Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Benotto 5000? Help for a newbie

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-21, 07:28 PM
Joeyflowers
Joeyflowers

Bikes: Benotto, Specialized Sirrus, Breezer Downtown, Virtue 6, Del Sol crusier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well shopping at one of my favorite thrift stores I saw a beautiful red Italian with chrome forks and stays that I just had to have. $40 and I brought her home. I'm a newbie so I need 10 posts before I can post any photographs. But this is what I've got. She's a Benotto with internal cabling and oval tubes. The BB has the heart cut out with an eye stamped in it. And then following numbers 5073 and B360 stamped on the other end. The front fork has a campy dropout but the rear dropouts have no markings at all. But here's the really weird thing. The component set is white Shimano sante which actually looks fantastic with the white Benotto lettering. I just thought it strange to have a Shimano group set like that. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of that from Benotto? I'd love to find out if those components are original. If they aren't I'd love to get the bike back to original even though I love the way it looks. Right now I can't wait to clean her up and give her a ride. As soon as I get 10 posts I'd like to post some pictures of her. Any advice I would greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-21, 10:04 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 453 Posts
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand And One Words....Adjusted For Inflation?

Originally Posted by Joeyflowers
...I'd like to post some pictures of her. Any advice I would greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance!
You are welcome, in advance, to post photos to your Album, and no doubt some kind soul will provide you with "Picture Assistance" and post them to this thread!

(Create an Album in the Gallery section of this site, I checked, and if you'd even tried to upload to this thread, the pics would have been sutomatically saved by The System, and they'd have displayed in the "Most Recent" feed. So give it a try with a Drive Side photograph?)
Old 09-10-21, 08:05 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Too many pics for a full photo assist. Here's the photo album: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/544567

Based on the top mount shift levers, I'd say the frame is too old for OEM full group Santé, which had it's debut for the 1988 model year. However, it's one of baragins of the year at that price, to the point where I'd be worried that somebody had pawned a stolen bicycle.
Old 09-10-21, 10:25 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 453 Posts
Picture Assistance

Likes For machinist42:
Old 09-10-21, 10:53 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
The forward rake on the fork is concerning. Granted, the wheels alone are worth more than what you paid, so replacement fork is probably in order.

I'd be carefully inspecting the top tube and the downtube where they meet the head tube (and their lugs) to look for cracks, wrinkles, bulges or other signs of accident. Saying this not because of the forward fork rake, but because of the lack of paint on the top tube; flaking sections of paint in that first couple inches can be the result of a forward impact and could explain the (potential) replacement fork on it.

Likes For francophile:
Old 09-10-21, 12:30 PM
Joeyflowers
Joeyflowers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the assistance!
Old 09-10-21, 12:41 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
I believe the fork rake issue is due to photo angles. Fine bicycle with a fine groupo. However, I think I’ve got the perfectly pantographed benotto group that your bike is just screaming for.

Awesome bike lad!
Old 09-10-21, 06:10 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Nice score. Years ago I found an old beat up Benotto frame on the street and converted to a single speed beater. This looks much better. And is that a "moots" seatpost - ie titanium?
Likes For bluehills3149:
Old 09-10-21, 09:49 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 124 Posts
Top of the range Benotto 5000 - a rare bike. A great find. So many unusual features and a really nice bike to ride. I found that the bottom bracket on these Benotto 5000's is a little lower than your average frame from that era placing you a little closer to the road. Perhaps that design feature complements the 'aero' design of these frames?

I think this frame does deserve a careful consideration of it's build if you are planning to keep it. I think it deserves a high end component set and, personally, that would be a Campagnolo old Super Record gruppo. Still, Shimano Sante is nice too. But, it is yours and it is your call as to what you do with it. I would guess that it's a circa. 1983 build??? I also think - from memory - that Cyclemondo produces a decal set appropriate to this frame?

Benotto was an Italian frame builder that went to Mexico after a marriage (I think). He produced many frames in Mexico and was a sort of Schwinn of Mexico. His Mexican frames have a have a dubious reputation of developing cracks but I've never seen actual evidence of that. There is also a widely accepted story that he had his high end frames built in Italy - who knows? All I know is that the Benotto 5000 is a great frame with many exceptional frame features for the era. I consider the Benotto 5000's to be very desirable.

Best wishes, Gary.

I don't like showing a bike I don't own anymore but here's on for your reference:

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 09-11-21 at 01:03 AM.
Likes For Gary Fountain:
Old 09-12-21, 11:23 AM
Joeyflowers
Joeyflowers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guessed it bluehills that is a moots titanium seat post. It came with the $40 deal. Unbelievable!! Right?

Thanks Gary for the info. Putting a Campagnolo Super Record group set was exactly what I was thinking. I'm definitely going to keep it for a while and enjoy riding her. I'm looking around for a set now. I found a guy in Atlanta selling a bike that's got a whole C-record group set and hubs, Cenilli bars & stem, and Campy Omega rims for $500. But I'd love to find a Super Record group. I doubt I'll find another $40 treasure but you never know.
Old 09-12-21, 01:30 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
Nice find

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-13-21, 02:11 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyflowers
You guessed it bluehills that is a moots titanium seat post. It came with the $40 deal. Unbelievable!! Right?

Thanks Gary for the info. Putting a Campagnolo Super Record group set was exactly what I was thinking. I'm definitely going to keep it for a while and enjoy riding her. I'm looking around for a set now. I found a guy in Atlanta selling a bike that's got a whole C-record group set and hubs, Cenilli bars & stem, and Campy Omega rims for $500. But I'd love to find a Super Record group. I doubt I'll find another $40 treasure but you never know.
A C-Record gruppo with Cinelli would be nice for that price but the older Super Record is a great aim to have. I once found a 1954 Bianchi that I bought for $80 and I had to force the previous owner to take that amount for the bike. It was unrecognisable as a Bianchi though. I think your $40 Benotto 'trumps' my bargain find. Best of luck.
Old 10-13-21, 04:11 PM
Century Bob

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Hi guys, first post here. I`ve been lurking but came out of hiding as this bike is what got me started on vintage. I`m in the under 10 post club so I don't know how to get a pic posted. I just got my 5000 Turbo this summer.Took me 2 months to find someone to bring it from Monterey Mexico to the states for shipping. Its very clean early production original /pearl white/ Campag SR. I was told that ones with an "I" stamped in the bottom bracket were Italian built. DeRosa classics on Instagram claims the 3000 and 5000 were built by DeRosa. What a score you got! From a value standpoint Campy seems the only option.

Last edited by Century Bob; 10-13-21 at 04:28 PM.