Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM Force Group - $700?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SRAM Force Group - $700?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 08:44 AM
bubbaeck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM Force Group - $700?

Sorry, I'm somewhat new here, but somebody offered me to sell me their brand new SRAM force groupset for $700. I'm looking into a new bike recently because this summer I plan on doing the tri-state trek (270 miles Boston to New York) and I've been riding a 50 cm trek 1000 around. The 50 feels way too small, as I'm 5' 7". Since I'm 15 and will probably grow more, I was thinking about just buying a bigger frame for the trek, as I don't have too much to spend. But on second thought with these components, I'm thinking of building a bike around them with a 56 cm nashbar aluminum frame, carbon fork, carbon stem, and mavic open pro wheels. I did a little math, and I could put together this bike for about $1300 including the SRAM force components, and sell the trek for $300. The bike would probably weigh about 18.5 pounds. Is this a good idea, or should I just get something off bikesdirect like the grand sprint?

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...int_carb08.htm.

It seems like a waste to buy components individually, but the $700 force components seem like such a sweet deal! Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 04-21-08, 08:53 AM
Amen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep your bike. Pedal hard.
Old 04-21-08, 09:40 AM
superslomo
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Force is pretty blingy, and that seems like a pretty good deal... not sure what ebay prices you would be looking at, though.

Isn't 50cm all the way up to 56 cm a pretty big jump??
Old 04-21-08, 09:45 AM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need a 53 TT +/-

Good deal on the Force though.
Old 04-21-08, 09:48 AM
hos13

Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbaeck
Sorry, I'm somewhat new here, but somebody offered me to sell me their brand new SRAM force groupset for $700. I'm looking into a new bike recently because this summer I plan on doing the tri-state trek (270 miles Boston to New York) and I've been riding a 50 cm trek 1000 around. The 50 feels way too small, as I'm 5' 7". Since I'm 15 and will probably grow more, I was thinking about just buying a bigger frame for the trek, as I don't have too much to spend. But on second thought with these components, I'm thinking of building a bike around them with a 56 cm nashbar aluminum frame, carbon fork, carbon stem, and mavic open pro wheels. I did a little math, and I could put together this bike for about $1300 including the SRAM force components, and sell the trek for $300. The bike would probably weigh about 18.5 pounds. Is this a good idea, or should I just get something off bikesdirect like the grand sprint?

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...int_carb08.htm.

It seems like a waste to buy components individually, but the $700 force components seem like such a sweet deal! Thanks in advance for all the help.
Before you buy anything find out what size fits you best, go to an LBS and test ride some bikes. Nothing wrong with buying a bike over the internet however it can be a unnecessarily bad experience, if you are guessing on your size and fit.
Old 04-21-08, 09:50 AM
jackcoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Force group on eBay for $920 or so. There were 3 available and they all got gobbled up quick. $700 sound like an even better deal, I'd take it. I think geargurl sells the Rival for about $670 and that is the best price I've seen on that.
Old 04-21-08, 10:29 AM
NeezyDeezy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the risk of offending you, make sure that "groupset" really is a fully set, including crank and all other pieces.
Old 04-21-08, 05:14 PM
bubbaeck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NeezyDeezy
At the risk of offending you, make sure that "groupset" really is a fully set, including crank and all other pieces.
It's a full set, minus the brakes as I found out today. Whatever. Brakes are cheap.
Old 04-21-08, 05:16 PM
bubbaeck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that I'm gonna snag those components tomorrow but maybe spend a little more time picking out a frame and stem and handlebar size.
Old 04-21-08, 05:32 PM
hoodooguru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Force brakes run about 150.00 so that partially explains the pricing here.
Old 04-21-08, 06:11 PM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackcoke
I bought a Force group on eBay for $920 or so. There were 3 available and they all got gobbled up quick. $700 sound like an even better deal, I'd take it. I think geargurl sells the Rival for about $670 and that is the best price I've seen on that.
There is a guy on ebay ibikenaked. Sold the rival for 560 + 30 shipping so 590 and the force for 902 + shipping also 30. He is a good guy and will get you the right crank length and type of FD and clamp size and also the cog sizes. Everthing is new, no surprises. There are similar sellers, I just like his options. Not related to this guy but just someone to look for.

I just put together a Rival bike and in retrospect should have got Rival instead of Force for the second gruppo I got -- maybe beause I am a masher. It is just stiffer, modest looking and your bike does not look too hot and blingy. In the SRAM site, I think except for the weight, the specs are the same 95%. However I do not have a long time experience with the Force just on a couple rides with my friend's bike but it was varied enough for me to notice the difference, If you actually got a light saddle and post and maybe the stem, you would compensate for the weight differences. The price difference can be put towards a wheelset which makes up a lot of the performance.

700 is cheap. Get it... However for a few bucks more, you can get it from these ebay resellers and have different options. Oh make sure the chain is not cut too short. That chain is not cheap.

I am happy to really have switched to SRAM, I have the whole world of Shimano used wheelsets to hunt bargains for. I heard SRAM works with Campy as well.

Yes FD can shift better towards the big ring but I have zero complaints on the small chain shift. The rear just shifts really well and even the Rival is perfect for my smallish hands.

EDIT -- No brake,the calipers cable and housing alone would run you the difference from these ebay resellers. You'll be charged for shipping again too. Scour ebay and do not pay over 930.
Old 04-22-08, 05:16 AM
bubbaeck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems like a sin, but is there any reason that a pair of $30 nashbar calipers wouldn't work? Because they weigh only 63 g more and I don't really have to much more to spend for brakes. Is this a bad idea? I was also wondering, do cables come with the brake levers?
Old 04-22-08, 06:39 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I haven't ridden the nashbar calipers, but I have cheaped out on brakes before -- Tektro, for the record. It's not worth the dollar savings. Cheap brakes tend to flex and that means you don't stop as surely or as quickly. Brakes are too important to go cheap with. When I want to stop, I want to STOP.

Of all the components of a bicycle, brakes might show the most real performance difference between cheapo components and premium.
Old 04-22-08, 07:00 AM
Wesmo15

Bikes: '08 Cannondale System Six,'08 Fuji Outland RC, early 90's Focus RS500, '05 Ironhorse Warrior Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbaeck
It seems like a sin, but is there any reason that a pair of $30 nashbar calipers wouldn't work? Because they weigh only 63 g more and I don't really have to much more to spend for brakes. Is this a bad idea? I was also wondering, do cables come with the brake levers?
I'm believe that Nashbar brakes are manufactured by Tektro, and I've heard mixed feelings on them. Some say they work great after getting KoolStops, others say they suck either way. I've seen 105's on Nashbar for really cheap on occassion, like 35 bucks or so. That being said, I'm sure you could find a set of quality brakes for not much more than the Nashbars (I see some Centaurs on there for 70 bucks right now). I have 105's and have no complaints.
Old 04-22-08, 07:06 AM
michaelmc

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix LTD, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesmo15
I'm believe that Nashbar brakes are manufactured by Tektro, and I've heard mixed feelings on them. Some say they work great after getting KoolStops, others say they suck either way. I've seen 105's on Nashbar for really cheap on occassion, like 35 bucks or so. That being said, I'm sure you could find a set of quality brakes for not much more than the Nashbars (I see some Centaurs on there for 70 bucks right now). I have 105's and have no complaints.
I've got Cane Creeks (arguably manufactured by Tektro). Stock pads sucked. KoolStops work just fine. Maybe I'm missing out on some modicum of modulation that Dura Ace would provide, but I'm perfectly happy riding and racing with the Cane Creeks + KoolStops.
Old 04-22-08, 07:53 AM
bubbaeck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, there are some 105's on ebay for $35. Do 105's work pretty well? I'll be using the SRAM cables.
Old 04-22-08, 12:20 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
105s work great.
Old 04-22-08, 12:52 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll be VERY happy with the 105 calipers.

I have the older (9speed version) of them on my commuter bike and they work every bit as well as my ultegra 10 calipers on my road bike. It would be hard to pass up the opportunity to put together a full bike for 1300 with a Force group.

Which frame are you looking at putting it on?

-Jeremy
Old 04-22-08, 12:56 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the long term, you'll always have the option of moving the components off of your Trek 1000 onto your Nashbar frame and upgrading the frame that's with the Force group. Then you'll have your good weather bike and your fowl weather/backup bike.
Old 04-22-08, 02:06 PM
Kangaroo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackcoke
Price is great alright, but she sure does exercise her option to charge $340.00 to ship to Canada. I just don't get it.
Old 04-22-08, 05:57 PM
LorenzoNF
zone 2

Bikes: BMC Teammachine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tunnelrat81
For the long term, you'll always have the option of moving the components off of your Trek 1000 onto your Nashbar frame and upgrading the frame that's with the Force group. Then you'll have your good weather bike and your fowl weather/backup bike.
So raining chickens and geese?