Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's a good Tire Pressure for a Road Bike for sport riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's a good Tire Pressure for a Road Bike for sport riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-23, 06:22 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Why do I need to find a study?
You don't, of course.
Old 03-24-23, 07:48 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Tubeless tires on wider hookless rims allow for the lowest pressure, which in turn will transmit the least road vibration and produce the best possible ride. They also eliminate nearly all small punctures that would require an on the road tube replacement. My worst and only puncture was a double puncture from a 2 inch long construction staple. I just pulled it out and the leaks sealed immediately. I did add some CO2 to raise the tire pressure, but it's a lot easier than changing a tube. Sealant does need to be replenished every few months. Forget to do that and punctures won't seal.

If you want a harsh ride, like those who still use 23-25mm tires at high pressure, just add more pressure to your tubeless tires. I did that for a few mile test recently. That test verified how awful the ride can be with over pressured tires. I ride mostly chip sealed asphalt, where lower pressure works wonders. With hookless rims, you're advised to limit pressure to 73 psi. With the right tire size, even 250 pound riders can use hookless rims and not exceed 73 psi.

I notice that most of the critics have old rim brake bikes, that may not be able to use a tire wider than a 25. Try a modern disc brake bike bike with wider, lower pressure tires. You'll change your opinion.
Old 03-24-23, 07:50 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
2016 was a long time ago in terms of tyre development and pressure .
Yeah it wasn't until 2023 that we finally figured out the proper tire pressures everything we done pre-2016 is wrong.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-24-23, 08:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
I tried to correct the typo "software" to "softer" four times but each time I press save I am shown a black page with
ParseError: syntax error, unexpected string content "", expecting "-" or identifier or variable or number in ..../editpost.php(205) : eval()'d code on line 9
It’s not you:

https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...ing-posts.html
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-24-23, 08:39 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Yeah it wasn't until 2023 that we finally figured out the proper tire pressures everything we done pre-2016 is wrong.
It's not about right or wrong. It's only recently that tests proved that lower pressures could lower rolling resistance while improving ride quality. Instead of 15-17mm IW rims, we now have 19-25mm and up to 34mm road tires. If you can get a more comfortable ride and without losing speed, why not do it? I've been on 28-30mm tires with pressures in the 50-65 range since late 2020. I'm sold on modern tubeless tires and wider hookless rims. I just sold my first two sets of skinny 19mm hooked tubeless, in favor of 25mm hookless.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 03-24-23, 09:13 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4427 Post(s)
Liked 4,879 Times in 3,020 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
More like around 2019.
Old 03-24-23, 09:25 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by timtak
Would it be okay to say then that we are both being subjective? I am fine with that (rather than my being a 1970's magazine reader, or speaking complete shyte)

I wonder why our experience is different.

You mention that tubeless are strong against flats. I presume that this is because (instead of a tube) they contain sealant. An inner tube can easily weight 100g so that allows for quite a lot of sealant. But I tried tubular tires for a while and filled them with a variety of off the shelf and home made (e.g. latex and glitter) but it did not work out too well. Sometimes it worked but sometimes it did not whereas a patch and a spare tube has almost always worked.

There is a good chance that I am very wrong but I generally feel that cycling "development," of hardware such as frames, and software such pedalling styles and positions is somewhat over-rated.

I am guessing that the additional money available to cycling now as oppose to 1970 has more effected
1) The number of cyclists (there are more now, so the pros now are the best of a bigger pool of athletes)
2) The size and strength of cyclists (the pay to cyclists compares well with any other sport so tall strong athletic people from all over the world are doing it)
3) The teamwork of cyclists. Bigger teams with bigger funding means that it is not a case of mano a mano but one conglomerate against another.

It seems to me that the aerodynamic benefits of team cycling make teams vastly faster than individuals.

And it is the increase in teamwork, due to funding, thus larger teams, that are more coordinated due to radios and information relaying support staff, including analysis of breakaways and the peloton's ability to bring them back in, as well as expensive performance enhancing drugs resulting a more level (superhuman) playing field, that has resulted in the faster cycling times that we are now seeing rather than development that might matter to an individual amateur cyclist.

I am wondering about tubeless tires. I can imagine how they are beneficial for cyclists with team cars carrying spare wheels, who are never going to repair a flat nor change a tube, even if they are riding clinchers.
Our experience is not necessarily different. When I was running 100 psi with tubed narrow tyres I suffered plenty of flats. Maybe I just wasn't running them hard enough? I'll never know.

Moving to road tubeless was a major step forward for me. I'd been running tubeless mtb tyres for many years, so that made the transition quite easy. Now I just don't get flats at all. Obviously sealant helps, but I don't get many actual punctures either while running much lower pressures. The ability to quickly plug holes from the outside is another major advantage of tubeless - something I also learnt from mountain biking. Removing a wheel to replace a tube is something I've never had to do since going tubeless.

I think tubeless tyres are actually more of a pita for pro race teams as they have to fit and remove tyres way more often on their fleet of wheels and the sealant must make that a pretty messy job. So I'm sure the mechs hate it! Changing tyres for me at home maybe once a season is no big deal. I just use water soluble sealant, which is fairly easy to clean off the rim.
Old 03-24-23, 09:42 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,102 Times in 3,834 Posts
Our experience is not necessarily different. When I was running 100 psi with tubed narrow tyres I suffered plenty of flats. Maybe I just wasn't running them hard enough? I'll never know.

Moving to road tubeless was a major step forward for me. I'd been running tubeless mtb tyres for many years, so that made the transition quite easy. Now I just don't get flats at all. Obviously sealant helps, but I don't get many actual punctures either while running much lower pressures. The ability to quickly plug holes from the outside is another major advantage of tubeless - something I also learnt from mountain biking. Removing a wheel to replace a tube is something I've never had to do since going tubeless.

I think tubeless tyres are actually more of a pita for pro race teams as they have to fit and remove tyres way more often on their fleet of wheels and the sealant must make that a pretty messy job. So I'm sure the mechs hate it! Changing tyres for me at home maybe once a season is no big deal. I just use water soluble sealant, which is fairly easy to clean off the rim.
I've had 3 flats with tubeless road tires. All of them were sidewall damage. The first 2 were just too big for the sealant. The last one probably would have sealed if I hadn't let the sealant dry out. My only MTB flat was burping a tire on a hard impact. That one might have been partially to blame on running "ghetto" tubeless on 26" non-tubeless rims.

With tubes, if you get a shard of glass lodged in the casing of the tire, you might not find it the first time, and you end up with a second flat (and maybe stranded). I had this happen multiple times over the years. This is pretty much a non-factor with tubeless. You could have shards of glass inside the tire, and they would just get stuck in the sealant and be harmless.

I agree that pro team setup and maintenance is probably a pain, but if it's minimizing flats during races, they're better off.
Old 03-24-23, 10:49 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
It's not about right or wrong. It's only recently that tests proved that lower pressures could lower rolling resistance while improving ride quality. Instead of 15-17mm IW rims, we now have 19-25mm and up to 34mm road tires. If you can get a more comfortable ride and without losing speed, why not do it? I've been on 28-30mm tires with pressures in the 50-65 range since late 2020. I'm sold on modern tubeless tires and wider hookless rims. I just sold my first two sets of skinny 19mm hooked tubeless, in favor of 25mm hookless.
I have one bike on 19C rims and have run 28-32C tyres on those with no real issues except maybe the less than ideal mushroom profile on 32C. My other bike has 22C rims and 30C tyres and that is my best combination. I can run lower pressure on those without the tyre squirming. Nothing would convince me to ever go back to narrower tyres/rims at 100 psi. I'm faster than ever now too, so I don't worry about rolling resistance. If these tyres are fast enough to win Paris Roubaix and epic Grand Tour stages then they are good enough for me. They certainly improve ride quality for sure.
Old 03-24-23, 11:05 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4740 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I think the point is there won't be a study that includes 38mm tires at 60psi because it's beyond the range of what would be considered rational. When designing a comparison it doesn't make sense to include options that wouldn't be chosen. You won't see 23mm tires tested at 40psi either.
fwiw, if you have a 'pro membership' at BRR, they test gravel tires (eg. 38mm) at 54psi and you can see those results. Silca's calculator can return a 58psi value for a 38mm tire if you weigh enough and ride good tires on great roads.
Old 03-24-23, 11:23 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Problem is I head over to C&V and it becomes like arguing with a drunk. It’s a Luddite religion for a few of them and like a moth to a flame I can’t help myself.
I keep well away from C&V
Old 03-24-23, 11:25 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
fwiw, if you have a 'pro membership' at BRR, they test gravel tires (eg. 38mm) at 54psi and you can see those results. Silca's calculator can return a 58psi value for a 38mm tire if you weigh enough and ride good tires on great roads.
Sure, where "weigh enough" means 350 lbs. for rider plus bike. A little extrapolation indicates roughly 410 lbs. will get you to 60 psi.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-24-23, 02:28 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4740 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Sure, where "weigh enough" means 350 lbs. for rider plus bike. A little extrapolation indicates roughly 410 lbs. will get you to 60 psi.
Yeah.. a bit of elaboration on what weigh enough means :-) If it helps, Rene Herse lets you use 60psi at 255lbs.

That said, maybe there are instances where for loading touring this makes perfect sense and is not completely irrational. There aren't a lot of them, but there are some faster touring options out there, such as the Conti Grand Prix Urban or this one, but doesn't seem to be available any longer. BRR also mentions in the "Urban" review that 75psi on a 35mm tire is equivalent comfort to 100psi on a 25mm tire. 60psi on a 38mm -- doesn't seem that farfetched looked at from that perspective.

Came across this blurb here on a 37mm tire and it's referencing 90psi equivalents..
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...ger-hyper-2016

"The Vittoria Voyager Hyper is pretty much a big road bike tire disguised as a touring bike tire. Rolling resistance at an air pressure of 90 psi is comparable to all-round road bike tires pumped up to 120 psi."
Old 03-24-23, 02:38 PM
tomato coupe

Yeah.. a bit of elaboration on what weigh enough means :-) If it helps, Rene Herse lets you use 60psi at 255lbs.

That said, maybe there are instances where for loading touring this makes perfect sense and is not completely irrational. There aren't a lot of them, but there are some faster touring options out there, such as the Conti Grand Prix Urban or this one, but doesn't seem to be available any longer. BRR also mentions in the "Urban" review that 75psi on a 35mm tire is equivalent comfort to 100psi on a 25mm tire. 60psi on a 38mm -- doesn't seem that farfetched looked at from that perspective.
Yes, it's possible to come up with a scenario where someone might want run a 38 mm tire at 60 psi. But, the low likelihood of that scenario occurring probably means it's not worthwhile for a testing group to test that tire / pressure combo.
Old 03-24-23, 02:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,102 Times in 3,834 Posts
Yes, it's possible to come up with a scenario where someone might want run a 38 mm tire at 60 psi. But, the low likelihood of that scenario occurring probably means it's not worthwhile for a testing group to test that tire / pressure combo.
I recall someone in this thread already mentioning that they do that.

The first time I rode my gravel bike, I put 60psi in the tires (38mm). I quickly figured out that I don't want that much for that bike.
Old 03-24-23, 07:53 PM
PeteHski

Came across this blurb here on a 37mm tire and it's referencing 90psi equivalents..
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...ger-hyper-2016

"The Vittoria Voyager Hyper is pretty much a big road bike tire disguised as a touring bike tire. Rolling resistance at an air pressure of 90 psi is comparable to all-round road bike tires pumped up to 120 psi."
The point was that nobody is interested in comparing rolling resistance of a 23 mm tyre at 140 psi with a 38 mm tyre at 60 psi. Except for smd4 in some vain effort to demonstrate that his tyres are faster than modern race tyres (which are not 38 mm).
Old 03-24-23, 08:10 PM
smd4

The point was that nobody is interested in comparing rolling resistance of a 23 mm tyre at 140 psi with a 38 mm tyre at 60 psi. Except for smd4 in some vain effort to demonstrate that his tyres are faster than modern race tyres (which are not 38 mm).
I didn’t try to “demonstrate” anything. Why are you so insistent on mischaracterizing what I write? It’s like you have an agenda or something.

And the numbers I used were just to suggest wide tires at low pressures. Since no study seems to exist, except apocryphally, comparing wide low pressure tires with 23s at 140, we’ll just have to leave it at that.

Last edited by smd4; 03-24-23 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-24-23, 08:16 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by smd4
i didn’t try to “demonstrate” anything. Why are you so insistent on mischaracterizing what i write? It’s like you have an agenda or something.

And the numbers i used were just to suggest wide tires at low pressures. Since no study seems to exist, except apocryphally, comparing wide low pressure tires with 23s at 140, we’ll just have to leave it at that.
bs
Old 03-24-23, 08:18 PM
tomato coupe

I didn’t try to “demonstrate” anything. Why are you so insistent on mischaracterizing what I write? It’s like you have an agenda or something.

And the numbers I used were just to suggest wide tires at low pressures. Since no study seems to exist, except apocryphally, comparing wide low pressure tires with 23s at 140, we’ll just have to leave it at that.
38 mm at 60 psi is not a wide tire at low pressure, it's a wide tire at high pressure.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-24-23, 08:18 PM
smd4

bs
Brilliant retort!

I like beefeaters too.

Last edited by smd4; 03-24-23 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-24-23, 08:20 PM
smd4

38 mm at 60 psi is not a wide tire at low pressure, it's a wide tire at high pressure.
60 psi is high pressure? HAHAHAHAHA!
Old 03-24-23, 08:22 PM
tomato coupe

60 psi is high pressure? HAHAHAHAHA!
It is for a 38 mm tire on planet Earth. But, things might be different on your planet.
Old 03-24-23, 08:22 PM
PeteHski

Brilliant retort!
That's my agenda. Spotting complete bs. So why did you call for that study then?
Old 03-24-23, 08:24 PM
smd4

That's my agenda. Spotting complete bs. So why did you call for that study then?
Just curious.
Old 03-24-23, 08:25 PM
smd4

It is for a 38 mm tire on planet Earth. But, things might be different on your planet.
40 psi then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.