Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help with noisy back brakes please?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09, 10:10 AM
minx79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I am hoping that this is a simple problem to solve so please help.

I have a Raleigh Tempest Mountain Bike which I bought off Ebay. The back brakes are really noisy when being used and make the most horrible and horrendous screeching noise. Now I tried replacing the brake blocks but this has not really helped much at all.

My OH has decided he is getting grumpy at trying to sort it out and moaned and muttered something about new rims etc etc

Can anyone recommend a solution to this at all?

All help and advice gratefully received.

D
Old 03-07-09, 10:52 AM
bcarter6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only just found a solution after close to a year of the same thing. I did everything everyone suggested. I tried a variety of brake pads, I scrubbed the rims, I scrubbed the pads, I read up on properly installing brake pads and did it over and over... then I gave up and took it to the shop and had them do it during a tune-up. Still the front brakes squeeled.

Solution: I bought new brakes. I was using Avid Shorty 4s cantilevers, and I bought two sets of Shimano Cantilevers BR-R550, and some Kool-Stop pads and I finally have quiet brakes (as an aside, the new brakes also brake better, and don't shimmy the front wheel when I brake hard).

A lot cheaper than new rims.
Old 03-07-09, 11:06 AM
minx79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, thanks for replying.

my OH now seems convinced it is because the rims are really dirty so he is giving them a good clean. But if it does not work, then I may well buy new brakes altogether because I don't want it doing this all the time.

I would not care so much about the noise except for the fact that when I leave for work in the morning, I am sure I wake up the whole street with the noise that they make as well as deafening myself.

My OH thinks I should just live with it but I am fed up of it. After all, he is not the one having to ride it when it is like that.

D
Old 03-07-09, 11:52 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
What is an OH?
Old 03-07-09, 04:19 PM
minx79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OH - my other half! my husband.
Old 03-07-09, 05:39 PM
minx79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, they have had a really good clean on the rims but still seems to be making the noise.

Will this go away with regular use or do I need to replace the whole brakes as bcarter6 suggested?
Old 03-07-09, 05:58 PM
norwood
GO BIG RED

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They likely don't need to be replaced, just adjusted. Properly.
Here's a good link.
https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=19
Old 03-07-09, 06:28 PM
minx79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi norwood, that's great, thanks so much. appreciate it.
Old 03-07-09, 07:08 PM
martinrjensen

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek TX900, Serotta CSI, Performance Scattante Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
User 0000 steel wool on the brake surfaces on the rims. You don't say how your OH cleaned the rims but I know that I have fixed the problem on several of my bikes by polishing the brake surfaces with the steel wool. 0000 ("4 ought" is how it's pronounced) is really fine steel wool, it won't leave any scraches
Old 03-07-09, 09:05 PM
rmwun54

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the rim true.
Old 03-07-09, 09:40 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If its the rear brake I wouldn't even waste my time. Squealing doesn't matter saftey-wise if the brakes do the job of actually stopping. And seeing as how its the rear brake and you hardly ever use it anyway, you won't be listening to the noise too often.
You do know that you should be using the front brake, right?
Old 03-09-09, 04:16 AM
minx79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks very much martinrjensen, it has improved after adjustments and I will mention to my husband about the steel wool and give that a try but it is much better.

I believe that the rim is true so that is not the issue.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-09, 04:20 AM
minx79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
If its the rear brake I wouldn't even waste my time. Squealing doesn't matter saftey-wise if the brakes do the job of actually stopping. And seeing as how its the rear brake and you hardly ever use it anyway, you won't be listening to the noise too often.
You do know that you should be using the front brake, right?

Firstly, I can waste my time if I like, if I don't want the rear brake to squeal then I will spend my time how I like trying to sort it.

Second, I didn't actually state that I was worried about the safety, I know that it does not affect the safety of the brakes whether they squeal or not, otherwise I would have called my thread "Help worried squealing brakes not safe"!

Even though the rear brake will be rarely used, I would still like it not to deafen me every time I do have to use it.

And yes I am no imbecile so do not appreciate your sarcastic and unhelpful comments about using the front brake!

If you have nothing helpful to say to me to try help me resolve this issue then please do not comment on my posts.
Old 03-09-09, 05:14 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not sure as to where the "imbecile" reference came from. Nevertheless, as a moderational note I hope we can all continue discussing brake pad adjustments in this thread without taking this any further into personal level. Thank you.

On topic: cheers D, and welcome to the Forums.

I'm fairly relaxed myself regarding brake noise, I tend to think of it as a safety feature in commuting use. Especially in the rear. Nothing catches fellow cyclists' / pedestrians' / dog walkers' attention better. But when I do find it excessive, adjustment makes all the difference. Particularly proper "toeing", which I'm sure the parktool site explains in detail. Worn brake pads can be difficult or impossible to adjust correctly, if the pad surface is already deformed. If that's the case, replace the pads even if they're not completely worn out.

--Juha, a Forum Mod

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 03-09-09, 05:59 AM
norwood
GO BIG RED

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW. I use my rear brake alot. IMO advice against using the rear brake is misguided. I ride occasionally on gravel roads and using only the front brake is likely to result in a face full of gravel. Most bikes have brakes on both ends for good reason and a rider should be able to use both as conditions warrant. And no, you shouldn't have to put up with squealing brakes.
Old 03-09-09, 02:30 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
I'm not sure as to where the "imbecile" reference came from.
++
Yeah wtf?
You took a perfectly neutral response and gave the whole thread a hostile tone with your knee jerk reaction.
Oversensitive much?

Anyway, Im going to guess someone else already suggested toe-in on the pads and you've tried that.
Another thing to consider is make sure the pads are hitting flat against the rim when seen from behind; the shaft should be perpendicular to the wheel when they make contact. So that if you look at the pad the wearing down should be even and level across the surface of the pad.
Old 03-16-09, 06:21 PM
martinrjensen

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek TX900, Serotta CSI, Performance Scattante Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by minx79
Thanks very much martinrjensen, it has improved after adjustments and I will mention to my husband about the steel wool and give that a try but it is much better.

I believe that the rim is true so that is not the issue.

Thanks.
I am glad it holded. squealing brakes can cause you to go nuts.
Old 03-22-09, 03:09 AM
bmorey

Bikes: Giant CRX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting tips here. I've read all the noisy brake threads on the site without avail. I think I'm up to the new calipers (V brakes) stage. My bike (Tektro brakes & Alexis rims) has squealed fearfully from Day 1. And yet my son's similar bike doesn't (Alexis rims but a different type). I guess Tektro is a budget solution for mid-range bikes and can be improved on.

LBS's solution was to give me new pads. I also cleaned the rims with several different cleaning agents and also used steel wool and later a nylon-abrasive wheel on them. This helps for a couple of rides then back to square one. Toe-in helps but I dislike the resulting spongy feel and increased pull length before you get strong braking. I also get a vibration under braking and turning which leads me to think the brake arms are not rigid enough. Avid brakes for the front only aren't hugely expensive so I might try them.