Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sirrus 3.0 - maintenance, upgrade recommendations, general tips…

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-21, 10:31 AM
DK_DFW

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all!

I hope this is a right place to post this.

I’m a new rider and I just got the Sirrus 3.0 bike.

While, as a kid, I rode a bike every day all day, it’s been at least 20 years since I’ve done it.

I also never owned anything other than a cheap department store mountain bike before so this is pretty new level for me.

I have many questions and have been reading a lot last several days but some of the questions I have:
  • how do you maintain these bikes so that they last a long time and perform well? Do you have to clean/lube the chain every time you ride, how often should I take it for a service?
  • What are some upgrades that you’d recommend for 2020 Sirrus 3.0? Like things that would improve the bike even more. From what I read, they say pedals, although not horrible, could use an upgrade. Also, those pedals with pins (RaceFace Chester ie.), do you need special bike shoes for those or you can ride them wearing regular sneakers? How about some other components? I’m also thinking about Ergon GP4 handlebar?
  • What do you guys recommend for tools to carry around? Also, do I need a spare inner tube…does this bike even have an inner tube?
Sorry, I know these are some newbie questions but I couldn’t find answers searching the forum so I’m hoping someone can offer some quick tips.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-21, 08:45 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I bought my 2020 Sirrus 3.0 last August and have just shy of 1600 miles logged on it. I use it on paved bike trails and also in an abandoned limestone mining area thats very bumpy. I was surprised how well it does in the limestone area. Not at first - then I remembered reading here about letting a little air out of the tired. That makes a huge difference. I just have to remember when I switch between paved and unpaved and back to adjust the tire pressure for whichever I'm doing at the time.
I replaced the saddle before I left the shop with a Selle that I had on my Crosstrail for years and it fits me well. I added a bar end mirror that keeps me from having a heart attack when a roadie blasts by me without warning. I have a wedge shaped under seat bag that has a spare tube, tire levers, 2 co2 containers and head and a set of allen wrenches. I added a kick stand which lots of others hate, but it's handy for me as I stop a lot to take pictures or take i a scene and personally I just wouldn't want to lay down the bike whenever I stop. I think I'm going to move to wider tires after the stock ones wear out because I feel that they'd be better for my riding places. I put a rack on the rear to carry camera gear. A water bottle holder and insulated water bottle is a requirement here in Florida! I do need a set of lights.
I still love the Sirrus and look forward to my rides on it! Here's a pic at the old limestone quarry.
Likes For timgriffin2:
Old 05-03-21, 08:55 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I forgot to mention that I switched over to dry lube and it's been good for me. I store my bike inside my condo and it was a real pain to clean the black gunk that covers the entire drive train - especially after rides in the limestone quarry with the grit and dust. Some say that the chain wears out sooner so I'll watch that. I usually just add some dry lube every 2-3 rides and clean everything with simple green and hot soapy water when it looks like it's time and reapply the dry lube after everything has fully dried. I'm not scientific about it or anything other than running the Strava app on every ride to log my journey and how many miles are on what bike...
Old 05-03-21, 09:16 PM
DK_DFW

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice!

Thanks for that info timgriffin2 , it’s very helpful!

I just ordered the Ergon GP4s and looking forward to put those on.

I also got the Topeak Aero Wedge Pack in Medium and i like it a lot.

Got the Crankbrothers multi tool, Cygolite streak & Hot shot lumen tail light, couple of tire levers and the BV bicycle ergonomic floor pump.

So far, I’m happy with everything except the pump which I’m not sure about, more precisely I’m not sure about the pressure gauge on it.

I’ll pump the tires to 85 psi and then I’ll disconnect the pump, connect it again 10 secs later and it’ll show 60psi!?

Anyway, I’m thinking about getting a digital pressure gauge so I can get a more precise reading.

I still need to get a spare tube, co2s…

I’m also not too crazy about putting a kick stand but it actually looks good on your bike so maybe I’ll consider it.

Plus I’d hate leaning my bike against a wall so…

I was thinking about doing the same with the tires, replacing them with slightly wider ones once I wear these out but that’s down the road.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to provide all this info!

Your bike looks great…I’ve never seen that color in person but it looks great in your pic. Mine is black/rocket red