Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My "New" Ciocc

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My "New" Ciocc

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-09, 01:45 PM
moose8

Bikes: Surly 1X1 Rat Ride (Anniversary Edition), Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30, Ciocc, Ted Wojcik Mtb, Surly Steamroller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My "New" Ciocc

I posted on this bike awhile ago, then never heard from the seller. Anyway, after about a month the guy contacted me and said his computer had broken, but it was now fixed and wanted to know if I was still interested. He said it was a size 61, but that was his own measurement, and he didn't really seem to know what he was talking about, so I chanced it and this morning drove 1.5 hours each way to check the bike out. Turns out it fits me perfectly (a 61 would be way too big) and was in better shape than I thought from the pictures the guy sent me. Rust is pretty minimal and should be relatively easy to get off I hope. So I ended up buying it for $300, including a bike repair stand (which I had always been too cheap to buy) and one of those instant tire inflator pumps. The bike has got some scratches, some of which are pretty big, but nothing structural. It consists of Campagnolo Atlanta 1996 rims, Campagnolo Veloce front derailleur, Mirage rear derailleur and Mirage brifters and cranks. Pedals are Time "Sprint." Brakes are Campy Mirage. It looks like it wasn't ridden much in the last 5 years at least, but everything shifted really well when I took it for a quick spin.

I still can't figure out what model Ciocc it is - it looks like some DR03 bikes that I've seen, but it has full chrome on the rear triangle, and the DR03's I've seen have chrome only on the bottom part. Anybody have any ideas? It has the dedecciai zero tre tubing, which has this kind of neat pattern in it.

Also, any suggestions for getting rid of rust on chrome and aluminum?

Finally, confirmation that I'm not totally stupid for buying a scratched up bike with some rust for $300? I always wanted a lugged bike, and it seemed as good a deal for what seems like a pretty fast bike as I would find. They guy started asking $650, but I waited a month and a half or so, and he finally agreed to let it go for $300.

I'm going to attempt to really clean it up, and when I do I will post some pics here. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ciocc.jpg (97.5 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by moose8; 12-12-09 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-12-09, 01:52 PM
junkfoodjunkie
@$#!?&!!$

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. Looks like a nice ride.

Jake
Old 12-12-09, 02:39 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You did really well as it's worth closer to the original price. Devine intervention, luck... ?? Anyway, due to the fact that it fits, despite its having been listed incorrectly or perhaps meas. dif. than you or he did, makes it all that much sweeter. AND a repair stand ?? PLEASE.. a steal for a lesser bike.
Deda Zero tubing's quite good. It was widely used in the mid '90s and still is, it's versatile, can be tig'd , fillet brazed or lugged which applies to yours. Deda zero uno comes in a few variations. Being versatile, it was/is used in bike frames ranging from seven to fifteen hundred depending on frame construction and formula of tubing. Dedacciai tubing appeared in bikes around the same time Col. seems to have left the scene for a not so short spell. I know this happened post 1995. Bikes that had been SLX or even Neuron, Genius etc. got built with Deda at that time. Tommassini and many others also. Custom builders still use alot of it. All this to dispell suspicions of inferiority.
Pinarello used it excusivesly for a couple few years in steel bikes. Others here may have your bike.
Aside from telling you to "Google it"; I can vouch for both Naval Jelly for metal and Aluminum Jelly for Al. Marine places and some others have bronze or other wool, not steel wool if you're so inclined or concerned. Plastic Scrubbies can be tried firt too, if you're scared. Detractors of Naval Jelly impose all sorts of do's & don'ts, funny, I was unaware of such for forty years 'till recently. I don't leave Jellys applied for ages either.
Old 12-13-09, 06:16 PM
moose8

Bikes: Surly 1X1 Rat Ride (Anniversary Edition), Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30, Ciocc, Ted Wojcik Mtb, Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any body know how to identify campagnolo hubs? I'm curious what mine are - they just have a campagnolo stamp/shield on them, but no other identifying marks that I can see. Also, how do you tell if the hubs need anything other than a cosmetic clean up? They seem to spin fine, but they are extremely dirty, but the grime is coming off without too much effort.
Old 12-13-09, 06:23 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
I remember your other thread and let me just say "WOW". At $300, that is an incredible deal. My size too
Old 12-13-09, 07:37 PM
moose8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's my third bike, so I made a promise to myself I wouldn't spend too much on it. In the end it was worth the 3 hour round trip. It definitely needs some work though. I discovered a bunch of rust on the top inside of the fork - again, nothing structural, but so far I haven't had much luck getting rid of it - I looked at naval jelly, but it specifically said don't use on chrome so I didn't. I've tried a few different things that are chrome polisher and rust remover (turtle wax chrome polisher and never dull, as well as some stainless steel polish) but it doesn't seem to be working too well - it makes the non-rusty parts, super shiny though. It only gets rid of the really minor rust. I want to get this thing super fixed up without spending much on any replacement parts (which will hopefully just be the cables and a couple of really rusty screws on the brakes.
Old 12-14-09, 12:42 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
oxalic acid (available as crystals in a plastic tub, sold as "Wood Bleach" in hardware/paint shops), dissolve in warm water and soak rusty parts until rust is gone, rinse with clean water, dry thoroughly and then WAX.
nice bike
Old 12-14-09, 01:37 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
+1 on the oxalic acid. I found a Colnago that is in bad shape paint wise with some rust. I too thought that I paid too much, more than you did! It is worth it to me just cause it's Colnago and Italian. The Oxalic Acid worked great! Go for it by cleaning it up and then deciding what you want to do. I am in the same boat except, I was waiting to recover from the accident and then the weather just turned too cold.