Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Seven vs Merlin vs Serotta

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-08, 01:33 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is comparing these three makes like comparing 3 female super models - all gorgeous, well proportioned, and top of their class? Or is one significantly better than other 3?
Old 10-26-08, 01:36 PM
I'mFromVirginya
Banned

Bikes: CSK Points track, De Rosa Vega road, GT iDrive 3.0 mtb, Schwinn Paramount 8spd. beater...wish list: karate monkey ss, GT Xizang, 2009 caad9 (december) fixed gear beater of some sort.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you ever visit the seven factory youll see they are all brainwashed, and serotta is better than them for sure, dont know nothin about merlin.

none of them are still very personal, its like cannondale making custom bikes. if i ever bought one id want it to be a personal experience. indy fab!
Old 10-26-08, 01:40 PM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Bikes: Light.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Merlin or IF.

IF is an amazing company. Merlins are very hard to come by on the road.
Old 10-26-08, 01:42 PM
dekindy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would say to go with the one that your favorite or closest LBS handles. I have had a Serotta Fierte and now have a Legend because my favorite LBS has them and their fitter is Serotta trained. Also Serotta gave me fantastic turnaround when my dropout cracked including overnighting the frame so that I could have it back in less than three weeks for the one annual event that I ride which is RAIN (Ride Across Indiana).

The ride leader at my favorite training ride has a Seven and I see a lot of them and Roark's around Indianapolis. I have seen a couple Moots but have not noticed many Merlin's in the area.

Roadbikereview.com has a lot of bike and frame reviews so you could read a lot of comments about the brands there.

I assume that you are talking about a titanium or are you considering a mixture or carbon only also?
Old 10-26-08, 01:46 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why is Serotta better than Seven? Serotta's bigger now, more factory-like and institutionalized. Seven's smaller/more personalized. If I were to rate them with no experience other than looking at them and riding a few, plus what I read on 'net, I would have said Seven and IF are very similar and #1, followed by Serott and Merlin.

I'm not arguing - I don't know. But your response surprised me. Please explain. Thx.

Originally Posted by I'mFromVirginya
if you ever visit the seven factory youll see they are all brainwashed, and serotta is better than them for sure, dont know nothin about merlin.

none of them are still very personal, its like cannondale making custom bikes. if i ever bought one id want it to be a personal experience. indy fab!
Old 10-26-08, 01:47 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, Ti

Originally Posted by dekindy
I would say to go with the one that your favorite or closest LBS handles. I have had a Serotta Fierte and now have a Legend because my favorite LBS has them and their fitter is Serotta trained. Also Serotta gave me fantastic turnaround when my dropout cracked including overnighting the frame so that I could have it back in less than three weeks for the one annual event that I ride which is RAIN (Ride Across Indiana).

The ride leader at my favorite training ride has a Seven and I see a lot of them and Roark's around Indianapolis. I have seen a couple Moots but have not noticed many Merlin's in the area.

Roadbikereview.com has a lot of bike and frame reviews so you could read a lot of comments about the brands there.

I assume that you are talking about a titanium or are you considering a mixture or carbon only also?
Old 10-26-08, 01:47 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would buy the one that fits the best. I believe that Seven makes all of their bikes to order, but I would test ride all of them before deciding.

However, there are companies that can build just as good a ti bike for half the money. For example, Kish will build a custom ti frame for $2,300
Old 10-26-08, 01:48 PM
celerystalksme
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crisp

Or someone local!!!! If I were gonna go custom titanium, I'd get it done by Scott Quring right here in Michigan.

Last edited by celerystalksme; 10-26-08 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-26-08, 01:49 PM
Coyote2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by markwebb
Why is Serotta better than Seven? Serotta's bigger now, more factory-like and institutionalized. Seven's smaller/more personalized. If I were to rate them with no experience other than looking at them and riding a few, plus what I read on 'net, I would have said Seven and IF are very similar and #1, followed by Serott and Merlin.

I'm not arguing - I don't know. But your response surprised me. Please explain. Thx.
As usual, you ask some rhetorical question for which there is no objectively true answer, and then proceed to argue with anyone whose opinion differs from your own.
Old 10-26-08, 02:02 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coyote2 - get that chip off you shoulder.

My first impression was that we'd see a lot of kudos for Seven because it's most similar to IF - small enterprise, rep for quality. I thought Serotta would obviously get great remarks as would Merlin, but not as good as Seven because the other two are bigger and now more corporate than Seven. His response actually surprised me. Nothing sinister or rhetorical - I was just surprised, and I asked for more details. I'm not arguing one way or the other because I don't know and I don't think I have the answer.

Geez - chill, dude. Ya still ain't got no good Karma You're still following me around BF trying to take me down. Get a real life and quit hijacking any thread I post.

Now, please let me get back to the purpose of my OP - opinions on these 3 companies.
Old 10-26-08, 02:12 PM
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BananaTugger
Merlin or IF.

IF is an amazing company. Merlins are very hard to come by on the road.
They're all amazing, Seven, Merlin, IF, Serotta; that's the order I'd put them in.

Sevens and Merlins are readily available at the right dealer: Bay Ridge Bikes keeps a nice selection of both.

Every company has their legends:

Seven: Axiom SG
Merlin: Cyrene, Extralight, XLM Hardtail

you'll have to fill in yours
Old 10-26-08, 02:22 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah - I think the Merlin Cyrene is maybe my all time #1 road bike to lust for from modern era.

An IF mint Ti CJ slipped almost unnoticed through eBay a few weeks ago and went for $800 with new fork. OMG I missed bidding on that beauty.

I have a Litespeed. Nice but kinda utilitarian and a little heavy for a Ti bike. So I was looking at several great deals on eBay Ti bikes priced at about half retail.

I passed on a Serotta that had carbon seat stays just now. I just don't trust myself with carbon. If I damage a fork I replace the fork. Seat stays are different.

There's an awesome Seven going in about 15 minutes. I'm close to pulling the trigger. There's also 2 or 3 knock-out beautiful Merlin's, too, at dealer cost.
Old 10-26-08, 02:26 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are several custom Ti makers that create outstanding rides at good costs from what I hear.

I think there are 1 or 2 up in Indiana. I'm just not that patient.

Several complete Ti Sevens Merlins & Serottas now on eBay complete full gruopps and wheels for about same cost as a retail frame. Lots of bargains right now.

Habenero is also a good option - high quality albeit built in Asia. Pics of welds show excellent workmanship. Full Ultegra bikes around $2,500.

Originally Posted by celerystalksme
Crisp

Or someone local!!!! If I were gonna go custom titanium, I'd get it done by Scott Quring right here in Michigan.
Old 10-26-08, 02:29 PM
dekindy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How about a 953 stainless steel bike? Independent Fabrication and Waterford are the two that I have my eyes on. I am not sure what your price range is but if you are considering top of the line titanium models then the price of 953 would be reasonably close. I got a great deal on my Serotta Legend demo but if I were getting a custom fit and paying full retail then stainless steel might get my vote. Something to think about.
Old 10-26-08, 02:47 PM
dietzpa
enter user title here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serotta's bigger now, more factory-like and institutionalized. Seven's smaller/more personalized. If I were to rate them with no experience
I haven't visit where Sevens are built, but I have visit Serotta in Saratoga and it is a pretty small production with a very personal feel. I showed up unannounced and they brought me around, introduced me to everyone who touched my bike, showed my frame in the oven, and spent a LOT of time with me given all I wanted to do was say "hi."

Based on #'s of bike's I see on the road, I'd assume Seven was bigger than Serotta, but thats just an observation, not a statistic.
My local shop carries Seven, IF and Serotta: put them all side by side and I think you have to go on personal aesthetics as they all have great craftsmanship. Seven for the carbon lines, IF for the lugs, and Serotta for the classic look.
Old 10-26-08, 02:56 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Merlin, which I'm very happy with. Buddy has a Seven - he's a big guy and they picked the tubes to match his needs. I'd ride all three on crummy rodes if I could with the same set of wheels so that I see how which one suited me best.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 10-26-08, 03:20 PM
tobycat

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Moots Vamoots SL, Litespeed Classic, Trek 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moots
Old 10-26-08, 03:24 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tobycat
Moots
Exactly.
Old 10-26-08, 04:11 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah ya hear lots of good things about Moots, too. Maybe more so with their non-road models, though?
Old 10-26-08, 04:12 PM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah ya hear lots of good things about Moots, too. Maybe more so with their non-road models, though?
They're all good.
Old 10-26-08, 04:15 PM
benbaconlewis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The answer to the original question depends on which frame material the OP is looking for.
Old 10-26-08, 04:21 PM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, Ti
Originally Posted by benbaconlewis
The answer to the original question depends on which frame material the OP is looking for.
I don't know.
Old 10-26-08, 04:34 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
That's a damn good question. I have one of these, but I love both the others also and if I had to choose one . . . . . . . . damn, I don't know, I don't know.

Old 10-26-08, 05:11 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the Cyrene is the most beautiful modern frame produced. It ranks with the Cinelli's, Holdsworth Pros, and Paramount Chrome frames and a few select others of the past as ultra-classics. As a matter of fact I'm not sure there is a contemporary frame in it's class that will be considerd a classic. Ya gots a good one there, BillyD

Originally Posted by BillyD
That's a damn good question. I have one of these, but I love both the others also and if I had to choose one . . . . . . . . damn, I don't know, I don't know.

Old 10-26-08, 05:13 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the one I settled on. I had to sell a Litespeed in order to afford it, and I'll be selling a wheelset and a few of my astronomical telescopes, too. Hopefully it will be worth it - around 17.5 pounds and fairly upright position once I adjust seat. If this don't work for my back, it's either give up cycling or succumb to 'bent world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Seven.jpg (95.6 KB, 94 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.