Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Car Strikes 11 year old Girl-on video-driver arrested

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-23, 05:46 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

https://whdh.com/news/update-police-id-driver-caught-on-camera-hitting-child-on-bicycle-in-east-bridgewater/

Surveillance camera in the park led to arrest of the 62 year old driver.
Good think the girl was wearing a jacket.
Surveillance Video
Old 10-18-23, 05:51 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
That young girl was very lucky she didn't end up under the vehicle. I can't believe the woman drove 60 feet before stopping.
Old 10-18-23, 05:53 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
That young girl was very lucky she didn't end up under the vehicle. I can't believe the woman drove 60 feet before stopping.
Yes, the car had a low plastic bumper. Luckily it wasn’t an SUV.
And it looked more like 60 yards than feet.
Old 10-18-23, 09:17 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 249 Posts
The fault of the collision is 50/ 50, IMO. Girl blasted out from the trees. The driver was way slow hitting the brakes both before and after tho. Who knows, likely it turned out better that the car didn't swerve.
The distance was 8 parking spots, so about 68 feet.
No real need to run off either.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-18-23 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-19-23, 04:00 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
The link in the OP didn't work for me, but I think I found the accident in the below video on YT. I don't think I'd characterize girls riding as blasting out from the trees. It seems to me that the driver had plenty of time to stop. And of course the fact that she left the scene is the kicker...

Likes For work4bike:
Old 10-19-23, 06:24 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Driving off without making contact with the child's family and/or calling the police is unconscionable. Who does something like that? I swear, a person on a bike is somehow seen as something other than human.

I'd like to buy that child a new bike and a helmet. Is anyone aware of any associated crowdfunding?
Old 10-19-23, 06:37 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
horrifying. I've just started riding with my kids (ages 6 and 8) at their elementary school last week. One day I was not able to fit my bike in the car with theirs and I sat on a chair at the end of the lot and did not feel safe having them at the opposite end. I'd rather ride with them.
Old 10-19-23, 07:38 AM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
American society in a nutshell. A bunch of degenerates living amongst us. You would think with age and life experiences, people would mature; but, it doesn't matter, nowadays. A 62-year old ran her car over a child, and ran away?
Likes For Eyes Roll:
Old 10-19-23, 08:30 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
i tend to assume intoxication when people leave a scene like that.
Old 10-19-23, 09:02 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
which begs the question, when do you feel there would be a real need to run off? If the girl was unconscious?
Old 10-19-23, 10:08 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Girl blasted out from the trees.
"Blasted"? Really?

The cyclist wasn't moving that fast and there was quite a large gap between the trees and the path of the car.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 10-19-23, 10:13 AM
njkayaker

Unfortunate but kind of a dopey collision.

The speeds were low enough and the distances large enough that there was more than enough room for either party to stop in time.

Clearly, neither party was looking carefully at all.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-19-23 at 11:51 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 10-19-23, 11:24 AM
work4bike

I just got back from a bike ride and I couldn't stop thinking about this video. As I played it back in my head, I thought how could the driver not see the kid on a bike and then how could it take her so long to stop. Thinking I was mis-remembering the accident, so when I got home I looked at again...and I can't believe she didn't stop (she had plenty of time) and why did it take her so long to stop after hitting the kid She must have been texting or something...

BTW, this morning at 6am when I first looked at it, I didn't even finish my first cup of coffee

Old 10-19-23, 11:45 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
The fault of the collision is 50/ 50, IMO. Girl blasted out from the trees. The driver was way slow hitting the brakes both before and after tho. Who knows, likely it turned out better that the car didn't swerve.
The distance was 8 parking spots, so about 68 feet.
The driver appeared to be going a little fast for the conditions as indicated by the slightly aggressive cornering and acceleration. If you're in a parking lot, you should anticipate other people being around, and in a school parking lot you should definitely anticipate it having children. Even without leaving the scene, I'd give it 75/25 with the higher liability on the motorist. With the hit and run I'm not even going to be that generous.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 10-19-23, 12:00 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by work4bike
...how could the driver not see the kid on a bike...
The driver wasn't scanning to their left. They were in an empty parking lot (no cars) and "let down their guard".

No one would have really expected a cyclist to pop-out of the trees there. It's not like there was a road/path/sidewalk that might have given a hint somebody coming from there was possible. There was a break in the trees that the cyclist came through. So. there was some possible hint (but not a very good one).

Still, the cyclist was visible for quite a while. So, clearly, the driver wasn't looking that way. (Maybe, they were looking toward their right?)

The cyclist also had ample time to see the car.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-19-23 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-19-23, 12:04 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by JW Fas
...If you're in a parking lot, you should anticipate other people being around...
This wasn't the problem here. The parking lot was empty.

The problem was that the driver (and the cyclist!) should have been looking around (scanning) regardless of it being empty.

Both parties should have been independently competent to avoid this collision.
Old 10-19-23, 12:48 PM
Eyes Roll

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
In the past year or so, I have experienced 6 or 7 incidents where car drivers intentionally passed by me and entered my bike path, attempting to block me just for fun while I was riding my bike. If I hadn't applied my brakes, I would have collided with those cars. Interestingly, in every single instance, the car driver happened to be a woman between ages of 30 and 65.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that this incident was intentional on the part of the driver as well.

"Hey, you are cute, and your bike is cute. Let me run over you."
(or)
"How dare you to come in my way, girl? No one comes in my way. I'll run over you and teach you a lesson."

......could've happened along those ^^^ lines.

Old 10-19-23, 12:58 PM
work4bike

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The driver wasn't scanning to their left. They were in an empty parking lot (no cars) and "let down their guard".

No one would have really expected a cyclist to pop-out of the trees there. It's not like there was a road/path/sidewalk that might have given a hint somebody coming from there was possible. There was a break in the trees that the cyclist came through. So. there was some possible hint (but not a very good one).

Still, the cyclist was visible for quite a while. So, clearly, the driver wasn't looking that way. (Maybe, they were looking toward their right?)

The cyclist also had ample time to see the car.
I'm not totally letting the kid (11-years old) off the hook. However, the bulk of the fault goes to the adult and that's before factoring in that she left the scene.

The driver didn't have to be scanning to the left. If you look at the video at the 47-second point and allow it to go forward from there, the kid first enters the parking lot at about the 50-second point. At the time the cyclist was directly in front of the driver, because the driver had not even completed her right turn and was facing the kid. And if you allow the video to roll from the 50-second point you see that the kid was directly in line with the car, i.e. fully visible.

I'm kind of curious how many feet was traveled in this time span from the 47-second point until the impact at the 52-second point.

Old 10-19-23, 01:18 PM
njkayaker

I'm not totally letting the kid (11-years old) off the hook.
There doesn't seem to be anything about this situation that was beyond the ability of an 11-year-old to handle.

I'm sort of guessing the cyclist "let down their guard" (too) since they would have already been in collisions before this one if the lack of attentiveness was characteristic.

However, the bulk of the fault goes to the adult...
The cyclist only can control what they do.

...that's before factoring in that she left the scene.
That doesn't really "factor in" with preventing the collision in the first place.

The driver didn't have to be scanning to the left. If you look at the video at the 47-second point and allow it to go forward from there, the kid first enters the parking lot at about the 50-second point. At the time the cyclist was directly in front of the driver, because the driver had not even completed her right turn and was facing the kid. And if you allow the video to roll from the 50-second point you see that the kid was directly in line with the car, i.e. fully visible.
There was (it appears) a long time to see the cyclist. There should have been some chance of seeing the cyclist even in their peripheral vision.

You can't tell where the driver was looking. Maybe, the driver was looking right. If so, "scanning left" is referring to left of where they were looking. It's possible that the driver didn't register the cyclist even looking directly at them.

It's fairly weird the collision happened.

The cyclist emerged from the gap in the trees and a bit later turns towards the car (so the car is pretty much in front of them). They then turned to the left and rode straight across the path of the car. Maybe, they expected the car to drive behind them? The driver straightens out from a right turn. Before the collision, the cyclist turns left (trying to avoid the collision, it would seem).

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-19-23 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-19-23, 03:54 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Video starts at :48; cyclist comes into view at :50 and is hit at :53 and the crash comes to a complete stop at :58

Observations:

a) Looking at the angles, it is possible the cyclist was behind the A-pillar for a critical part of the 3-seconds.
b) Three seconds is not a lot of time. Reaction time is variable but say 1-1.5 seconds.
c) Very hard to understand why motorist did not stop sooner. The vision and sound directly in front of the motorist should have generated a reaction. A stop time of 5 seconds is more consistent with 50 mph, and the motorist clearly wasn't driving that fast.

I'm interested in what lessons I can take away from this crash. "Whose fault is it?" may be of interest to lawyers and insurance companies but a hit cyclist hurts a lot more than the downside of a dented fender. Bad subsequent behavior is what it is.

So takeaways:
1) Those pesky A-pillars can block a motorist's view of me. My spine should tingle when I'm at that angle...
2) I often succumb to the "there's no one around" logic to relax my situational awareness when I'm on the road. That's really only valid when there are no vision blockers .. and most of the time, there are vision blockers..

I grouse a bit about the "blame game" because all of us on the road need to do what we can to put lots of slices of swiss cheese in the way of an injury. In this particular case, at a school, we ask people to drive slower because children are less aware.
Old 10-19-23, 04:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,301 Times in 2,948 Posts
To be fair, the driver got out of the car and asked the girl if she was okay, and the girl said she was.
Old 10-19-23, 06:54 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
To be fair, the driver got out of the car and asked the girl if she was okay, and the girl said she was.
She had just been hit by a car. Adrenaline and shock can mask a lot of damage, that's why we adults are told to never say "I'm fine" after being hit.

Florida (wo)man; 'nuff said.

ETA: The kid was working with the facilities she'd been given, which begs the question; why is that path there and why isn't there a crosswalk or some kind of marking to indicate kids may come through?
Likes For Korina:
Old 10-19-23, 08:49 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Both parties should have been independently competent to avoid this collision.
Originally Posted by JW Fas
Even without leaving the scene, I'd give it 75/25 with the higher liability on the motorist.
The fault of the collision is 50/ 50, IMO.
Ok, but... one of these parties is an adult operating a potentially deadly motor vehicle that requires training and a license. The other is a child on a bike. Let's not act like these two are on the same playing field.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 10-19-23, 09:19 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
She had just been hit by a car. Adrenaline and shock can mask a lot of damage, that's why we adults are told to never say "I'm fine" after being hit.

Florida (wo)man; 'nuff said.

ETA: The kid was working with the facilities she'd been given, which begs the question; why is that path there and why isn't there a crosswalk or some kind of marking to indicate kids may come through?
bc those that sign off on such decision making lack common sense & likely other skills too.

If it's truly a hit & run, the driver needs to own it.
Old 10-19-23, 09:24 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
Ok, but... one of these parties is an adult operating a potentially deadly motor vehicle that requires training and a license. The other is a child on a bike. Let's not act like these two are on the same playing field.
where are legal guardians of the child?
the child should not be left unsupervised if both parties are not to be viewed equally.
A public property that has held such an incident isn't the same if it happened out in front of the child's house imo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.