Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Bike Route 9!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-16, 07:56 PM
sydwar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Route 9!

Hi Bikeforum friends!

My cousin and I are planning on taking Bike Route 9 from Poughkeepsie to MTL in about 3 weeks. The plan is to take the train from NY to Poughkeepsie and then hop on our bikes and go, we figure it will take about 4 days.

I mapped it out on google since the nydot website seems....defunct and it doesn't look too bad in terms of climbs but I was wondering if anyone had any heads ups/suggestions/tips/insight/hard copy of the map/actual understanding of the route that they could share

Also, any tips of places to stay the night along the way would be super helpful!

Thanks
Old 07-28-16, 06:14 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3276 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,193 Posts
MTL = Montreal ?.

Had to think a long time to only assume this.
Old 07-28-16, 07:25 AM
Ferdinand NYC

Bikes: Giant road bike

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, Montreal.

And I can see what the original poster means about the State DOT website. The page that supposedly shows the map of Bike 9 shows only a bare Google map, with no superimposed line for the trail.

So, I hope that someone will ring in with some more information. In the meantime, here is a short thread on the topic that was begun in 2010 and then updated in 2013.
Old 07-28-16, 11:48 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3276 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,193 Posts
Seems OK to me, by using the map tool, then clicking on Bicking and Paved yielded this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
State Bike Route.jpg (97.9 KB, 152 views)
Old 07-28-16, 12:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18467 Post(s)
Liked 15,733 Times in 7,395 Posts
I'd look for a ferry to the VT side that drops you at/close to Burlington (ferry from Port Kent, NY possibly) and head north from there. Really nice riding. Adventure Cycling Association's Green Mountains Loop goes from Burlington through St. Albans Bay to Richford, VT, where you can cross the border without having to climb Jay Peak.
Old 07-31-16, 07:49 AM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Here's a link using Open Street Maps that shows NY Bike Route 9.

https://openstreetmap.org/relation/372471

The NYS website did say anyone could request a printed copy of the route. I'd take them up on that offer. You will definitely need a map for navigation. You may miss a marker or NYSDOT may be as diligent at maintaining them as they are in maintaining their website.

I've long given up recommending one route over another. Route selection is a matter of personal taste. I did lead a NYC to Montreal ride for my club, many years ago. It was a two day weekend trip (600 km in 40 hours). The route roughly followed US 9. I'll be happy to send you a copy, if you email me through the forum.

Climbing wasn't a concern. However, climbing is also a relative term. Consider the riders who stated the ride wasn't hilly. The main problem you are likely to encounter is wind. This is true of any ride that's basically in a single direction.
Old 07-31-16, 07:47 PM
sydwar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I'd look for a ferry to the VT side that drops you at/close to Burlington (ferry from Port Kent, NY possibly) and head north from there. Really nice riding. Adventure Cycling Association's Green Mountains Loop goes from Burlington through St. Albans Bay to Richford, VT, where you can cross the border without having to climb Jay Peak.
Thanks for the tip! We would like to go through Burlington (possibly crash there for the night) so its good to know that there are paths on that side too!
Old 07-31-16, 07:49 PM
sydwar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC
Here's a link using Open Street Maps that shows NY Bike Route 9.

https://openstreetmap.org/relation/372471

The NYS website did say anyone could request a printed copy of the route. I'd take them up on that offer. You will definitely need a map for navigation. You may miss a marker or NYSDOT may be as diligent at maintaining them as they are in maintaining their website.

I've long given up recommending one route over another. Route selection is a matter of personal taste. I did lead a NYC to Montreal ride for my club, many years ago. It was a two day weekend trip (600 km in 40 hours). The route roughly followed US 9. I'll be happy to send you a copy, if you email me through the forum.

Climbing wasn't a concern. However, climbing is also a relative term. Consider the riders who stated the ride wasn't hilly. The main problem you are likely to encounter is wind. This is true of any ride that's basically in a single direction.
Thanks so much! I tried to get a printed copy but all the links seem to reroute endlessly to themselves . I will see this week if there is a number I can call. I would looove a copy of your map! Will email
Old 08-01-16, 04:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18467 Post(s)
Liked 15,733 Times in 7,395 Posts
Originally Posted by sydwar
Thanks for the tip! We would like to go through Burlington (possibly crash there for the night) so its good to know that there are paths on that side too!
Are you planning to camp? If so, Burlington has a nice city campground. I would definitely make a reservation wherever you plan to stay. When I was there in mid-August of 2010 the town was very crowded. With the economy doing better and gas prices lower, I think there are more people out and about this summer. I was touring in MT back in June in some of the same areas where I toured in 2011 and 2014. Far more people on the road this year.
Old 08-26-16, 12:55 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Old thread so this might be too late......

Only head towards Richford and Jay Peak if you want to add lots of miles, its way east of where you're headed. Montreal is more north of NY than Vermont. If you'd like to ride the Vermont side, a good place to cross is the Crown Point Bridge, just south of Port Henry NY on the map. Flatter on the Vermont side and a very pretty ride along the lake. It'll put you on the Champlain Bikepath, which is really not a path but a series of marked back roads. You can take that up to Burlington, north through the Champlain Islands into the far northeast corner of NY (Rouses Point). I've never ridden it but there's a bikepath on the Canadian side of the border there, I don't think it goes all the way to Montreal, but maybe. There's an organization called Velo North that does lots of rides and events in the Montreal area, go on their website and poke around for info.
Old 09-02-16, 01:26 PM
Pistard

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check the Adirondack Ultra cycling website, that might help, they do it in one day ( from Schuylervile NY ), hang in Montreal 1 day, back one day...
Old 09-02-16, 02:02 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
I second what Champlaincycler said about riding the Vermont side of the lake. In my case I veered to the right (when northbound) in Whitehall NY and crossed into VT a short distance north of town. Very nice low traffic roads along the lake. Some dirt roads but I like that; YMMV. Google up the Lake Champlain Bicycle Route for details. I've never ridden the NY side so can't comment on that. I camped at Button Bay State Park in VT, the cleanest state park I've ever seen anywhere.