Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Motivation

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Motivation

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-23, 10:50 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Motivation

Man I need some motivation to ride.

I really can only commute on two days a week because of my work schedule Plus these two days are not back to back so I am switching bags around which is a pain.

I bought a new to me car in august but I am not motivated to ride knowing that I would be riding home to/ from in the dark and cold.

any one have advice or motivational thoughts.

Share the road
Old 12-03-23, 02:38 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
I hear you about motivation, especially in the winter, when it was dark going to work and near sunset going home, and I had a bus pass (10-minute bus ride vs. 45-minute bike ride). I'm very lucky to live in a beautiful area, so even though it was dark when I started, I got to see Humboldt Bay waking up as the sky lightened, and some gorgeous sunsets on the way home. I also felt great when I got to work, with my blood pumping and everything oxygenated. I was the first in the building, so I had a blissful half hour to eat my breakfast (I had a tiny slow cooker at work and made overnight steel cut oats with dried fruit and nuts) and drink my tea.

Would it be easier if you did it more than twice a week? If the job's only two days, you could still get up early and go for a ride on some of the other days. We are creatures of routine after all. Try to remember how you feel after the ride.
Old 12-03-23, 06:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I'm in a similar position. Since the school year started in September, I've ridden to work only two or three times.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-03-23, 11:11 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
In really cold winters it does become difficult to motivate yourself to ride your bicycle to work when you could be alternatively using a heated car.
About 25 years ago, I decided to force myself to bicycle by stopping to buy yearly car parking permit. Back when I stopped buying the permit, the yearly cost was about $900. Now it is about $1,400 per year.
On some exceptionally cold days, I just pay the daily fee ($10) when I must use a car. Savings to be used for buying bicycles or parts has proven fairly good motivation.
If your work place provides a free parking, this story is quite useless for you. 😉
Old 12-04-23, 07:26 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Thanks Korina i needed to be reminded of the beauty of riding to work. I rode a shorter route today. 16 miles. It was not bad once I got on the bike and started riding. I knew this but I debated resetting the alarm.

BUT I didn’t I rode this morning yes!

Alan K work does not pay for parking I either feed a 10 hour meter $.75 or park in “state own property” with a bunch of other people. Basically a gravel lot. But good story. I can’t cut something like that and save a bunch of money.

I used to ride everyday. But have to take son to school now and work from home 2 days a week.

i did try to get up and ride when I did not have to take him to school and it was warmer and brighter. 😄
Old 12-06-23, 11:54 AM
Bluejohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I love my daily rides to work, whatever the weather throws at me but it wasn't always that way.

I used to ride each day as if it were a full on training day and I was pushing hard and beating myself mentally if I felt I slowed or took it too easy. Then, I had a bit of an epiphany after getting a herniated disc which forced me to slow down and not push. Since then, I learned to enjoy each ride, take it as it comes - push some days, back off on others, appreciate the sights and sounds and just have fun. It also helps if you can dress well for the conditions.
Old 12-06-23, 02:34 PM
DaveBikesHarder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What motivates everyone is different but I face a similar issue with the cold especially. I've emailed a few cycling friends and tried to get a little miles competition going as its darker. When I look at the grey rainy morning all I'm thinking is "Chris is out there, now I gotta be"
Old 12-06-23, 02:59 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
Man I need some motivation to ride.

I really can only commute on two days a week because of my work schedule Plus these two days are not back to back so I am switching bags around which is a pain.

I bought a new to me car in august but I am not motivated to ride knowing that I would be riding home to/ from in the dark and cold.

any one have advice or motivational thoughts.

Share the road
When my commute was about 12 km (all flat), knowing the traffic jams and the time it takes to find a free parking lot gave me all the motivation I needed.

For my current, ~ 3 km commute, I just enjoy it regardless of the weather and need no motivation whatsoever.

If my commute were 20+ km, or had some steep inclines, I'm not sure if I'd bother riding a bike every day (or even every second day for that matter).

Now, if this helps and gives you any ideas (not guaranteeing they are good - LOL ):
- Cycling lets me sort of meditate and I get good ideas and problem solutions when cycling to work early in the morning.
- It is a sort of an exercise (can't replace other stuff, but it does help).
- I can listen to lectures/podcasts while commuting at the same time.

Dynamo hub and LED lights help when it's dark (no worries about batteries, just ride).

Relja
Old 12-06-23, 08:02 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

I guess I should also say that my commute is 10-11 miles one way. It takes some time to get to and from home.

I drove today because work load is heavy and was hoping to get into work early. I did it was honestly nice to drive before total darkness and spend time with the family. One day riding is not good though. In my opinion
Old 12-08-23, 09:28 AM
DaveBikesHarder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
I guess I should also say that my commute is 10-11 miles one way. It takes some time to get to and from home.

I drove today because work load is heavy and was hoping to get into work early. I did it was honestly nice to drive before total darkness and spend time with the family. One day riding is not good though. In my opinion
RidingMatthew out of curiosity what do you consider to be good in terms of number of days cycled? Recognize this will be different for everybody.
Old 12-08-23, 01:29 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Well I found a picture from 2016 and I rode 6535 miles (or there abouts) for the year and (somewhere in there) 5135 of them were commuting. but that was a long time ago and different situation. i guess i would like to be motivated and riding at least 2 days a week. when the weather was warmer and sun was up I would try to ride on the days I worked from home.