Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Surly Big Dummy drivetrain for 2023z

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-23, 01:35 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts

So,
it appears this is the end of the line for the non-electronic Big Dummy. While that is depressing to those of us not exactly enthralled with riding anything that needs a charge, I do get why an e-cargo bike is the ultimate best use for this technology. It makes sense why they would be phasing out the analog versions.

What is peculiar however, is their decision to hear it with a 1x9 set-up. A cargo bike for but the flattest of circumstances I would think requires at a minimum a double in the front. I got to thinking about a 1x9 for a bike capable of handling total gross weight of 400lbs would have such gaps in the gearing that it would effectively become kind of like a single -speed with 9 different gear ratios.

The reason I say this is that I presume the gaps between a the next lower or higher gear would be so large, that you kind of have to pick the gear that feels the best and just stick with it unless the gradient dramatically changes.

it seems that with this being the last of the analog versions, and in an effort to keep costs down, they just spec’s fully built versions using a group set already utilized on another model rather than diverge from their almost fully committed switch to 1X drivetrain, and assume people with serious cargo intentions will just buy the frame and source the drivetrain to suit their needs.
Old 09-15-23, 06:35 PM
SirLeaflock

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Priority Classic Plus Gotham-Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I've been meaning to reply for a while. I was really amused to see Surly went with the Advent on the Big Dummy, because that's what I put on mine when I had it built up from the frame in 2020. It's worked out really well for me. I use the Trail Pro Trigger and haven't had any problems with the shifting. I should have gone with a smaller chain ring, though (I have a 48 tooth up front). It's seen a lot of use with 2 and 3 kids on it with me, and I do lots of shifting. Taking off might not look elegant, but the low gears definitely help. I intend to replace the chain ring with something smaller when mine is worn out.