Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

All City Zig Zag review...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

All City Zig Zag review...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 12:32 PM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryder1
Thanks for the review. Beautiful bike. Any update on how you're getting along with the increase fork offset/front-center?
If I were to write this review again I could be a lot more concise. It's got a long wheelbase, relatively long chainstays for a "road" bike, and low trail. It's long and "slow" in the back, and twitchy, almost crit bike like in the front. It's not "bad", at all, especially if the idea of that combination appeals to you. But it is, IMO, kind of an unusual combination, like sriracha sauce and peanut butter or something. It definitely goes fast up and down, and it's pretty light for a steel frame, but you need to keep your wits about you when you're riding it. It's a neat bike though. Originally, I wanted an Allied All Road, but I'm not a dentist, I deliver pizza, so I went for something that was marketed as being similar (fast road bike w/ clearance). That's what this bike is.
Old 05-27-21, 05:15 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by showlow
My expectation was to get a quality steel road bike, that was every bit as fast as my Zurich, but lighter, with discs, and clearance for at least a 32. That's what this bike promised and I'm stoked to say I got it. It's every bit as fast as my Zurich (I've set several PRs on multiple rides on it already) but it is basically an improvement in just about every way.
Thanks for your write up. I've got two steel Lemond road bikes and find myself in a similar situation needing more tire clearance. I'm torn between building up a Lemond Poprad disc - which will clear 35s - or a Zig Zag.

Did your Zig Zag actually end up being lighter than your Zurich? I ask because my Washoe and my Croix de fer weigh 16 and 17 pounds respectively, ready-to-ride. I haven't seen a Zig Zag build come in under 20 pounds yet. I can't figure out if the All City frames are super heavy, or if their component choices are hefty.
Likes For RNAV:
Old 05-27-21, 05:20 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
Thanks for your write up. I've got two steel Lemond road bikes and find myself in a similar situation needing more tire clearance. I'm torn between building up a Lemond Poprad disc - which will clear 35s - or a Zig Zag.

Did your Zig Zag actually end up being lighter than your Zurich? I ask because my Washoe and my Croix de fer weigh 16 and 17 pounds respectively, ready-to-ride. I haven't seen a Zig Zag build come in under 20 pounds yet. I can't figure out if the All City frames are super heavy, or if their component choices are hefty.
Just a suspicion: the frames are heavier. I have a LeMond with an 853 Reynolds main triangle - and even with a mediocre build, it is lighter than AC's claimed weight for a Zig Zag Ultegra in my size. Those old stell LeMond's are damn good frames.
Old 05-28-21, 03:18 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
What tail light is that? I'd like one with that seat stay mount. Bad ass bike by the way. Every bike should have a pump peg.

Old 05-28-21, 06:51 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
What tail light is that?
Looks like a Cygolite.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-28-21, 07:51 AM
Canada1919

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good to see that it is capable of both zigging and zagging
Old 05-28-21, 08:29 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Nice bike, nice pics. Although it makes me sad to see a bike lying on the ground.
Likes For bikecrate: