Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheel Upgrade - fulcrum racing 5 LG to DT Swiss PR 1400

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 03:12 PM
jeffrc83

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Five years ago, I bought a used 2015 Bianchi Infiniti CV, shimano ultegra Di2, rim brake. It is in excellent condition. The current wheels are clincher Fulcrum Racing 5 LG (at least 5 years old but probably much older). I was considering upgrading my wheels. I found a good deal on new DT Swiss PR 1400 DICUT OXiC 32mm. I am curious if this would be a meaningful-noticeable upgrade?

I think that I can get the DT Swiss wheelset for about $800. If you can think of a better value upgrade, I am open ears. I kinda want to stay under 1K.
Old 05-07-24, 05:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Liked 5,718 Times in 2,887 Posts
What is the weight difference? Will the new wheels allow you to use wider tires or are you already limited by frame clearance?
Old 05-07-24, 05:51 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffrc83
Five years ago, I bought a used 2015 Bianchi Infiniti CV, shimano ultegra Di2, rim brake. It is in excellent condition. The current wheels are clincher Fulcrum Racing 5 LG (at least 5 years old but probably much older). I was considering upgrading my wheels. I found a good deal on new DT Swiss PR 1400 DICUT OXiC 32mm. I am curious if this would be a meaningful-noticeable upgrade?

I think that I can get the DT Swiss wheelset for about $800. If you can think of a better value upgrade, I am open ears. I kinda want to stay under 1K.
Yes, that's probably the best wheel upgrade you can make. They're the best rim brake wheels I have ever had, and I've had many. The braking is amazing, build quality is great, the hub sounds nice, and they are pretty darn light. Here's how they look on my bike...

Old 05-07-24, 06:05 PM
jeffrc83

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
What is the weight difference? Will the new wheels allow you to use wider tires or are you already limited by frame clearance?
Fulcrum racing 5 LG: 1658 grams. Tires from 25 mm To 32 mm. Clincher

DT Swiss: 1447 grams. Tubeless ready

I think my frame allows up to 28 mm tires when I look up specs. And it seems my fulcrums allow 28 although I am currently running 25

Last edited by jeffrc83; 05-07-24 at 06:07 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-07-24, 07:22 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3213 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 1,057 Posts

Without knowing anything about where and how you ride, and without knowing what your goals are or how you’d qualify an upgrade, I would recommend the Lún Routte 45 wheelset.

They’re an all-carbon fiber, tubeless ready, rim set with 46mm front depth and 54mm rear depth and 21mm internal width, laced with Sapim CX Ray spokes to Winspace hibs and weighing in at a claimed 1460g. They’re on sale right now for $600, and shipping to USA is $100, so $700 all in:

https://www.winspace.cc/product/lun-...v=7516fd43adaa

Just in terms of depth and width, they’re a definite upgrade to either the Fulcrum or the DT Swiss. Weight is nearly the same as the DT, so that’s a wash, but the enhanced aero performance is a big, big, win. I also think the stability of the wider internal width is a big win, too, but that’s gonna depend mostly on how you ride.

There’s a style advantage to the deep, carbon fiber Lún, but the PR 1400s are sharp lookin’, too, IMO.

The only downside to the Lún *could* be in the carbon fiber braking surface. For heavy and prolonged braking (as down twisty mountain roads), or if braking in the wet, the performance advantage goes to aluminum. Generally, though, carbon fiber works just fine for most people’s needs. I’m a heavyweight, Clyde category rider and use Lún Hyper 2023 rim brakes myself, and don’t have any issues over my rolling terrain, even in the wet. I dunno if the brake surfaces are the same, but you could check with them.
Old 05-07-24, 08:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11048 Post(s)
Liked 7,596 Times in 4,236 Posts
I am curious if this would be a meaningful-noticeable upgrade?

Meaningful/noticeable? Depends on why you want new wheels and what you hope to accomplish.
- It's 7oz of weight savings. That isn't nothing, but it isn't a ton.
- It's a shallow rim profile. So you won't get magical aero gains.
- It's tubeless ready. So you can run tubeless if you want.

Is tubeless and 7oz of weight savings worth $800? If so- get em. If not- don't get em. Pretty straight forward.

A similar suggestion to the Lun wheels earlier...
BTLOS wheels-
- no spoke holes so no need for tubeless tape.
- deeper carbon rim to reduce wind resistance.
- brake track in arc or chevron pattern.
- standard or extra light rim layup.
- quality Pilar Aero spokes.
- quality bitex hibs(they really are quality)

- 45mm deep rim in extra light weighs 1351g and costs $723 shipped.
- 45mm deep rim in extra light weighs 1491g and costs $623 shipped.
- 40mm deep rim in extra light weighs 1336g and costs $723 shipped.
- 45mm deep rim in extra light weighs 1475g and costs $623 shipped.

https://btlos.com/road-bike/road-bik...yclocross-bike
https://btlos.com/road-bike/road-bik...on-road-wheels

I would go for btlos wheels every time if I were to spend $600-800 on rim brake wheels right now. There are a ton of rim depth options, no spoke holes which is very nice, lightweight, rim brake track, and handbuilt. All for less than the DT Wheels.
Old 05-11-24, 03:32 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 447 Posts
Check out btlos.com. Great wheels at low prices. I'd wait and get a disc brake frame to gain the benefits of wider rims and tires. This is my fourth year on disc.