Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stem digging in the steering tube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stem digging in the steering tube

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-22, 04:26 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
So as you push it down you will see that ‘cut’/gap get narrower. 3) So!…put your fork back on and tap that collar down into place (you can see how it slides in and tightens up) and then put on your stem (if you put spacers in first, make sure they are narrow/thin enough to ONLY touch that collar and not the bearing
Wow! Thanks, although it seems to complicate a little. It looks like the that collar was not properly mounted. I think the collar is not pressed down directly by the spacers, but by the top of the headset - the one in the picture below. In the past, when I checked the system, I found inside parts of a thin broken plastic washer which I removed. I assumed it was a gasket coming from bearings. Maybe that was on top, assuring the pressure over the collar? Although I had a mechanic checking the system at that moment and he didn't see anything wrong...
I am still investigating, as I might decide to add a thin layer of carbon fiber in affected area, to come back to 28.6 mm diameter. But first, I must figure out how to make whole headset to work properly and identify whether that broken thin plastic washer was really an important part.

Last edited by Redbullet; 10-17-22 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-07-22, 04:46 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Yep—you are right—what you are calling the ‘top of the headset’ is really a just a top spacer and, yes, that should push down on the collar. Its really not that complicated, I’m just not good at explaining it😥 but really do take it to a bike shop and have them show you how to do it—its easy once you see it done right! (They shouldn’t even charge you, but if they do, its worth the $20 to see it done right.)
Old 05-08-22, 02:08 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
I’m just not good at explaining it😥
Thanks very much for the explanations, I really understood all and help a lot.
I decided not to replace the fork. Not only that it is expensive, but I think the old one is not yet critically affected. Besides, I would have further issues (and costs) with properly painting a new fork: no too much expertise on carbon bikes in my country. I'll do some preservation works with epoxy on the steerer at the contact with the stem, then I shall add a thin layer of carbon fiber at the contact with the collar, just to restore the 28.6mm diameter (I assume that now, with 0.2-0.3mm decrease in steerer diameter, the collar can not be really tightened on it). And finally, I'll move from 28.6mm stem to 31.8mm and shim adapter. That should prevent further digging in the steerer. I hope the above will solve the issues...

All the best.
Likes For Redbullet: