Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek confirmed with me Domane ALR is not coming back for 2019. RIP

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 11:27 AM
wayne310

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was hoping for 300 series ALR but seems like gravel is all the focus.

I would go SL carbon but its still not superlight at that price point.
Old 10-31-18, 11:44 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by wayne310
I would go SL carbon but its still not superlight at that price point.
Okay, but who buys a Domane for superlight? That's why there's the Emonda line.
Old 10-31-18, 12:26 PM
wayne310

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Okay, but who buys a Domane for superlight? That's why there's the Emonda line.
i read on forums that emonda alr disc can take 32c tires..is that true? then it makes sense why they didnt update domane
Old 10-31-18, 07:24 PM
bouds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wayne310
i read on forums that emonda alr disc can take 32c tires..is that true? then it makes sense why they didnt update domane
I have the direct mount rim brake version with Contis that measure out to about 29cm with room to spare, I’m not guaranteeing 32cm on disc brake but it sounds very possible.
Old 11-01-18, 12:15 AM
milan4ever

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I am disappointed too. I tried 52cm emonda but even after flipping the stem my neck hurt. Then I tried 54cm demane ( LBS did not have 52cm on stock) and it was more comfortable than emonda but too big. Do you think 52cm demane will be the right one for me? I want to go with aluminium frame but emonda's 300 series (ALR) seems like much better deal than domane's 100 series (Al).
Old 11-01-18, 12:17 AM
carlton

Bikes: canondale silk trail--92 schwinn criss cross--sun atlas x type--fugi odessa--2018 trek domane ALR5 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Domane and Checkpoint are way different frame sets. Tried to justify a checkpoint before buying my domane. It would take some really weird stem and stack work to get it anywhere near my domane. My neck starts hurting just thinking about riding a checkpoint. Hopefully trek will come to their senses and release an updated aluminum domane at a later date.
Old 11-01-18, 03:08 AM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by carlton
Domane and Checkpoint are way different frame sets. Tried to justify a checkpoint before buying my domane. It would take some really weird stem and stack work to get it anywhere near my domane. My neck starts hurting just thinking about riding a checkpoint. Hopefully trek will come to their senses and release an updated aluminum domane at a later date.
The Domane, Checkpoint, and Emonda are not that different in stack and reach. Reach is similar and stack 1 or 2cm.
You should be able to fit all of them unless you are need all the stack height of the Domane and couldn't fit 1 or 2cm of spacers to the others to get to the same.
Old 11-01-18, 04:33 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
The Domane, Checkpoint, and Emonda are not that different in stack and reach. Reach is similar and stack 1 or 2cm.
You should be able to fit all of them unless you are need all the stack height of the Domane and couldn't fit 1 or 2cm of spacers to the others to get to the same.
What Dean said. With judicious frame selection, i.e. sizing toward big instead of smaller, with +17 deg rider stem, a H2 geometry Emonda should fit just fine.
If you have trouble crunching the trig, post with your stack and reach target and bar height objective.

Will say this further...a bit of philosophy. Almost never a fault to buy a bit more bike than you may believe you need. Reason is pretty simple. Most don't regret owning something a bit more high end than lower end. In the context of bicycles, think about owning a bike as a 10-15 year proposition. If you take the cost difference between carbon and Al and divide it by the number of years you plan to own the bike, this cost becomes pretty insignificant relative to enjoying an upgraded bike every mile you ride it.

In your shoes, I wouldn't bat an eye and buy the carbon Domane with 35c tire clearance...or get the Domane gravel. I own both carbon and Al, love both but prefer carbon for its lightness and riding rougher roads. I have no issue owning an Al bike. Love my new Allez Elite in Al...but it aint' no carbon Roubaix all said which is lighter and friendlier over rougher road with the same wheels and tires and I can fly on the Allez. Btw, if you wonder why I bought the Allez in the first place which is a warranty replacement for a Secteur, the reason is rack eyelets. The bike has rack eyelets and I use it for light touring. If they made a carbon bike with rack eyelets, I likely would have bought that. Modern Al is outstanding but carbon is king based upon my riding experience if performance and ride quality is the goal.

That is where I come down. Save your money a bit longer if necessary.

Other thing is, you can find an almost new or demo Emonda SL6 with 500 series carbon frame or same model level carbon Domane off Ebay for about the same price of a new Al Emonda or Domane at the local bike shop. I bought such a bike for my friend and it is like new and a magic carpet.

My opinion. Many slightly used, almost new carbon road bikes on ebay for 1/2 of retail price or 60%...bike shops offloading their end of year models or new owners with buyer remorse that did little more than take it around the block.

Last edited by Campag4life; 11-01-18 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-01-18, 05:31 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Save your money a bit longer if necessary.
Never ending circle there and you'll go crazy. Next week/month/year it is the same situation with a few name changes.

Last edited by u235; 11-01-18 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-01-18, 09:02 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Never ending circle there and you'll go crazy. Next week/month/year it is the same situation with a few name changes.
Sorry, but I see no veracity in what you wrote. Never ending circle of what? Name changes?

An increment more bike for an increment more money. If the plan is to own the bike for 10 years, the increment more you paid for it will quickly fade relative to the increment more you will enjoy the bike every time you throw a leg over it. My experience. Should be no shed tears for nixed Al Domane. The carbon version is a better bike and with all the great deals off ebay, you can likely find one for the same price as an Al Domane you pay retail for.
Old 11-01-18, 02:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Hmmm...

So, what does the "R" mean?

There is a Domain AL for 2019. It appears as if one difference is the ALR has the Isospeed Decoupler (that is the subject of another topic), while the Domain AL does not.
Old 11-01-18, 03:15 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
So, what does the "R" mean?
Quality tier designations for their framesets within a family. S means carbon, A means aluminum. LR means higher-end than L.

SLR > SL
ALR > AL
Old 11-02-18, 01:57 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Quality tier designations for their framesets within a family. S means carbon, A means aluminum. LR means higher-end than L.

SLR > SL
ALR > AL
Thanks. I figured it wasn't a Single Lens Reflex.

It sounds like Trek has a pretty busy lineup from the bottom of the line up to the top of the line. It also means that few shops would be able to maintain floor stock of a large chunk of their offerings.
Old 11-02-18, 01:55 PM
carlton

Bikes: canondale silk trail--92 schwinn criss cross--sun atlas x type--fugi odessa--2018 trek domane ALR5 disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The checkpoint has a much higher stand over height than a domane. I ride a 62 cm domane and the stand over is tight. The 61 checkpoint has a taller standover than a 62 domane so it wouldn't work. If I went with a checkpoint it would have to be a 58 cm. The 62 domane has a 6.56 cm stack, the 58 checkpoint has a 6.09 cm stack. That's 47 mm difference or about 2 inches. Since I'm already using a 25 degree-75mm stem on the domane, I would need a 40 degree X 90mm to get in the same ballpark stack and reach wise. Which as I said earlier is pretty weird stem and stack work. The emonda is a little closer frame wise but only fits 30mm tires. I'm presently running 35mm compass tires which are noted for their cushy ride. They are barely cushy enough for me. So I'm surely not going down in tire size.
Old 11-02-18, 01:58 PM
aspalmat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by milan4ever
I am disappointed too. I tried 52cm emonda but even after flipping the stem my neck hurt. Then I tried 54cm demane ( LBS did not have 52cm on stock) and it was more comfortable than emonda but too big. Do you think 52cm demane will be the right one for me? I want to go with aluminium frame but emonda's 300 series (ALR) seems like much better deal than domane's 100 series (Al).
I have a 52cm, Domane AL3. I'm 5' 6" and 140 lbs. It fits me very well.
Old 11-02-18, 04:11 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
The checkpoint has a much higher stand over height than a domane. I ride a 62 cm domane and the stand over is tight. The 61 checkpoint has a taller standover than a 62 domane so it wouldn't work. If I went with a checkpoint it would have to be a 58 cm. The 62 domane has a 6.56 cm stack, the 58 checkpoint has a 6.09 cm stack. That's 47 mm difference or about 2 inches. Since I'm already using a 25 degree-75mm stem on the domane, I would need a 40 degree X 90mm to get in the same ballpark stack and reach wise. Which as I said earlier is pretty weird stem and stack work. The emonda is a little closer frame wise but only fits 30mm tires. I'm presently running 35mm compass tires which are noted for their cushy ride. They are barely cushy enough for me. So I'm surely not going down in tire size.
I can see where you are coming from now but would say your geometry requirements are a bit outside of the norm.
Old 11-02-18, 04:26 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Since I'm already using a 25 degree-75mm stem on the domane, I would need a 40 degree X 90mm to get in the same ballpark stack and reach wise.
Extreme stems like that are available, such as the Velo Orange Happy. Or you could of course use extenders. Those solutions do look a little weird, but so does fitting a too-large bike with a super-short stem and a slammed saddle.
Old 11-02-18, 04:26 PM
milan4ever

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aspalmat
I have a 52cm, Domane AL3. I'm 5' 6" and 140 lbs. It fits me very well.
Thanks, I am 5'6" too I need to find 52cm Domane somewhere and give it a try.
Old 11-02-18, 04:40 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
why is standover so important to you?
Old 11-02-18, 04:44 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
why is standover so important to you?
The standover not mattering argument is one of the lamest on the web. I would never own a bike I couldn't stand over. I have owned 50 roadbikes.
Old 11-02-18, 04:48 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
The standover not mattering argument is one of the lamest on the web. I would never own a bike I couldn't stand over. I have owned 50 roadbikes.
Compromising on fit and having to use 40 degree stems is even more lame
Old 11-02-18, 04:51 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Compromising on fit and having to use 40 degree stems is even more lame
You and I wouldn't do that either. Likely more a physical issue or a perception of what geometry he needs versus his anatomy.
With all the geometries available, no reason to have major compromises in bike set up.
Old 11-03-18, 08:06 PM
carlton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can see where you are coming from now but would say your geometry requirements are a bit outside of the norm.
And I would answer, that after 64 years on planet earth, I am well versed in frame geometry and know exactly what I need to be comfortable, efficient, and safe on a bicycle.
Old 11-03-18, 08:11 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
And I would answer, that after 64 years on planet earth, I am well versed in frame geometry and know exactly what I need to be comfortable, efficient, and safe on a bicycle.
No carlton. We will tell you what is best for you and you will gratefully opine how liberating it is to finally shed your cloak of wrongheadedness, start anew purged of the limiting demon of bandaiding your fit with an ungainly stem and you will be set free to soar to new unimaginable heights.
Old 11-03-18, 08:17 PM
carlton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Extreme stems like that are available, such as the Velo Orange Happy. Or you could of course use extenders. Those solutions do look a little weird, but so does fitting a too-large bike with a super-short stem and a slammed saddle.
Saddle is not slammed. And I'm not in to weird stack and stem engineering as I already mentioned. Best bet is to get as close as you can in frame fitment. Then finish off with stem and stack height.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.