Old 08-28-09, 01:05 PM
HC203

Bikes: Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Well, I tried, but the roof's not done and as of 1am this morning, I had leaks of rain into the house.

NOT happy.
Last night was definitely not the time to worry about your roof. Is somebody working on it?

Hey Charlie,
Welcome back. I have neighbor friends who moved out to Vancouver a coupel of years ago. They love it though they say the winters are quite wet, that whole northern rainforest thing they got going there.
Old 08-29-09, 04:26 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HC203
Last night was definitely not the time to worry about your roof. Is somebody working on it?

Hey Charlie,
Welcome back. I have neighbor friends who moved out to Vancouver a coupel of years ago. They love it though they say the winters are quite wet, that whole northern rainforest thing they got going there.
@Charlie - hey, welcome back!

@Harry - yes, the new roof is laid; gutter and downspouts will be completed on Sunday.

The bank is still futzing around with the loan, so I had to pay the roofers out of my own pocket to keep them going. Well, I guess, they're all my own pockets in the long run, but at least the loan will be tax deductible.
Old 08-30-09, 08:22 AM
aquateen

Bikes: CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anyone doing the Indian Head century in a few weeks? I'm starting to freak out about it a bit. It's my first century. My buddy and I have been doing pretty consistent 50 mile rides through the hills of Potomac and yesterday we did 60. This morning I looked at the elevation for the ride and my stomach dropped a bit...
Old 08-30-09, 02:21 PM
greaterbrown

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aquateen
Anyone doing the Indian Head century in a few weeks? I'm starting to freak out about it a bit. It's my first century. My buddy and I have been doing pretty consistent 50 mile rides through the hills of Potomac and yesterday we did 60. This morning I looked at the elevation for the ride and my stomach dropped a bit...
It's very well run. Harry and I did it a couple years back. Maxine has also ridden it. Great food and support. Very pretty route. There are a couple longer hills, but overall climb is low. Try to get in 2-3 short hard rides this week. Then push for another 60 miler next weekend. Then 2 short and very easy rides the week before the century. Ride the Indian Head slow and steady, but don't spend too much time in the rests. You'll enjoy it. This is a great ride for a first 100 miler.
Old 08-30-09, 03:47 PM
HC203

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indian Head-It was last year that we did it, I also did it the year before. I hope to do it this year as it's a great mellow ride to do after the CWC, though I have a party to go to that night after the CWC, so not sure I'll be willing to get up and drive all the way down there, the morning haul aint so bad but coming back through traffic is suck.
There's one long climb at the end that I recall people fretting over but it was no big deal. You'll be fine.

You could try the Bay Country Century this weekend-I am.

My weekend-Picked up some bug during my road trip to Virginia. Did 27 yesterday morn, bagged my long run, set out for 55 today but turned back at ten, no juice. Sometimes you just gotta rest.
Old 08-30-09, 08:09 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today's ride: ~132 miles up and down the Susquehanna River Valley; over 9,000 ft of climbing:

https://bimactive.com/ba/journal/post/10783/26148
Old 08-30-09, 10:23 PM
Trek760

Bikes: Kona Rove DL, Donnelly G//C

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, I'm Rick Tillery and just wanted to say hi. It sounds like you have an active group on here. I just moved back to MD from Wichita Falls, TX (home of the Hotter'n Hell 100) after being laid off. I hope to catch up with you on the road.

BTW, love the idea of running a bright headlight during the day... I'll have to start doing that.

Be well and keep the wheels right side down.

Rick
Old 08-31-09, 05:21 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek760
Hey guys, I'm Rick Tillery and just wanted to say hi. It sounds like you have an active group on here. I just moved back to MD from Wichita Falls, TX (home of the Hotter'n Hell 100) after being laid off. I hope to catch up with you on the road.

BTW, love the idea of running a bright headlight during the day... I'll have to start doing that.

Be well and keep the wheels right side down.

Rick
Hey Rick! Welcome.

I ride with the DC Randonneurs once in awhile. They do long distance cycling and usually one century per day on the weekends. They can be found here: https://www.dcrand.org See their "unofficial" training ride link here: https://www.dcrand.org/weekends/weekend.shtml

Last edited by NoRacer; 08-31-09 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-31-09, 08:28 AM
crosstraining

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

Was out for a short ride yesterday, and notice a whole bunch of bright new multi-colored route arrows had been spraypainted all over my roads.

Who's holding the big group ride through southern AA/northern Calvert?

Thanks,
Old 08-31-09, 09:20 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crosstraining
Hi all,

Was out for a short ride yesterday, and notice a whole bunch of bright new multi-colored route arrows had been spraypainted all over my roads.

Who's holding the big group ride through southern AA/northern Calvert?

Thanks,
Bay Country Century is this coming weekend:

https://abrtcycling.com/events/2009/2...ountry-century
Old 09-01-09, 06:53 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by HC203

Hey Charlie,
Hey Harry: It is rather lush not to have a bunch of rain. Apparently winters are mild with lots of rain but serious snow very close for winter fun.

NR: Bummer 'bout the roof.

GB: good route for beer ride. Trying to get an idea of the Bistros beer list. Let's get a date together. Max will be riding a lot next Sat century(CWC??) so how about the 9/20 or 9/27?

Max:Chillin' at the beach again, nice. Should be a good wknd for it.

Seems like I missed some nasty hot weather while away. A lot of folks were cramping and sleeping

End of science year here and work is kicking my butt. Plus they want to move our lab again I always lose 3-4 months of work when they move us. Just a bunch of Admin trying to leave their mark and justify their existence. Biking is at an all time low. Still commuting but that is it. Might try to get out this Saturday if anyone is interested. I have to rebuild my brakes before I go. GB you were right I should have just replaced my brakes a few months back. I got them to work for awhile but I think my WVa ride in the dirt did them in. Later, Charlie
Old 09-01-09, 06:58 AM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by donhaller
Hey guys long time no see... How are you all doing? I see its all the same faces here with a few more new folks that I don't recognize.

Anyhow, I think the last time I posted here was over a year or so ago. Probably about 75lbs lighter ago.

I just got into other things... The last time I posted I was living in Severn and riding in the Crownsville/Crofton/Davidsonville areas. Now I have moved south and live in Chesapeake Beach. I have been here for over a year. We finally found a real nice house and we are close to the bay and not too far a commute to work for me.
Take Care, Chat Later
Hey Don: It has been quite a long time. How have you been. Last I remember we were going to do a bike ride and CRABS in S. MD!!! October is the best crab month. Think about it. Charlie
Old 09-01-09, 02:11 PM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A first for me- 1,031 miles in August.
https://bikingbeerandtoast.blogspot.com/
Old 09-01-09, 03:15 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greaterbrown
A first for me- 1,031 miles in August.
https://bikingbeerandtoast.blogspot.com/
Woohoo! Good going there, GB!

That deserves a !
Old 09-01-09, 07:16 PM
joshuaandlauri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
Might try to get out this Saturday if anyone is interested. I have to rebuild my brakes before I go. GB you were right I should have just replaced my brakes a few months back. I got them to work for awhile but I think my WVa ride in the dirt did them in. Later, Charlie
Charlie I don't think I have plans saturday yet, might be able to get our early for 50 miles or so. Let me know.
Old 09-01-09, 10:29 PM
Trek760

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just thought I'd check and see if anyone ever gets together for a wrench-a-thon every now and then. I am about to start putting my Trek back together after a powdercoat and might need a little help. As with the WOT's in my Toyota truck groups I would be happy to supply beer and food. I am just lacking Campy tools and knowledge...

Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-02-09, 01:40 AM
porzana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
need help with route from Baldwin to Hopkins hospital

Folks,

(My first post. Hope it is not too long.)

I have been asked to come up with a route from Columbia, PA to Johns Hopkins Hospital for an upcoming cancer awareness ride. I have the first 44 miles through York & Harford mapped out already, but could use some help with the final section originating at Baldwin (intersection of Baldwin Mill & Sweet Air Roads) and finishing at Johns Hopkins Hospital (Broadway & Monument). As a lifelong Marylander who grew up in Towson, I am familiar with the area as a driver. However, most of my riding has been in Harford County, so I am posting to this forum for the cyclist's perspective at the recommendation of an experienced cyclist from Baltimore who I've chatted with in the past week.

I currently have two options: the first route that I am considering is mapped out at www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3152370. It takes the following roads: Baldwin Mill - Long Green Pike - Factory - Harford - Cub Hill - Old Harford - Harford - Chesterfield - Bel Air - Erdman - Macon - Lyon - Kresson - Ashland - Shannon - Monument - Madison - Broaday. Today = 20.8 miles.

The 2nd route under consideration is at www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3152390. It takes Sweet Air - Carroll Manor - Manor - Dulaney Valley - Ridgely - Kurtz - Morris - Front - Lincoln - unnamed - Nightingale - Charles - Bellona - Lake - Roland - Falls - Lanvale - Guilford - Centre - Monument - Broadway. Total = 25.1 miles.

Obviously, I want a route that is reasonably safe for the group (expected to be about 20 riders), but scenery and length are factors also. Your comments on both routes, or suggestions for route alterations are welcome.

The ride will take place on Monday, Sept 14. It will include cyclists from Indiana & Philadelphia, who will link up in Columbia, PA that morning for the ride to Hopkins. Their final destination is DC on Sep 16. It is being organized by Ken & Cindi Hart of Indianapolis. Cindi is a former US track cycling champion and 5-year breast cancer survivor.

Thanks in advance for your help.

dww
Old 09-02-09, 05:03 AM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from North Carolina!

Ironically, you all have been having far nicer weather than we have in the Outer Banks. Fair amount of rain/thunderstorms, heavy winds. But we've had some nice patches, too. I've only been out on the bike once -- yesterday, I decided I was heading out no matter what (forecast wasn't too great.) One of my friends brought his bike (a very pretty old bluish/purple Bianchi), so we rode up to the Wright Brothers Memorial and Museum at Kitty Hawk (10 miles from the house.) HEAVY head winds! The rest of the group (there are 12 of us here) decided to go, too, in cars, and we met up with them there.

But then the day turned beautiful, and we stopped at a bike shop near the memorial so another of my friends could rent a bike for the ride back. She hasn't been on a bike in about 3 years; they gave her a racy little Cannondale and she was a bit twitchy on it at first, but she got the hang of it pretty quickly, and thoroughly enjoyed her ride. (Nice tailwinds on the return trip!)

We're doing a 3-hour kayak tour this morning, and it looks like the weather may deteriorate again after today. I'm hoping to bike over to Roanoke Island on Friday.
Old 09-02-09, 08:12 AM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by joshuaandlauri
Charlie I don't think I have plans saturday yet, might be able to get our early for 50 miles or so. Let me know.
An early 50 sounds good to me. How early? 7ish? I can be earlier if needed. You're on the east side, I'm on the west so where to ride? South? Central? North?

Originally Posted by maxine
Hello from North Carolina!
Be glad you're not in Baja

Anyone read about the bicyclist that was killed in Toronto. Very sad. This will be an interesting case to follow. The Canadians have a strong cycling movement but the driver was a former Attorney General.
Old 09-02-09, 08:44 AM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by porzana
Folks,

(My first post. Hope it is not too long.)

I have been asked to come up with a route from Columbia, PA to Johns Hopkins Hospital for an upcoming cancer awareness ride. I have the first 44 miles through York & Harford mapped out already, but could use some help with the final section originating at Baldwin (intersection of Baldwin Mill & Sweet Air Roads) and finishing at Johns Hopkins Hospital (Broadway & Monument).

Thanks in advance for your help.

dww
Welcome porzana.
You've got a tough route to consider. I'm not liking the Harford rd. section of rt.#1 (very fast traffic and you're going uphill for the whole section) and I'm not liking the Charles st. section of #2 (very trafficky now made MUCH worse due to insane construction).

I'm thinking route #2 to Morris ave. then R on Seminary, L on Thornton, R on Joppa, L on Ellenham, L on Ruxton, R on Bellona. You can stay on Bellona till you're near the city line, but you will have a nice sized climb (~1mile, 16-17%) just before you cross Charles st. I'll work on the remainder to JHH later today.

-GB
Old 09-02-09, 02:21 PM
veloellen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree about Charles Street. Instead of getting on Charles near the beltway I would cont. to take Seminary to either Dulaney Valley or Providence - pref. Dulaney Valley. That would put you in Towson. I would then take a left onto Goucher and make my way through Wiltondale/ Stoneleigh neighborhood to Regester Ave to Sherwood and down to the city that way. I ride these roads often but hell if I know their names - I just know where to turn!
Old 09-02-09, 03:28 PM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
porzana,

I changed my mind. Using Manor rd and Dulaney seems to get you too far west. here's how I'd go:
https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.146084&z=13

Now, this route must have some caveats. Be careful climbing Harford just south of Baldwin. Put on your rear blinkies at the end of Factory rd. Also, I'm not sure if you are used to urban riding, but the cars around you will start to get a whole lot closer as you get into the city. Beware of left turning oncoming traffic. Beware of right hooks and beware of dooring from parked cars. And, keep your wits about you as you get south of Lake Montebello- bright lycra kits and fancy bikes could make a scene as you move through these very impoverished neighborhoods. Great route to see the real B'more though. Enjoy.
Old 09-02-09, 07:28 PM
HC203

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could offer up a route but I think you all have it covered. I would pop over to Caroll Manor to Manor down to Morgan Mill through Loch raven to Providence, but then you get into some mess in Towson, but I wouldn't want to ride through Parkville either.

GB-Way to go on the miles. I have stopped counting miles but hours instead, two hours a day, one bike, one run, or more, at least for September, trying to finally drop a few more pounds before the Baltimore and Philly half marathons. Doing the Bay Country century this weekend and maybe a few other long ones. CWC next week and maybe Indian Head.

Trek-Mind if I ask where you got your powdercoating done? You can pm me if you like. I have a Cannondale frame that I stripped down to the metal.
Old 09-02-09, 08:40 PM
Trek760

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HC,

She's there now, waiting for the special yellow coating to come in. The place is in Manassas, VA and they are very bike centric. The site is www.figureengineering.com. You could have left the paint on, they do a special media stripping and blasting. I checked out a frame that just finished being prepped, it was cool looking and felt strange... rough, not smooth. I am thinking of having my MTB done like that, bare steel and decals. It is usually a 1 day turnaround but because I am using a special color coating and doing the lugs and tubes different colors it is going to take a little longer.
Old 09-03-09, 07:15 AM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek760
HC,

She's there now, waiting for the special yellow coating to come in. The place is in Manassas, VA and they are very bike centric. The site is www.figureengineering.com.
Wow. Very nice work- from the Atala commuter (beautiful, but I wouldn't want to ride it) to the Bridgestone RB-1 (a classic). Lug chroming and lug outlining. Pretty cool stuff.

Speaking of Treks- did you guys see the 2010 Trek District? Black, single speed, modified Madone Carbon frame and belt drive. A steal for a commuter bike- only $3300

Last edited by greaterbrown; 09-03-09 at 07:19 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.