Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Seagull Century Salisbury, MD

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Seagull Century Salisbury, MD

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-10, 01:46 PM
Von Stively

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Completed my first century. The first 62 was soo easy with the wind at our backs. 17-20mph. Then the ride back to SU with the wind in our face -13mph and tired. 7 hours total including break time. Feel fine today/day after. I've heard the wind on Delmarva is as bad as climbing hills. So my report... 42 years old, first 100 miles in one day. It was a good challenge. That head wind made me earn it. Although there were people who were going much faster than me, much faster.

Curiious: Is 7 hours okay for a first try?
Old 10-11-10, 07:01 AM
davemd1820

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats on completing your first century. I live in Frederick County, MD and our training rides are all hilly. With that said, the Seagull Century is no walk in the park. The DelMarVa mountains (wind) can be brutal. This year's wind was not as strong as last year's. Your time sounds good. What was your average speed over the 101 miles?
Old 10-11-10, 10:26 AM
SilverSurfer357
Prty good at drinkn' beer

Bikes: Cannondale R1000Aero Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Von, well done!

Here is my ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/52383611

About a 5:40 moving and 6:40 overall. I enjoyed every rest stop!

Biggest lessons learned: Do a training ride longer than 30 miles and don't eat the ice cream!

Last edited by SilverSurfer357; 10-11-10 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-11-10, 05:54 PM
Von Stively

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That garmin data is too cool. I have the Oregon hand held for my boat. I wonder if it can do the same with the road SD card. As far as my average speed overall I don't know. I'd guess about 15-16mph. My breaks were short. Use the rest room, fill up, eat a quick snack. The last rest stop I also sat for about 5-10 minutes and just rested. I was stoked just to do it.
Old 10-11-10, 06:16 PM
veloellen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely not 10K unless 3K riders did it renegade. Highest numbers I saw were in the 7000's....
Old 10-11-10, 06:19 PM
veloellen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 Seagull Century - By the Numbers. This was written by Jerry Jackson for the Baltimore Sun.

• Thirty-eight states were represented as well as Canada and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

• Riders ranged in age from 6 to 80.

• More than 200 cyclists were riding with teams to raise money for heath concerns including Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training, Alzheimer’s Association ALZ Stars and the American Cancer Society’s DetermiNation.

• Staging the event happened with the help of more than 300 campus and community volunteers.

• More than $100,000 was raised for the local chapter of Habitat for Humanity, one of the many community and campus programs the Century supports.

• $2.5 million – Estimated annual economic impact on the Lower Eastern Shore, according to SU’s Perdue School of Business.

• The first Sea Gull Century in 1989 had 68 riders.
Old 10-12-10, 04:14 PM
roadCruiser76

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert Disc, Orbea Aletta, Fuji Transonic,Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veloellen
2010 Seagull Century - By the Numbers. This was written by Jerry Jackson for the Baltimore Sun.

• Thirty-eight states were represented as well as Canada and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

• Riders ranged in age from 6 to 80.

• More than 200 cyclists were riding with teams to raise money for heath concerns including Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training, Alzheimer’s Association ALZ Stars and the American Cancer Society’s DetermiNation.

• Staging the event happened with the help of more than 300 campus and community volunteers.

• More than $100,000 was raised for the local chapter of Habitat for Humanity, one of the many community and campus programs the Century supports.

• $2.5 million – Estimated annual economic impact on the Lower Eastern Shore, according to SU’s Perdue School of Business.

• The first Sea Gull Century in 1989 had 68 riders.
This from the Seagull Century website:

This year’s ride attracted over 8,100 riders on bicycles of all shapes and sizes, from recumbent to tandem (including President Janet Dudley-Eshbach and husband Joe) to even unicyclists braving the miles.

I saw the guy on the unicycle and several people riding hand-cycles.
Old 10-12-10, 04:25 PM
SilverSurfer357
Prty good at drinkn' beer

Bikes: Cannondale R1000Aero Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really was a good time. Seemed like a lot more than 200 Team in Training folks, they were all over. I'll probably plan on doing it again next year.
Old 10-13-10, 07:29 AM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadCruiser76
Stats for the new Snow Hill century route: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/52337027
So it looks like they actually managed to find a route that is flatter than the Assateague route - impressive!

The question is: how did it ride?
Old 10-15-10, 03:21 PM
roadCruiser76

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert Disc, Orbea Aletta, Fuji Transonic,Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by songfta
So it looks like they actually managed to find a route that is flatter than the Assateague route - impressive!

The question is: how did it ride?
It was very nice. If anything I may have liked it even more than the Assateague route. It didn't have that dicey section on the way up to Assateague where you cross the bridge there. Also the rest stop at the bay was very nice - it was hard to want to get going again after that. I would definitely recommend trying it to anyone who has done the other route before, assuming they offer it again next year.