to stop, dismount, get on new bike, clip in, get back up to speed. And Vingegaard actually GAINED over a minute on Pogacar from the base of the climb to the finish - on a TT bike.

Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.