Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Seeking out first bike advice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-21, 03:19 PM
welltraveledroa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all. Just some background: I am 21 years old, 185lbs, 6’2”, and run or lift weights 6 times a week. I was told by a bike shop my size is 58-60cm. I am interested in doing a triathlon at some point.

I am currently deciding between two bikes: a 2013 Supersix 6 Tiagra or a 2013 Synapse (Alloy) 5 105.

I tried posting links to the specs but its not letting me. From what I have read, it seems like the major differences are the endurance fit of the synapse vs the racing fit of the supersix, the higher quality 105 components vs the lower quality tiagra components, and the lighter carbon frame vs heavier aluminum frame.

I just want to make sure I don’t feel like I need another bike after a year or two of experience. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to learning all there is to know about this sport.
Old 03-22-21, 03:22 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Most of us end up with more than One Bike. I had Five.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 03-22-21, 03:49 PM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Go with the nicer/lighter/racier carbon frame if it fits you well. You can upgrade components later piecemeal if you want.
Old 03-22-21, 04:21 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I'd go with the Synapse if you're getting into biking. It'll have the nicer drivetrain, and you're right about the race fit vs endurance. I'd choose endurance first to get used to the position. Then you can work towards a more aggressive fit. If you enjoy it and get serious you'll end up buying either an actual TT bike or a more modern race bike.

You can get the Synapse to fit as aggressively as the super six, but not vice versa without it looking goofy or compromising ride quality.

What's the prices?
Old 03-22-21, 04:31 PM
welltraveledroa

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I'd go with the Synapse if you're getting into biking. It'll have the nicer drivetrain, and you're right about the race fit vs endurance. I'd choose endurance first to get used to the position. Then you can work towards a more aggressive fit. If you enjoy it and get serious you'll end up buying either an actual TT bike or a more modern race bike.

You can get the Synapse to fit as aggressively as the super six, but not vice versa without it looking goofy or compromising ride quality.

What's the prices?
Thanks for the advice. Its good to know that I would be able to make the endurance fit more aggressive but not the other way around. How significant is the difference in drivetrains between the two bikes? If it is very significant, would it make sense to go for the carbon frame now and upgrade the components later on? The supersix is $900 + 10 hours of driving and the synapse is $750 + 7 hours of driving.
Old 04-07-21, 10:18 AM
okoweq

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain

What's the prices?
Totally agree with this. The endurance geometry won't prevent you from going fast as you build your cycling fitness, but it will prevent you from having back and neck pain like you'd get if you start on a race bike. The Synapse is a great option, 105 is solid componentry, you won't need anything else for a long time. If you get really serious about triathlons, you'll know by then what bike you'll want for that.
Old 04-07-21, 10:50 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Go for a test ride and choose whichever bike fits you best and whichever bike you like.
Old 04-07-21, 10:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
I don't have much to add..... well I really do..... but I'm not going to.

But...
I was told by a bike shop my size is 58-60cm
What will you do when you look at a manufacturer that specs their bikes by XS, S, M, ML, L and XL or other?

And do you know if they were referring to seat tube length or effective top tube length? Most think the former and that is one of the worst way to size a bike, IMO.

If you have no other thing to go by, then go with the manufacturers suggested sizing for that model bike. Some will actually be different sizes for different bike models of the same brand.

If you can, then simply riding different sizes of the bike for as long as they'll let you helps determine what's best for you in your current state of cycling fitness.
Old 04-07-21, 10:25 PM
Ivabig1
Banned.

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Shop on eBay...you will get more bike for your money....it’s a risk but I’ve always made out like a bandit buying my bikes on ebay