Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Torque wrench revisited

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Torque wrench revisited

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-21, 10:16 AM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Torque wrench revisited

I'm in the market for a torque wrench and I've read several posts and still undecided. The first thing for me is that using a torque wrench is not an option. I'm not a "pro" and I don't work on my own bikes enough to get at "feel" - meaning my bikes don't break often or need work. I do not use bike shop mechanics any more because of too many bad experiences with them at my expense both with bad repairs and $$$. I took a bike mechanic course years ago and we used a mariposa torque wrench but it is expensive. These are the ones I'm looking at now. One big question I have is how do I trust these are calibrated correctly? I don't have a means to calibrate them myself. What torque wrench (meaning a tool that you hold in your hand) do you use?

Pro Bike Tool
Giustaforza (mariposa)
BBB Cycling

Last edited by BNB; 12-12-21 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-12-21, 10:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Do they have a calibration certificate with them? Some manufacturers have to contractually abide by and ensure that they are using proper torques. These calibration certificates are legal proof of that. Though like fire extinguishers, they have to be checked and re-certified every so often.

For a bicycle though, just tight enough so the part doesn't slip and not so tight that you distort the fastener or part it's holding is sufficient IMO.
Old 12-12-21, 10:31 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB
I'm in the market for a torque wrench and I've read several posts and still undecided. The first thing for me is that using a torque wrench is not an option. I'm not a "pro" and I don't work on my own bikes enough to get at "feel" - meaning my bikes don't break often or need work. I do not use bike shop mechanics any more because of too many bad experiences with them at my expense both with bad repairs and $$$. I took a bike mechanic course years ago and we used a mariposa torque wrench but it is expensive. These are the ones I'm looking at now. One big question I have is how do I trust these are calibrated correctly? I don't have a means to calibrate them myself. What torque wrench (meaning a tool that you hold in your hand) do you use?

Pro Bike Tool
Giustaforza (mariposa)
BBB Cycling
I have a couple of beam-type wrenches (3/8” and 1/4”) for the bike. There’s really nothing to go out of adjustment with these - just ensure that the pointer is zeroed before you start, and don’t abuse them. They’re cheap too. Most big stuff on bikes (like cassettes, cranks and BBs) could use a torque wrench to ensure they’re tight enough, and the small stuff needs a torque wrench to ensure that you’re not over-tightening them. You don’t need expensive click wrenches for these applications. Where torque becomes really important - like installing automotive cylinder heads - I use a good digital wrench.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 12-12-21, 10:34 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I use a beam torque wrench. It cost about $20, and while I'm sure it's not 100% accurate, it's way the hell more accurate than my "feel":

I haven't snapped a part or had one come loose on the road, so I'm fully content with our combined abilities.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 12-12-21 at 11:44 AM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-12-21, 10:41 AM
BNB

I have a beam torque wrench for the bigger stuff. What is the make/brand of the smaller Nm range? I like the idea because of lower cost and don't need calibration, I believe. I don't know if the wrenches on amazon come with certificate of calibration; I will ask if there an "ask a question" link.

OK, found this:
ARES 70213
Old 12-12-21, 10:47 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
A beam torque wrench will reman accurate much longer than the click type.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 12-12-21, 10:49 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I use Performance Tool M206 digital torque adapter. It is extremely versatile. It may require some creativity, though, when used in tight spaces.
Old 12-12-21, 10:50 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB

Pro Bike Tool
Giustaforza (mariposa)
BBB Cycling
There are ways to check your wrench at home, Here is just one.
I don't own a torque wrench, but have used them for decades at work. Calibration is hit and miss at best, same with pressure gages. One place I worked at for two years you had to sign out a calibrated torque wrench and or test gage and turn it back in by end of shift, where it was not signed out again until it was re calibrated.
Old 12-12-21, 11:28 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I have a few torque wrenches I've acquired over the years; 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" (that I used on cars).

As noted above you can calibrate, or at least, test the accuracy of a torque wrench using a weight, or a digital scale. I recently tested all of mine at various torques and recorded the numbers of a card that I keep in the case. All of them were close, but I know if I am torquing to 50 inch lbs if the wrench is 5% under or over. It doesn't matter if it is click or beam, you just have to know how close it is to the readings.

The important thing is knowing the range you will be using. Carbon components are the most critical, but generally a lower torque range.

Here are couple of sites that give you typical bicycle torques...

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...s-and-concepts

https://www.bikeride.com/torque-specifications/

I doubt I would buy a bike specific torque wrench. A good quality 1/4' or 3/8' drive in inch lbs that covers the range is the best bet, a 3/8" is probably a good all around choice. Having one around for occasional non-bike uses is also nice.

I tend to look for a used quality brand on eBay, that looks like it has had little use, than a new cheap Harbor Freight, or Amazon. You just have to test it to know what the numbers are really giving you.

John
Old 12-12-21, 11:33 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
I use this inexpensive Topeak mini torque wrench: Amazon.com : Topeak Nano TorqBar 6 with 5 Tool bits, 6nm : Sports & Outdoors. (There are also 5 nm and 4 nm models, or you can buy the set of all three.)

I use it for the bolts for my seat post clamp, my saddle clamp, my stem, and my STI levers. All but the stem are in tight spaces, but can be reached with this mini torque wrench.

I cannot tell how accurate it is; I just assume it is more accurate than tightening by feel.
Old 12-12-21, 11:39 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
A bike torque wrench doesn't need extreme accuracy. I'm just trying to avoid too much torque, and to see how I compare to the recommended torque for the component. I often use less than the recommendation for stem bolts, for instance. Torque wrenches are great for getting pairs of bolts consistent, and for learning that "feel" without breaking things.

After having a large and small torque wrench for quite a few years, I don't use them on everything now. I now have a good feel for stem bolts and seatpost bolts. A "Y" wrench tightened with two fingers gives me a decent feel for these.
I use a torque wrench every time with the pair of crankarm bolts on the non-drive crank.

I have the well-designed Abbey Tools cassette tool, expensive but beautifully made. It's handle is a good length for tightening cassettes to a reasonable torque with a moderate arm pull. (I tried a reasonable pull with the Abbey, then used the torque wrench with my old cassette tool to check the torque value.) I don't think the cassette torque is extremely critical, it just has to be enough that it doesn't loosen, and I don't want to strip the threads by overtightening.

~~~~
A couple of years ago, I bought a very cheap Harbor Freight clicking torque wrench, thinking it might be easier than the 1/4 inch Park Tool beam wrench. The two matched up extremely well within their ranges, so I think both are more than accurate enough.

Last edited by rm -rf; 12-12-21 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-12-21, 11:47 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 1,046 Posts
I used a Beam Torque wrench for many many years and have now gone to a Harbor Freight ChiCom 20 USD Click Torque Wrench. It's great. Of note... I have had to use a torque wrench more often now that I am loosing strength, and with it accuracy, in my hands due to age. A torque wrench is a good idea, especially for someone who does not do allot of regular wrenching...
Old 12-12-21, 11:54 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Park Tool beam torque wrench
It's easy to see if my beam wrench is off adjustment--does it go to zero with no load? yes, it does.
It can be hard to see the scale at times, if it's facing away or down low. But I really like to be able to see how the torque is increasing and how close to my target I'm getting. Unlike a click torque wrench, which is either "on" or "off".

My old 1/4 inch wrench had a few annoyances. It's scale is in inch-pounds and kg-cm. The conversion is 1 Nm=10.2 kg-cm, close enough to use 50 as 5.0 Nm. Still annoying.
And the 1/4 drive needs an adapter. I have a 1/4 to hex socket, so I can use power screwdriver bits, and an extender for tight spaces.
I quite often want to go a little off the scale, which maxes at 6 Nm.

The newer 3/8 version is way better.
3/8 drive--yes.
Scale from 0 to 14 Nm, much better.

I'd want a 3/8 to hex adapter, and a short 3/8 extension. Perhaps a set of 3/8 hex drivers from Harbor Freight to avoid the adapter. No loose driver bits this way.
Old 12-12-21, 09:01 PM
BNB

Thanks for the info and interesting reads. Nice review of physics 101 regarding method to calibrate your wrench.
Old 12-13-21, 08:05 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
The lead mechanic at my LBS uses one of these, so I bought one. So far, so good.

I also have an older Park beam-type torque wrench, which is foolproof but a bit more cumbersome in practice.
Old 12-13-21, 09:43 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The lead mechanic at my LBS uses one of these, so I bought one. So far, so good.

I also have an older Park beam-type torque wrench, which is foolproof but a bit more cumbersome in practice.
If I had known about this torque wrench, I would have considered the 3T ARX II stem with only a single T30 bolt for the steerer tube.
Old 12-13-21, 10:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
If I had known about this torque wrench, I would have considered the 3T ARX II stem with only a single T30 bolt for the steerer tube.
I had to google that stem. I don't understand why a specific torque wrench would matter (a T30 bit is not rare), and I also don't understand why anyone would buy that stem.