Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help with front hub service

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-20, 02:53 PM
rovis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi,

Sorry, under 10 posts, so no pic yet (edit: see pic below, in my 11th post)
I need some help with my front wheel hub on a Fulcrum Racing Sport wheel, maybe 4-5 years old.
Noticed lately a side-to-side movement, about 2mm from center at the top of the fork.
I've took off a plastic cover on top of the assembly on the QR side and it shows as in the image. There's some grease overflow visible, but mostly my question is about the type of this hub. Shimano maybe?
And it looks like there's another metal piece between the plastic cover and the ball-bearing. Anybody familiar with this built?
It looks like even if I remove the two nuts to remove the axle, the metal piece is sitting under the spokes' hooks. Wonder how can I service/de grease/grease this hub? Or even replace the bearings, if possible?

Last edited by rovis; 12-22-20 at 04:46 PM. Reason: update with photo
Old 12-22-20, 02:56 PM
rovis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
pic attached

Old 12-22-20, 04:49 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
You have nothing to lose just take the axle out seems it probably comes out using allen wretch. Then it has either ball bearings or cartridge bearings. The later will need new sealed bearings but I am thinking this is a loose ball bearing hub just looking at it. In any case no big deal just go on and depending on bearing replacement cost if cartridge and the trouble, a new front wheel is not all that expensive.
Old 12-22-20, 05:33 PM
rovis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
You have nothing to lose just take the axle out seems it probably comes out using allen wretch. Then it has either ball bearings or cartridge bearings. The later will need new sealed bearings but I am thinking this is a loose ball bearing hub just looking at it. In any case no big deal just go on and depending on bearing replacement cost if cartridge and the trouble, a new front wheel is not all that expensive.
Thanks for your reply. Meanwhile, I've done some research on these wheels and found more info. Hubs, front/rear, are Shimano, with cartridge bearings. The whitish piece visible in the photo, besides the grease, is most likely the external cartridge seal. Found also some instructional video on how to remove the cartridges.
Need to get some degreaser, grease and the bearings. Apparently the bearings are around $10/each, so not too expensive.
However, my concerns at this point are:
how to center the axle after replacing the cartridges?
would I need a cartridge presser to insert the new bearings?
Old 12-22-20, 05:38 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by rovis
I've done some research on these wheels and found more info. Hubs, front/rear, are Shimano, with cartridge bearings.
I'm pretty sure Shimano has never done cartridge bearing hubs, only loose balls. I would guess yours are the Fulcrum Hubs.
Old 12-22-20, 06:15 PM
deacon mark

It appears that is the case. You just need to press in new bearings and make your own press with thread rod or what ever it takes. The centering will already be done as axel should just be there with the bearings on both sides. Personally if it was me I would simply get a new front wheel with a Shimano hub that is fully adjustable anytime. Say what you want about expensive wheels bus give me a Shimano 105 hub with 32 hole rim any day over the other stuff. You can get a wheel for less than $125 that will last forever no issue nothing needed, It simply make is it easy now and in the future.
Old 12-22-20, 07:05 PM
rovis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the price is $125, I'd consider it. Not sure where to find a wheel in this price range though? What I find is only sets, and the cheapest Fulcrums start over $300.
I wouldn't consider anything than Fulcrum at this time, really wouldn't like to mix up components.
Old 12-22-20, 07:21 PM
rovis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is one of the resources found about these specific wheels: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod183939
In Q&A somebody describes the hubs as Shimano and cartridge type.
Old 12-22-20, 07:27 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Replacing the cartridge bearings is not hard, and pressing new ones in isn't either. I go to my local bearing shop and show them the original bearing and they bring out the replacement bearing. Cost for a pair is about $25 here in middle IN. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 12-23-20, 01:07 PM
rovis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Found the parts catalogue that include these specific wheels and here's how these hubs look:

The problem with replacing the bearings, seems to be with the R5-021 shim (metallic) . These are inserted below the outside rim where the spokes are attached. I'd guess it's a destructive approach on one side to remove one of these and then pull the bearings. However, after replacement, not sure how could somebody insert that shim under the spokes rim.

For now, I've decided to keep the wheel as it is. Yes, found some options to purchase only a front wheel, but that would be miss matched to the rear since these Racing Sport seem to be discontinued.
I'm going to wait until the rear goes bad too and then get some better wheels.
Old 12-23-20, 01:13 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by rovis
This is one of the resources found about these specific wheels: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod183939
In Q&A somebody describes the hubs as Shimano and cartridge type.
Fulcrum is a brand owned by Campagnolo. They do not use Shimano hubs
Old 12-23-20, 01:18 PM
deacon mark

I would got to Velomine here is the link. I build wheels and cannot build wheels cheaper or better than these offerings. I have a set of the 105s with 32 hole Shimano front and rear hubs. Shimano hubs are in book great they last forever and can be serviced easily. I like the H and Son rims and I have bought 2 sets of these wheels for each bike. I have one set with Ultegra Hubs I bought 18 months ago ( they don't make an Ultegra Hub anymore) that have over 10000 miles on them and they have required zero work and run beautiful. They are not the latest and greatest and not the lightest. But they work and easy to service.
Newly Stocked Road Wheelsets Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 12-23-20, 01:21 PM
rovis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Fulcrum is a brand owned by Campagnolo. They do not use Shimano hubs
Yes, you're correct. The original quote was picked from some random person who obviously didn't know how these hubs were built.