Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Bike Saddles

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road Bike Saddles

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 09:54 AM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thats either because of the channel, probable, or because you sat too far up on those other saddles, possible.

α
Old 03-24-12, 10:17 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Pedaler
When I got my Madone last summer, I went through the whole saddle hunt thang, too. Found a Johnny Cobb saddle (I've forgotten which exact one) that I liked a LOT and was just about to drop the dime on it when my buddy at the LBS asked me to try one more just to see what I thought. It was a Bontrager SSR. The Cobb was $250, the Bonny was $24.99. I violated all of the Rules of Cool and bought the Bonny and haven't looked back. I agree with the adage "you get what you pay for" but only to a point. Sometimes what you really get is the prestige of dropping big bank for a name. Try some cheaper saddles, you may be surprised. If not, you were planning on spending more money, anyway, right?
I'll second this one. Even about the Bontrager.

Really, take a cold look at it. I mean, forget testimonials for a minute because people tend to find one they like and stick with it forever, and ask the common sense question. How much difference can a minute change in shape and firmness really make for comfort in a road saddle? If you need lighter, more adjustable, better styling I can understand that but if you're looking for a saddle as opposed to grams or brand, why not try out the inexpensive ones?

Last edited by wphamilton; 03-24-12 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-24-12, 04:01 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
There's only one way to find a suitable saddle - try them. Really, recommendations might be interesting, but they are no help except to maybe give you some ideas which ones to try. If I were you, i'd either find a demo program at a local bike shop, or cough up the dough and buy a few from Performance (maybe 3 at a time, but you might have to try more than that), and just send back the ones you don't like. You pay some shipping of course, but what's the alternative? Buy and sell saddles on ebay.

As for the cut out- some of us are actually a lot less comfortable with one and prefer non-cut outs. Many people think they're a good thing for everyone; they're not.
Old 03-24-12, 04:38 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found out from experience that what works well for one person doesn't work for another when it comes to bike saddles. I bought four saddles and tried several more before I found one that would worked for me. You probably need to try a few out and put some miles on them if possible. Now that I have said that, I know people that can ride any saddle without any issue so they buy anything that is on sale and it works for them.
Old 03-24-12, 08:21 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I have a Bontreger SSR, that I got for $10 from the discount bin at the LBS, on my roadbike and I rode it 87 miles a couple days ago with no numbness or unusual pain. My backside was a bit sore in the morning but more muscular soreness than pressure point related and even that went away within a day. My only complaint about the SSR is that it has a slight point at the back of the thigh that rubs me just a bit wrong when I'm in the drops, but I don't ride the drops much, so not a deal breaker.

I have a Specialized Avatar (143mm as per Assometer recommendation) on my touring bike and am also happy with it. It has a smoother profile on the curve behind the thigh but it cost me 7x what the SSR did.
Old 03-24-12, 08:21 PM
rmwun54

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at this saddle.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=57285

I have been using this saddle for 5 years now and it is one of the most comfortable saddle I ever had. It comes in two width; I have two of thee 155mm size, on a road and mtb bike. And it is a nice design too.
Old 03-24-12, 08:26 PM
Mannylove

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that the only 'thing' that can make the right decision for you is your own ASS. You and your ass must become one.
Fizik has good choices.
Old 03-24-12, 11:01 PM
Mtbnomore

Bikes: Trek Domane, Soma Smoothie, Surly Big Dummy/Pacer/KM/Ogre, and a revolving collection of vintage stuff

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Selle Italia Flite 1990. Or the Fizik Aliante.

Adriano is right, though: if you're sitting too far forward, that's where you get the taint numbness.
Old 03-24-12, 11:34 PM
redvespablur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the Selle Italia Turbomatic Flow. Wide in back and skinny up front. Lotson eBay
Old 03-24-12, 11:52 PM
duckracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the forte pro sl and it works great for me. But every body is different so like others have said try a few till you find one that works for you.
Old 03-25-12, 02:18 AM
pat5319

Bikes: Seven Axiom Ti, Trek 620, Masi cylocross (steel). Masi Souleville 8spd, Fat Chance Mtn. (steel), Schwinn Triple Bar cruiser, Mazi Speciale Fix/single, Schwinn Typhoon

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdrew9
Have you actually tried any saddles? After finding mine, specialized romin evo, I know the shape that works best for me. I can't imagine buying one without trying it for a few rides. Most good shops will have a loaner/rental program.
Good point!!!!!!! also when you look at saddles from the rear you will notice some have a flatter profile like most fiziks, some will be rounder like the older but re-issued Concor, try both types and beware of saddles that have sharp corners vs being rounded near the edge sharp corners can cut circulation
Old 03-25-12, 07:00 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Find your local Specialized dealer and sit on the ass-o-meter to get an idea of what size you should be on. Then ask about their policy with Specialized saddle purchases. I believe the policy comes from Specialized and is that you have 30 or 60 days to try the saddle you buy. If you don't like it you can return it for shop credit to try another saddle.

This has worked great for both my wife and I. The butt fitting cured me of all my numbness issues and the ability to exchange saddles was key for my wife who tried like 5 different ones before she found the ride one for her.
Good advice here. I am just going through the Specialized Test Saddle Program now. Tried an Avatar...no good...picked up a Romin today....took it out for a ride and it seems to be a nice fit thus far. Your own experience may be very different of course.

Cheers,

Brian J.

― Bruce Lee
Old 03-26-12, 04:41 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have tested out a Specialized Riva also...it has a cut out and a fair amount of padding. I think it may be designed for women, but it wasn't pink and I couldn't smell any perfume on it. It was a very comfy saddle, but I didn't need all the padding.
Old 03-26-12, 07:08 AM
adriano 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ass o meter is worthless.

α
Old 03-26-12, 07:15 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Find a store that lets you try different saddles until you find the right one. If you have to try multiple stores then so be it. Do your normal rides on the saddles, for a few days if possible. Buy the saddle that works for you regardless of price. Trust me, it will be worth every penny to get a saddle that fits just right.
Old 03-26-12, 08:03 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
+1 on checking stores in your area that allow you to try before you buy.

If you cant do that, all you can do is try to address the issues you are having. If you have a significant saddle to bar drop and have perineal pain, then the relief channel can be a big help. If you saddle to bar drop is more level, you likely wont need that. If you have specific issues address those. If your main issue is that your butt hurts after a long ride, then you might just need to ride more.
Old 03-26-12, 08:52 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by adriano
ass o meter is worthless.
disagree. it should give you an idea about narrow, medium or wide saddles.

from there, you hardly have it solved as there is massive variation within each size group, but at least you know if you need a 130, 143, or 155mm saddle.
Old 03-26-12, 09:11 AM
adriano 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Firstly, a discussion about seat widths versus pelvis widths. Many years ago, when I didn’t know much about pelvic anatomy, I naively assumed that there had to be link between ‘sitbone’ separation width and seat width. To that end I used to sprinkle talcum powder on a flat wooden seat and then have customers carefully lower their backsides onto the seat in their undies, and then gently stand up again, leaving what amounted to a pressure map in the talcum powder. I then tried to correlate measurements I took from that talcum powder impression with seat widths. What came out of that exercise is that there is no clear correlation between sitbone separation width and the width of a comfortable seat for that person. There is a sort of / kind of /more or less correlation around 75% of the time, with the remaining 25% being at odds with my original assumption. Sometimes wildly at odds. Being curious I was motivated to find out why and the answer lies in the shape of the human pelvis as well as the multiplicity of seat shapes, lengths, widths, tumblehomes and so on.
I need to clear up a common misunderstanding. When people talk about ‘sitbones’ this is often taken as synonymous with the ischial tuberosities which it isn’t, and I’m as guilty of sloppy language like this as anyone. One of the things I like about writing about bike fitting is that it forces me to crystallise and tidy up my thinking, and the sitbone / ischial tuberosity conflation / confusion is an instance of this. Have a look at the pic below.
This is plastic copy of a human pelvis sitting on an SMP seat as viewed from the side. The large bony protusion at the rear is the ischial tuberosity. This is not what a cyclist sits on………….unless they ride a recumbent, or possibly a Harley. We sit on the bone at the base of the pelvis as you can see above. This is the ischiopubic ramus. You will see the slight downward protrusion approximately half way along the ischiopubic ramus. The area behind that is the inferior ischial ramus [which I'll call IIR] and the area in front of that is the inferior pubic ramus [which I'll call IPR]. We bear our weight on a bike on the the ischiopubic ramus and it is the relative loading of the IIR and IPR that plays a large part in comfort.
So why isn’t there a clear correlation between pelvis width and seat width?
The picture below is the same plastic pelvis sitting on an SMP seat as viewed from the rear. Looking closely at it gives us the major clue.

As you can see, the ischiopubic ramus narrows from rear to front. What that means is that maximum width of the pelvis is less important when it comes to determining seat width than which part of the ischiopubic ramus is bearing the majority of weight and what width the pelvis is at that point. And that will depend on the how far the pelvis is leaning forward. As the pelvis leans forward , weight is being borne less on the IIR and more on the IPR where the separation width of the left and right ramen (plural of ramus) is narrower. Which means in turn that if you have a wide pelvis but are flexible enough to be able to roll your pelvis forward well and extend your back well, you may be able to comfortably use a narrower seat than would be expected. Conversely, a rider with a narrower pelvis who is inflexible and sits with a more upright position may need a wider seat than would be obvious at first glance. Naturally, there are any number of permutations of morphology, function and seat choice in between those extremes.
The problem with this is that there is still no definitive way to say “this saddle is the best choice of the SMP range for this rider”. When I recommend a particular SMP to a rider it is usually on the basis of having observed how they function on a bike as well as their size and their global function off the bike. It is an educated guess, not a ‘fact’ and as such, I occasionally get it wrong. What I propose to do is pass on some observations gained during the successful, and occasionally unsuccessful experiences my fit clients have had with SMP’s.
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/...ll-about-smps/

α
Old 03-26-12, 09:34 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've seen that. If we assume everything Steve Hogg is correct, the ass-o-meter will still be correct 75% of the time.

I thought the world of his articles until I tried two separate test rides on Selle SMP saddles and utterly despised them.
Old 03-26-12, 12:36 PM
adriano 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
he said it took him a while to get used to it, but different stroke applies for sure. hes also a big midfoot cleat guy, and im not so convinced myself.

i think we can agree:

an assometer measures sit bones at a place where you do not sit unless its a sprung saddled townie.

saddles of the same overall width can ride very differently.

saddles of very different overall width can ride very similarly.

plenty of people have found ample sit bone support on both a specialized 143mm and any other brand 130mm.

a week of test riding >>> assometer.

α