Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Road ID app alternatives

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Road ID app alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-21, 03:13 PM
ted_major

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Road ID app alternatives

I'm not sure this is the right forum, but my question is at least tangentially related to electronics, as you can't run software without hardware, so here goes...

I've been using the Road ID app for a couple of years now so that my wife can see where I am when I'm out riding . The free app has been just fine for me, but they're about to switch to a new app that costs $3/month, so I'd like to consider my options.

Please note that I'm not averse to paying for apps. They have to make money to stick around, and if I'm not paying, someone else is who probably doesn't have my best interests at heart. However, if I'm going to pay, I'd like to get the bestoption.

My use case is I ride on country roads, for a couple of hours a couple of times a month in the winter, and for several hours a few times a week in the summer. Except for a couple of organized rides a year, I ride solo, usually early in the morning. She feels better knowing she can find me if she needs to, and I feel better knowing someone can find me if I'm lying unconscious on the side of the road.

So what's out there? Is there a better app to allow my wife to check my location, or should I just pony up for the Road ID subscription?
Old 11-02-21, 04:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Android phone? Google maps has a location feature that one can share their location with other contacts. Your contacts only have to have a browser and the link. But if they too have the google map app it's easier. It's not always the most accurate or up to the minute at showing your location perfectly. But it works and it's free. Pretty much only shows your position and your phones battery charge. I guess that's so others you share your location with can call you and tell you to put it on the charger. <grin>

Most of the Garmin Edges have a live tracking feature that that shows much more useful information about your ride to those you share it with. You have to have a smartphone and garmin's phone app. It burp's occasionally but for the most part it works.

If you buy a S-works helmet with Angi, you can also use Specialized's Ride App with your phone to share your location and also give notices to selected contacts if you have a crash. The location tracking isn't as good as Garmin's, but it's better IMO than Google maps.
Old 11-02-21, 04:31 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
There are kid tracking apps, I think some are free. I have not used any so I can't recommend one. Let us know if you find a free one that works well.
Old 11-02-21, 05:02 PM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Android phone? Google maps has a location feature that one can share their location with other contacts.
Oops. Should have specified: iPhone.
Old 11-02-21, 05:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Actually GoogleMaps has an iPhone version of the app. My sisters also have iPhones and I share my location with them through it when I'm traveling to visit them. Then they know better when I'm going to arrive. They also can share their location with me from their iPhone using the googlemaps App. By default it only shares location for an hour or maybe 2 hours. But that can be changed to longer periods, days, months or even until you specifically stop sharing location with them.
Old 11-02-21, 07:41 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I run a Garmin Edge with Live Tracking function, but my wife usually stalks me with the Life360 app, which has free live 24 hour tracking. The newer Garmin have incident detection (it sends a text to a preset list of contacts), which works rather quickly, as I can attest from a minor spill on an ice patch last year. I was more irritated that it took some effort to cancel the alert. All of the Garmin features require the connect app to be running on your phone. Also, you can share your location from within iOS, so messages app can see location. Not sure of the setting for that latter, however. In my case, lots of redundant options gives my wife confidence she can collect the life insurance payout from my corpse.
Old 11-02-21, 08:50 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
On iPhone go to the ‘Find my’ app and under ‘Me’ choose share location and then under ‘people’ send a share notice to your wife.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 11-03-21, 06:21 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by ted_major
Oops. Should have specified: iPhone.
Well that's easy peasy then. Use the FindMy function to share your location with your wife.

See here for more info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210514
Old 11-03-21, 09:37 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Yeah, Find My is the canonical answer for iPhone users. My wife checks in on me when I'm on long rides this way.

There are other apps that can do some version of this as well.

- Ride with GPS can share your location live.
- Cyclemeter can e-mail or text periodic status updates, but doesn't have live tracking AFAIK.
- Strava has "beacon" for sharing your location live.
Old 11-13-21, 01:20 AM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
Another option is Specialized's Angi crash sensor:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/angi

This can be attached to most helmets - I put them on road and MTB POC helmets. The associated app is free to use (given that one bought the sensor). I think it provides real-time tracking, and for sure it provides location if it detects a crash, as long as one's cell phone has a signal.
Old 11-13-21, 01:24 AM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
And here is an alternative to Road ID:

https://www.crashtag.me/

I don’t know the terms for using their app; nor its functionality, beyond that one can store various types of personal info.
Old 11-16-21, 02:17 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
WhatsApp also has a share location feature so others can see you on a map. Hit the paper-clip option in a chat and select "location".
Likes For bluehills3149:
Old 11-25-21, 10:35 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
I just use an APRS beacon and wife goes to APRS.FI and enters my call sign…