Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddle recommendations

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Saddle recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 10:32 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Saddle recommendations

Hello.

I'm usually in the C&V section with the other curmudgeons but a 2011 BMC RM01 and Dura Ace groupset found it's way into my life. I'm enjoying the bike very much these days except the saddle, a Fizik Arione r7 at 132mm. It is rather narrow and uuncomfortable.
I'm looking for recommendations for a new saddle.

I've tried and disliked the following:
Fizik Arione r7
Charge Spoon
Flite Titanium
Kore retrobu
A number of the cheap Vader eBay saddles I've put on flipped rehabs

These were passable:
Brooks Professional, imperial version with cutout doesn't seem to make a difference.
Avocet red label touring

I am comfortable on:
Brooks B17

While th B17 is comfortable it also seems to be the widest so I am thinking I should err on the wider side. That being said, the B17 looks great on my 1970s road bikes but not so much on a modern carbon machine.

Any recommendations? Cheaper the better of course.
Old 07-21-17, 12:43 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Brooks Cambium C17 Carved .... best saddle that I have used for long distance rides:... 100% waterproof and if you register the serial number on the Brooks website, you get a 10 year guarantee

Old 07-21-17, 05:02 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The Fizik Aliante is supposed to be a wider saddle.. Maybe try that?

I currently ride a Selle San Marco Aspide and love it..Comes in both Narrow and wide (I use the wide one) but I'm not sure I want to get one for my new bike.. Just curious and want to try something different. Brooks saddles are an acquired taste, IMHO. So I'm going to check out what people say here, lol
Old 07-21-17, 09:23 AM
rowebr

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi Limited 650B conversion (sold), 1985(?) Guerciotti retro-roadie, 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2012 Specialized Crux, mid 80's Focus MB-400

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
Hello.

I'm usually in the C&V section with the other curmudgeons but a 2011 BMC RM01 and Dura Ace groupset found it's way into my life. I'm enjoying the bike very much these days except the saddle, a Fizik Arione r7 at 132mm. It is rather narrow and uuncomfortable.
I'm looking for recommendations for a new saddle.

I've tried and disliked the following:
Fizik Arione r7
Charge Spoon
Flite Titanium
Kore retrobu
A number of the cheap Vader eBay saddles I've put on flipped rehabs

These were passable:
Brooks Professional, imperial version with cutout doesn't seem to make a difference.
Avocet red label touring

I am comfortable on:
Brooks B17

While th B17 is comfortable it also seems to be the widest so I am thinking I should err on the wider side. That being said, the B17 looks great on my 1970s road bikes but not so much on a modern carbon machine.

Any recommendations? Cheaper the better of course.

Hi narhay, I also usually hang out in C&V. Similarly, I'm very comfortable on a B-17, and I agree it doesn't look right on a more roadie-racy bike.

I tried a bunch of saddles for my Guerciotti retro-roadie and my favorite was the Selle Italia Turbomatic. It is a racing saddle, but its a bit wider and more robust. There is a modern version that retails around $180 I think. I haven't tried that one, but instead I picked up a few decent used vintage models on Ebay.
Old 07-21-17, 11:40 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Specialized Power Saddle. I went through 8 saddles before I found the one. Everyone is different, just make sure that whatever saddle you get that you get it from someone who has a good return policy.
Old 07-21-17, 02:44 PM
Pistard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah like the B 17 has been around since they invented the combustion engine!! is the same my grandfather rode in 1936 back in the Old World, there are better and cheaper alternatives.