Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Kobe Cobra rejuvenation project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-15, 09:19 PM
karmasoft

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy. Judging by this thread, its been a while since I brought up Kobe bicycles around here.

Back then, I wanted to tackle a bike restoration project to renew some faded skills and interests. Well, so much for great intentions. The project languished for three years apparently.

Anyways... Over the past few months I've squirreled away time here and there, and wouldn't you know it? I "finished," the project. Finished in quotes because, is it really ever finished?

I chose the word rejuvenation instead of restoration because I installed some new stuff on there. I wanted new brakes for example. I also wanted a new freewheel. The size in my dropouts is 124mm. Its a very tight squeeze. Not sure I'm completely ok with it, but for now, it works.

I plan to update this thread with a list of all the parts I retained, why, and so forth. I need help and ideas with a couple things too.

For now, here's a link to the pics. I hope you enjoy them.
Old 07-12-15, 10:28 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I think you've done a great job. Looks quite good. Was the paint a powdercoat, rattle can or actual paint?
Old 07-13-15, 04:24 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Love the barcons!
Old 07-13-15, 10:44 AM
karmasoft

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
I think you've done a great job. Looks quite good. Was the paint a powdercoat, rattle can or actual paint?
Its powdercoated by a shop here in SLC. While the color is what I wanted (three years ago), when I fast-forward to this year, and beginning to reassemble the bicycle, I've found the paint to be, "soft." A couple of stray wrench turns surprised me by dinging the paint. Is this to be expected with powdercoat? In hindsight I would have kept the silver.

As fate would have it, in between buying the Kobe and restoring it, I purchased an old Gold Wing. For that project I did the painting myself, including provisioning my garage for the work. So for the next project, if I want to paint, I wouldn't send the job out, and I wouldn't powdercoat it.
Old 07-13-15, 11:47 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
thanks for posting.

the forum just had a recent Kobe Cobra thread you might like to see also:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...serial-no.html
Old 07-14-15, 11:41 AM
karmasoft

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
thanks for posting.

the forum just had a recent Kobe Cobra thread you might like to see also:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...serial-no.html
Thanks for the link. The serial number topic is interesting. The number on my frame is: TA73267. Can anyone decode that?

On a related note, here's a picture of the left over bits.

Attached Images
Old 07-18-15, 06:06 PM
karmasoft

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the parts manifest listing old part, new part, and brief explanation of my rationale.
Attached Images
Old 07-18-15, 06:36 PM
ncrnelson

Bikes: 1983 Cannondale ST500, 1987 Cannondale SM400 with SA 3 speed hub, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1982 Schwinn Voyageur SP, 1992 Kona Explosif

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Looks really nice, but how do you not slide off that saddle? Makes my hands sore just looking at it.
Old 07-20-15, 11:24 AM
Remedytech

Bikes: 1980 Kobe Cobra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karmasoft
Thanks for the link. The serial number topic is interesting. The number on my frame is: TA73267. Can anyone decode that?

On a related note, here's a picture of the left over bits.

Where was your serial number located? Still haven't found a definitive number/letter combo to tell me.
Old 07-22-15, 02:36 PM
karmasoft

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ncrnelson
Looks really nice, but how do you not slide off that saddle? Makes my hands sore just looking at it.
Its interesting that you mention / observe this... while I wanted the seating position to be somewhat aggressive, practically slipping forward when mounting is rather too much. It doesn't help that the frame is 54cm and I should be riding a 56. =/ I did two miles on it the other day and yikes. Should I try another seat, or another seat post?
Old 07-22-15, 02:41 PM
karmasoft

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Remedytech
Where was your serial number located? Still haven't found a definitive number/letter combo to tell me.
The serial number was located on the seat tube, left side, just above the bottom bracket.

T-Mar sent me a very detailed analysis of Kobe serial #'s. (thanks!) According to his analysis my bike is a ~1977 unit, given the 76.10 on the seat post.

However I thought the 73 following the TA in the serial number meant 1973... ? Would it be possible the frame was made in '73 but not assembled until years later? T-Mar went on to suggest the TA stood for Tano, a manufacturer at the time. Very interesting.
Old 07-22-15, 03:05 PM
ncrnelson

Bikes: 1983 Cannondale ST500, 1987 Cannondale SM400 with SA 3 speed hub, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1982 Schwinn Voyageur SP, 1992 Kona Explosif

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by karmasoft
Its interesting that you mention / observe this... while I wanted the seating position to be somewhat aggressive, practically slipping forward when mounting is rather too much. It doesn't help that the frame is 54cm and I should be riding a 56. =/ I did two miles on it the other day and yikes. Should I try another seat, or another seat post?
Velo Orange sells a nice liking setback seatpost, Thompson does as well, though it's not as vintage looking. If you want aggressive you should be able to have the saddle relatively level, but further forward over the pedals. For more relaxed riding you'd want it further back so more weight is on your butt. I need mine sloping back a bit otherwise I find myself slipping onto the nose. I keep mine further back to reduce weight on my hands, but I don't ride hard on my bike with a Brooks.

I'm no expert on fitting though, try different things and go with what feels right for you.