Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help Needed in Identifying early 1980s Frame.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help Needed in Identifying early 1980s Frame.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-20, 12:47 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
I'm somewhat shocked to think that I'm the first one in this thread to say, nay, shout: "HOLY MOLY, THAT HAS TO BE THE BEST DUMPSTER FIND IN THE WORLD, EVER!!!!!!!" Not sure that's enough exclamation marks, so here's some more: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was just a "given"...
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 11-01-20, 05:38 PM
PhotonDon

Bikes: 97 Litespeed Classic, 72 Raleigh International, 72 Motobecane Grand Record, 1985 Trek 760, 2018 Steve Rex Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 24 Posts
No saddle? Meh, I woulda just left it. NOT!!
Likes For PhotonDon:
Old 11-01-20, 05:48 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I have heard there was (maybe still is) a hotbed of custom building centered in Adelaide, any way of reaching out to some experts in that area?
The OP has put the question to the folks on the Australian BNA forums (bicycles.net.au) but there's not a lot to go on. Wayne Roberts has been mentioned, but nothing concrete.
Old 11-01-20, 09:05 PM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
The Hitachi mark does mean it was cast there, but that's not the "brand". I think it's an Eisho shell, and they used Hitachi as their casting partner. Takahashi also made shells and crowns with the Hitachi mark.

The lugs are either Eisho Royal or a very good knock-off — I'm betting they are real Eisho lugs. Which is a good thing, they are terrific, super well made and aesthetically pleasing (to me). They're popular with high-end Japanese FBs, especially Keirin. You could get them in other countries though, so this doesn't narrow it down. I made maybe a half-dozen custom frames with those lugs.

I slightly preferred the Takahashi shell (also cast by Hitachi as I said) but my reasons are not important — the Eisho shell is awesome, way nicer than a Cinelli IMHO. The castings you can buy nowadays are mostly crap by comparison. I don't mean they break or anything practical like that, I just mean the curves aren't as pleasing and the surface finish is rougher. You have to hold the raw shell or lugs in your hands to appreciate how finely-made they were. Or maybe still are, if they're still made? I haven't been able to find any to buy for quite some time, but no doubt there are stashes of them in some better Keirin framebuilders' ateliers. Since I'm not currently building frames, I haven't been looking too hard.

Mark B in Seattle
bulgie Thats great to hear that hopefully another little piece of the puzzle could be solved. Seems like your "word" is it as backed up by other members here so thanks for taking a look. Mark
Old 11-01-20, 09:08 PM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Originally Posted by unworthy1
Excellent details noted by Mark B. (bulgie) and he's one who knows! Agree with the "Eisho" connection and even though all these bits were very popular with US Custom builders, maybe even more so with Aussie builders (proximity). I have heard there was (maybe still is) a hotbed of custom building centered in Adelaide, any way of reaching out to some experts in that area?
Yep from my limited research, it seems that Adelaide was where the 80's bike frame experts were mostly residing. I get a feeling that if it is a custom build there is a pretty slim chance of "nailing down" the builder??
Old 11-01-20, 09:25 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
That fork crown looks very CCM like- not stating any connection but it is unusual in my book.

There must be a biz down under that takes in a lot of repaints? I would look to one of them and see if they recognize the metalwork

I think the fork is a strong pointer
Likes For repechage:
Old 11-01-20, 09:51 PM
MarkinOz

Originally Posted by repechage
That fork crown looks very CCM like- not stating any connection but it is unusual in my book.

There must be a biz down under that takes in a lot of repaints? I would look to one of them and see if they recognize the metalwork

I think the fork is a strong pointer
Couple more photos of the fork crown....

Old 11-01-20, 10:17 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
I think it would be a 'long shot' to identify the builder of this frame. It has all the hallmarks of a locally (Aust.) built frame without any sort of serial number. I would guess a mid to late 80's build considering the two sets of bidon mounts. It is a re-paint as previously discussed and the decals were easy to come by on sheets of assorted decals available around that time. I would guess that the frame owner may not have had access to original decals as they were really hard to find back then so the owner went for a 'set' of decals that would just suit the frame and possibly the components used to kit the frame out.
I agree with Gary that probably the Campy decals were chosen when the frame was repainted because of the ease of getting them compared to the difficulty of getting original ones. As a painter myself, the paint job does not look professional. The surface should be much smoother. An amateur painter would have difficulty convincing the original builder or painter to get their decals - especially back in the 80's.

The fork crown is very distinctive and might lead us to whoever built the frame. The problem is that there have been many custom builders that got into it for awhile and then left to make more money in some other kind of work.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 11-01-20, 10:19 PM
MarkinOz

Originally Posted by pcb
I'm somewhat shocked to think that I'm the first one in this thread to say, nay, shout: "HOLY MOLY, THAT HAS TO BE THE BEST DUMPSTER FIND IN THE WORLD, EVER!!!!!!!" Not sure that's enough exclamation marks, so here's some more: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only way it could be any better would be if the frame was clearly the work of a master builder, including Bulgie, identified as such with original paint/decals. There's easily north of US$1k in just the 50th Anniv parts after they're cleaned up. Potentially north of $2k if they clean up real pretty.

My first thought was it could be a show bike frame/build, maybe by a local Oz importer, so matching Campy/Columbus was less important than it might be for Campy proper. But could just as easily be a rabid Campy fan's feverish dream bike, nothing but Campy decals and 50th Anniv bits. I'm not a rabid Campy fan, but I could stare lovingly at that bike, displayed in my living room, for many a year.

Bulgie the master builder has a keen eye for the bits and much else, his word is final on that score. It seems to me that there aren't any identifiable details in the frame construction that tie it to any particular builder, or even a smaller group/region of builders. There could be something there that somebody will spot, but nothing very distinctive so far. It's important to note that doesn't mean the frame is any way inferior, it looks very well-built. There just doesn't appear to be any unique "signature" feature that would help pin down the actual builder.

I don't want this to take a morbid turn, but if OP knows the name of the original owner, or can figure it out, the undergrad historian in me, combined with the space-age cyberstalker in me, thinks it might be worth doing some web searching to see if they had any online presence. They might have posted something about the bike in a forum somewhere, sometime. Might turn up nothing, might find their post saying: "Hey, I just had my custom Llewellyn repainted with only Campy decals to show off my 50th Anniv parts." Cyberstalker confession: Llewellyn was the first hit I got searching for "australia bicycle framebuilder." I know an Ozzie named Peter Somebody built the Scandium Fuji Pro frames 20yrs ago, but can't remember his last name, and couldn't get a search hit.

Update: just found it, Peter Teschner. He didn't start building till '90, not sure he ever built lugged frames. Looks like he started importing/repping another brand before leaving the biz in 2012 to head a local gov't tourist promotion council, then went back into the bike biz in '18 as GM of the bicycle division of Titomic, a local hi-tech metallurgy company. He has 3 children....sorry, just making up that last bit about possible children. Geez, I gotta get off the internet....

But the most important thing to say is: Well done, sir.
Thanks pcb , as you can probably tell I’m pretty excited at the thought of my first renovation but equally excited about finding out this bikes past. I’ve taken your advice and tried to find out details of the deceased owner, will see what happens with that??

The local (well Australia wide) thread I’ve started on bicycle network Australia (as pointed out by P!N20 has come up with the name of Wayne Roberts who built frames out of Adelaide, South Australia in the 70’s & 80’s. The decals around the Bidon mounts were one link as were some “double circle markings” around the BB shell that were pointed out on a Roberts frame but on the headset lugs. I think I’m “grasping at straws” to be honest but you’ve got to look down every avenue, right??

I’ll post the similarities, see what you think....

The unused 50th hubs....😍

The diamond bidon mount decals...

Double circle embellishments...

....both sides of the BB Shell.

This is a Wayne Roberts Pursuit frame.

These heart shape embellishments on the rear brake bridge are the only other clues available.....
Old 11-01-20, 10:49 PM
MarkinOz

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I agree with Gary that probably the Campy decals were chosen when the frame was repainted because of the ease of getting them compared to the difficulty of getting original ones. As a painter myself, the paint job does not look professional. The surface should be much smoother. An amateur painter would have difficulty convincing the original builder or painter to get their decals - especially back in the 80's.

The fork crown is very distinctive and might lead us to whoever built the frame. The problem is that there have been many custom builders that got into it for awhile and then left to make more money in some other kind of work.
Thanks Doug Fattic appreciate your thoughts. Its funny, everytime i look at the paintwork now i can see the imperfections. The thought of removing the paint and revealing the bike for what she is, is tempting!!
Old 11-01-20, 11:13 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

The cutout in the reinforcement in the rear brake bridge is not particularly helpful. It was an off the shelf item any frame builder could buy from a supplier that inventoried them.

Those NOS 50th anniversary hubs are awesome!
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 11-01-20, 11:29 PM
MarkinOz

[QUOTE=Doug Fattic;21771363]The cutout in the reinforcement in the rear brake bridge is not particularly helpful. It was an off the shelf item any frame builder could buy from a supplier that inventoried them.

Wow, there really isn’t much to work off on this frame!! 😂
Old 11-01-20, 11:35 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
The 70's and 80's was a time when next to no one bought and rode an off the shelf race bike in Australia and custom frame builders were numerous. I remember one guy having a Bianchi but that may have been just the frame.
I had a custom Lennie Rogers frame built back then from Reynolds 531db but I believe that the previous lead you have would be better.
There really were a lot of custom frame builders in Australia at the time.
Likes For AnthonyG:
Old 11-01-20, 11:46 PM
MarkinOz

Originally Posted by AnthonyG
The 70's and 80's was a time when next to no one bought and rode an off the shelf race bike in Australia and custom frame builders were numerous. I remember one guy having a Bianchi but that may have been just the frame.
I had a custom Lennie Rogers frame built back then from Reynolds 531db but I believe that the previous lead you have would be better.
There really were a lot of custom frame builders in Australia at the time.
Thanks AnthonyG I like the idea of riders having their own custom frames, completely different to today’s new bike market!!😳

I think I’m starting to get used to the idea that the frame is what it is and I’ll enjoy it like that. As great as it would be to know the full history of a bike, the enjoyment of bringing it back to life, adding it to the collection and most importantly riding the bike it’s not the “ be all and end all”.
Old 11-02-20, 05:14 AM
MarkinOz

Seat tube taken out with no visible markings inside.

Will try and take the forks off tomorrow and see if any markings on them and/or in the head tube.
Old 11-02-20, 05:59 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

One place on a frame that shows a builder's individual style is how the dropouts are attached to the blades and stays. A picture of that area would be helpful. Also Campy dropout edges are typically smoothed by the builder in some fashion. They could be squared or rounded depending on how the builder wanted them to look. It will probably be a particular combination of ordinary factors (for example the distinctive fork crown treatment and bottom bracket shell hole drilling) that can lead to builder identification.

Potential sources of knowledge could be painters that might recognize an individual's work.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 11-02-20, 06:40 PM
MarkinOz

One place on a frame that shows a builder's individual style is how the dropouts are attached to the blades and stays. A picture of that area would be helpful. Also Campy dropout edges are typically smoothed by the builder in some fashion. They could be squared or rounded depending on how the builder wanted them to look. It will probably be a particular combination of ordinary factors (for example the distinctive fork crown treatment and bottom bracket shell hole drilling) that can lead to builder identification.

Potential sources of knowledge could be painters that might recognize an individual's work.
Seatstay and fork dropouts.....

Old 11-02-20, 10:44 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Those are pretty distinctive stay to rear dropout treatments. The front is a fairly common method to finish that joint. I believe that the combination of the fork crown treatment and the drilled holes in the BB shell along with the way the rear dropouts are filed should be distinctive enough to determine who the builder is. The problem of course is that whoever it is might not have made very many so it might be difficult to find him.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 11-02-20, 11:40 PM
MarkinOz

Those are pretty distinctive stay to rear dropout treatments. The front is a fairly common method to finish that joint. I believe that the combination of the fork crown treatment and the drilled holes in the BB shell along with the way the rear dropouts are filed should be distinctive enough to determine who the builder is. The problem of course is that whoever it is might not have made very many so it might be difficult to find him.
Doug Fattic Thanks again for your insight, appreciate your eye for detail and what that intails.

I removed the seat post and forks from the headset today, doesn’t look to have revealed much more than I’ve already been told thus far. Thoughts??

Head tube Bottom

Head tube bottom

Head tube top

Head tube top
Old 11-03-20, 12:05 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

My main thought is that I would definitely use a hone to clean the inside of the seat tube before putting the seat post back in. I'm also a little surprised they got the vent hole a lot off center. It isn't important for function but it indicates a sloppiness there not shown in other areas of making the frame. Often there is some kind of serial # on the steerer and there doesn't appear to be one. That might indicate an amateur builder (perhaps under the eye of a pro builder). I don't see other areas that looks like a beginner's work like blobs of brazing material sticking out beyond the lug shorelines for example. Also the end of seat stay top end takes more work and skill than using a more common (and faster to do) plug style (called a "top eye"). One has to be reasonably good to file the rear dropouts as nicely as those were done so that would indicate some experience was involved. The color written on the steerer would also indicate it was professionally done so the painter can keep track of the fork with the frame. I'm not impressed with the quality of the paint work if it was a professional. Sometimes the painter may be a car painter and not familiar with how difficult it is to paint a bicycle frame.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 11-03-20, 12:29 AM
AnthonyG

Curiosity got the better of me and as a long shot I pulled my custom Lennie Rogers frame out of storage. The detail treatments don't match although I wasn't really expecting them to. The Wayne Roberts lead look much more promising.
Likes For AnthonyG:
Old 11-03-20, 02:50 AM
MarkinOz

My main thought is that I would definitely use a hone to clean the inside of the seat tube before putting the seat post back in. I'm also a little surprised they got the vent hole a lot off center. It isn't important for function but it indicates a sloppiness there not shown in other areas of making the frame. Often there is some kind of serial # on the steerer and there doesn't appear to be one. That might indicate an amateur builder (perhaps under the eye of a pro builder). I don't see other areas that looks like a beginner's work like blobs of brazing material sticking out beyond the lug shorelines for example. Also the end of seat stay top end takes more work and skill than using a more common (and faster to do) plug style (called a "top eye"). One has to be reasonably good to file the rear dropouts as nicely as those were done so that would indicate some experience was involved. The color written on the steerer would also indicate it was professionally done so the painter can keep track of the fork with the frame. I'm not impressed with the quality of the paint work if it was a professional. Sometimes the painter may be a car painter and not familiar with how difficult it is to paint a bicycle frame.
Thats great to hear that the brazing and filing work has your stamp of approval. I thought
I might find an original paint colour as all comments were pointing to a respray. Your thoughts on the paint work being completed by someone who isn’t familiar with painting bike frames makes sense. Shame, I really think I’m going to have to strip it back and get the paint right.
Old 11-03-20, 03:32 AM
MarkinOz

Curiosity got the better of me and as a long shot I pulled my custom Lennie Rogers frame out of storage. The detail treatments don't match although I wasn't really expecting them to. The Wayne Roberts lead look much more promising.
Interesting to read that there were multiple “Sydney” frame builders associated with the Lennie Rogers frame.
Old 11-03-20, 03:44 AM
AnthonyG

Originally Posted by MarkinOz
Interesting to read that there were multiple “Sydney” frame builders associated with the Lennie Rogers frame.
Yes. Lennie Rogers ran a bike shop and had the frames build for him and he was far from the only shop in Australia to do this. Cecil Walker bikes in Melbourne is known for doing this as well.
So the question of authenticity could take a turn here.
Did you frame originally come with a "shop" name on it or a builders name on it?
Old 11-03-20, 03:54 AM
MarkinOz

Yes. Lennie Rogers ran a bike shop and had the frames build for him and he was far from the only shop in Australia to do this. Cecil Walker bikes in Melbourne is known for doing this as well.
So the question of authenticity could take a turn here.
Did you frame originally come with a "shop" name on it or a builders name on it?
i literally saved the bike from a Northern Beaches tip 3 weeks ago. The bike is a mystery hence me reaching out to see if anything looked similar to other users bikes or ones they knew of. A real mystery.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.