Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Want to bike, but need advice on what to Bike on?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 06:31 PM
ryan5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello -

I am looking for recommendations on a bike for myself and my husband. We would like to become more active with our 3 children (7, 4, 2).

My husband is 5'11" and weighs 230; I am 5'4" and weigh 135.

We plan on doing recreational riding on weekends. We live by some nice paved bike trails.

Should we buy moutain bikes, hybrid? What brand? We don't want to break the bank but would like to have a comfortable ride.

We plan to get a trailer for the two little kids.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-10-09, 07:45 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you think that your riding will almost always be on paved surfaces, look at a hybrid type. The skinnier , smoother tire with be easier for the rider. I have always been happy with the large selection of Giant bikes [ look at Giant Cypress, etc. ] & they are very reasonably priced. What most people call Hybrid bikes, Giant refers to as " Lifestyle " for some reason. Look to see if there is a Giant dealer near you. You want a local dealer, for any name brand bike, to be nearby for service/warranty work.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/lifestyle/

Last edited by Esteban32696; 08-10-09 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-10-09, 07:50 AM
fatboy cycling

Bikes: 2015 Access Chinook Bravo Fat Bike /2012 Scott CR1 Comp /2009 Trek FX 7.3 White-Silver Duotone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hybrid would be best. Stay away from department store bikes. There are many good brands to choose from.
Old 08-10-09, 09:53 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Mountain bikes are designed for riding off road. Get a hybrid, or for a little faster and a better workout, get a flat bar road bike.
--> https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...eet/index.html

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 08-10-09 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-18-09, 09:06 PM
ryan5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the feedback! I visited a LBS tested a hybrid and liked it but the $400 price is a little much for me to spend. I am debating on buying a big box store bike first - what do you think?
Old 08-19-09, 05:02 AM
arej00dazed

Bikes: '09 Giant Boulder SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$400 is pretty much entry level pricing. And it'll be much much better than the wm special. However, now that I think about it, I've seen road bikes/cruisers at my LBS starting around $250 I beleive. But I didnt look too close either as I was more interested in a mtn bike.
Old 08-19-09, 05:20 AM
Esteban32696

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If,,, & ONLY IF, a bike from an LBS is over a person's budget, do I ever recommend a " big box store." Then, when I do, it will be from " Target." They have a pretty decent Schwinn hybrid type for around $200. Around here, at least, their bikes are assembled well, & ready to ride. The bikes I see from WW are put together finger tight with nothing adjusted. An LBS would charge up to $75 to straighten their assembly out & make the bike safe & rideable.
Old 08-19-09, 05:30 AM
Esteban32696

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you cannot afford a hybrid from a LBS, the Schwinn Trail Way bikes from Target, are the best I have seen. Target, at least around here, assembles the bikes very well, unlike other ' big box stores."
https://www.target.com/Ladies%E2%80%9...Schwinn&page=1
Old 08-19-09, 06:40 AM
enine

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Be careful buying from a box store first, usually it ends up costing more in the long run. Bikes, tools, etc are like that. For example my father buys walmart/sears tools, black and decker, etc drills and such. in 10 years he went through 4 cordless drills, I bought one Makita and 10 years later still have it and just replaced the battery. My one drill cost as much as two of his but after he replaced his the third time we evend out on price and the fourth time he had now spent more than I, in a couple years when he buys a new one again he'll have spent even more.
We bought Kmart bikes a few years ago. Rode a couple times and then every time we rode had to adjust things, they wouldn't shift, chain would fall off, etc. Now if your handy then adjusting the bikes every ride isn't a big deal but if your the kind who pays someone else to do maintenance and such then your going to spend more $ adjusting and fixing it than what you would have spent from the start on a good bike.
If you can't afford the $400 another place to look is craigslist. Since you already tested one at an LBS you were probably sized/fitted so you know what size to look for used.

Another thing, the more $$ bikes were some motivation for us to get out, didn't want our investment just sitting in the garage.
Old 08-19-09, 09:41 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I concur with the recommendation to look at Target over the other big-box chain. I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the Schwinn models that I've seen at my local Target store. Some of them seem good value for the money. Just avoid anything with rear suspension at those low price points.
Old 08-19-09, 10:48 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
I too would recommend Cragislist if you live in an area where Craigslist is available. You might check to see if there is a local bike club that would help. Ask for someone in the club to help you make a choice. Knowledge is king. I recently tried to help a young coworker find a suitable bike. There were quite a few to choose from, including some pretty expensive ones that had come down into her price range. The number of trophy bikes (those that get admired as the owner drives in and out of the garage in their SUV but rarely get ridden) is amazing. Nice find if you can get one.

Don't let your husband buy a lightweight one and leave you with a heavy clunker. I see that happen all the time and it is the reverse of what should be. The lighter the bike, the easier it is to ride and a smaller woman is rarely a match for a larger man when it comes to strength and endurance (notice I wrote rarely, not never!). I'd suggest a road bike for the type of riding you want to do but the riding position on a road bike may not be as comfortable as a hybrid or cross-trainer.
Old 08-19-09, 06:32 PM
enine

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ohh and def craigslist for the trailer. We got one of the nice Burley's they still looked new for half price. Find that area of your city/town where people have a lot of $ and big houses full of nice new things that don't get a lot of use.
Old 08-19-09, 07:51 PM
rmwun54

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy it used in the recycler, craiglist, ebay, a bike shop that sells used bikes, etc... before you go for the other alternative. You'll get a better bike if you know what to look for; if not settle for the other.
I have a few friends that have bought really nice used bikes for a steal of a price, so start from there.
If you don't know what to look for find someone that does.
Old 08-19-09, 08:21 PM
Sci-Fi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hybrid, Comfort, or Cruiser bikes are fine. Look for the ones that have multiple speeds so you have a variety of gearing for the terrain or load you are pulling (kids and/or groceries).

MTN bikes are ok, just have to replace the knobby tires with slicks or treaded tires.
Old 08-19-09, 08:35 PM
rsbeach

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP, Trek 740 hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check this site out: https://wwwbiketoledo.net. Lots of good stuff for getting started.
Old 08-28-09, 04:29 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
recommending someone who has no experience with bicycle tech to buy from Craigslist is like pushing someone who barely swims in a river full of crocodiles.
Old 08-31-09, 09:57 PM
gilson65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant sedona are well recomended
Old 09-01-09, 01:00 AM
GeorgePaul

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team road bike, Giant XTC mountain bike , Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wunderkind
recommending someone who has no experience with bicycle tech to buy from craigslist is like pushing someone who barely swims in a river full of crocodiles.
+1. ryan5: Go to a few local bike shops and test ride some bikes. BTW, around here (SoCal) Electra Townies are very popular and, I think, would suit your purposes. But there are lots of other similar bikes to choose from.

Last edited by GeorgePaul; 09-01-09 at 01:06 AM.