Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

a dilemma

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

a dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-23, 04:28 PM
Baetis

Bikes: SL4 S-Works, Ibis Mojo 3, Kona Sutra Ltd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
a dilemma

So here it is. I have a gvl bike that I HATE. Kona Sutra Ltd, 50 mm tires. I just think it is too harsh of a ride. I also have a Specialized S Works Di2 that I LOVE. My wife thinks I should look into a new gvl bike (I have a great line on a Cervelo Aspero 810 2x) I am considering selling the first two bikes to facilitate the purchase of the Aspero? And maybe a dedicated set of CF rims. I was considering the Aspero to use also as my road bike replacement. What does the hive mind think of this reasoning? No real rush to make the decision. I will be trying out the Aspero in Tucson the end of Oct. More about me: my road riding has been reduced to basically 3-4 weeks in Tucson when we visit spring and fall. The lack of roads around here and the dramatic increase in traffic has really limited my road riding. My wife would prefer me to be off the roads and do more mtb and/or gvl. Last year i did 15-20 road rides and over 50 mtb rides. (We currently iive in So Central CO)
Old 10-05-23, 04:35 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Keep the Specilized, sell the Kona. Get a gravel bike plus a 2nd set of wheels and put asphalt tires and maybe different road gearing. I ride my Topstone mostly as a 2nd road bike, with 30mm tires at lesser air pressure, it’s somewhat more comfortable than my carbon road bike that can only use 25mm tores at 100+ air. The Topstone is 5 lbs heavier and as such I use the carbon when I do fast road group rides, but the Topstone for all else,
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 10-05-23, 04:35 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Baetis
Kona Sutra Ltd, 50 mm tires. I just think it is too harsh of a ride.
You lost me right there.

What psi are you running in those 50mm tires?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-05-23, 04:48 PM
Baetis

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
30. My mechanic recommended to drop it to 20-25. But, you know, I got the go-ahead for a new bike so.............

Last edited by Baetis; 10-05-23 at 04:53 PM.
Likes For Baetis:
Old 10-05-23, 06:19 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Keep all the bikes, buy the Aspero. 😁
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 10-05-23, 06:20 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You lost me right there.

What psi are you running in those 50mm tires?
I’ve heard this before from a buddy had a Sutra. It’s heavy and a slug. He sold and went to an aluminum Topstone, which he likes much better,
Old 10-05-23, 06:42 PM
Baetis

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Keep all the bikes, buy the Aspero. 😁
Welp, need to get the new one w/o any cash deficit. PLUS, we're most likely headed to Europe for a year and limited to one bike. Like my mechanic said tho, if I WANT to mtb, i could always rent one over there.
Old 10-05-23, 07:11 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
You'd probably find the Aspero to be a nice road bike. I have a Specialized Diverge 2x with 700x38 tires which I ride mostly on paved roads and it's a very enjoyable ride. I also have a Cervelo Caledonia, which is more responsive and feels faster, but the Diverge is just as enjoyable to ride on pavement, and is good off-road too. I've never tried an Aspero, but I'm guessing it would ride much like my Diverge. For solo riding, I consider the Diverge just as good on the road as the Caledonia. If I'm riding with others, I'll take the Caledonia because it's faster. If I'm riding off-road, I'll take the Diverge. On solo rides on paved roads, one is just as good as the other. The Aspero seems like a good option for you.
Old 10-05-23, 11:04 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Looking at trailforks for your area I'd forget the road/gravel bike completely and just get more MTBs. Almost looks like there are more mtb trails than roads.
Likes For Canker:
Old 10-06-23, 12:38 AM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts
Keep the bike you love. Sell the one you hate. If you need a gravel/MTB, get one of those in Europe.

Last edited by David_Harris; 10-06-23 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-06-23, 01:02 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,301 Times in 2,948 Posts
I use my Aspero for both road and gravel when traveling. It works fine for both -- just swap out wheels.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-06-23, 05:45 AM
Jklotz

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by David_Harris
Keep the bike you love. Sell the one you hate. If you need a gravel/MTB, get one of those in Europe.
I agree with this. If you love your Specialized, keep it. There's no guarantee you'll like a new bike you've never ridden as much, no matter what it is.
Old 10-06-23, 08:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
So which S-Works bike do you have? Might make comparing to the Kona Sutra Ltd a little easier to understand why you don't like the way you perceive the ride of the Kona.
Old 10-06-23, 08:27 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Selling a bike that you love is never a good idea. Learned this the hard way.

I also don't like the ''my wife would prefer me doing XXXXX''. Do whatever floats your boat and buy the bike that fits your needs - riding is all about pleasure.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 10-06-23, 08:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
1- try typing the full word out. Gravel. Its fun to type vowels on message boards and not pretend to be trendy race directors that cant fully spell words. Gravel. Give it a shot- I bet you like it.
2- the Sutra LTD is a really slack gravel bike that is more for bikepacking or for someone who wants to underbike with dropbars on some rough singletrack. Oddly, that seems like your situation based on location and posts, but if it doesnt work for you it doesnt work for you.
3- An Aspero will be night and day different from your Sutra LTD. The Sutra LTD has a super slack HTA, long chainstays, and a long wheelbase/front center.
4- You mention how many road rides and how many MTB rides you did, but dont mention any gravel riding. Would you do any gravel riding if you had the Aspero?...if there isnt much use for it, why buy it?
Old 10-06-23, 08:48 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Welp, need to get the new one w/o any cash deficit. PLUS, we're most likely headed to Europe for a year and limited to one bike. Like my mechanic said tho, if I WANT to mtb, i could always rent one over there.
Sell the Kona, keep the Spesh... Find some way to 'store' the Spesh while you're in Europe.
I travel over there most every year for an extended period (over a month...), have my family home there, and keep some bikes there for my use. I was gonna ship a bike there, last year. It's now very expensive to ship a bike there. Specifically a gravel bike. Decided to NOT ship, bought a budget (Decathlon) gravel bike there. I have an older S-works Tarmac over there, which was my go-to while there... The Decathlon $800 gravel bike QUICKLY became my goto ride - perfect for the area I'm from... The Sworks dropped to just 25% of rides... still LOVE it though...
Traveling with Bikes, to overseas, limits what else you might want to take... but flying with one is a consideration.... Flying with 2 (I'm assuming your spouse also rides ?) would be more difficult.
You can easily buy a bike over there ...
But if the Aspero is a good deal, here, and you can ride/test it... try to do that... Then decide ...
...what I would do...

work to not experiencing HATE... it's a condition/emotion which is poisonous to the person experiencing it. Even using the word 'HATE' brings internal negativity. Dislike happens, and one can find ways to mitigate and focus on more productive things.
If something seems to bring on that 'HATE' emotion, become 'determined' to change that, and relieve that condition...
Focus on the things which Bring JOY... JOY does not limit anything else, like achieving, creating, planning, everything which moves us through a happy and productive life.
Words matter... especially for humans, since so much of what we express is done through language... and language brings on our own reaction and that of others...
My language has lost 'hate' and other very similar terms for many decades now. Losing 'hate' doesn;t mean you can;t be passionate about what is important to you. What it does mean is that your 'passion' remains positive, about the things you 'LOVE' and bring 'JOY'.
The change was remarkable for me. I became a more joyful, productive and happier person, and play much better with others.
... works for me...
a simple change, and fairly easy to do... worth a try?
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 10-06-23 at 08:53 AM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 10-06-23, 03:39 PM
Baetis

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So which S-Works bike do you have? Might make comparing to the Kona Sutra Ltd a little easier to understand why you don't like the way you perceive the ride of the Kona.
SL4 Di2. All CF. I put my FSA handlebar on it when I got it.
Old 10-06-23, 04:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
SL4 Di2. All CF. I put my FSA handlebar on it when I got it.
Thanks. They made both the Roubaix and Tarmac with SL4 frames that were very different in geometry. Probably a little moot now since it sounds like you decided on the Aspero. I'm not quite certain but SL4 or SL(n) doesn't describe a particular bike model. It's a series spec or something like that that lets you see what generation or version a frame build was. Fact(nn) is more specific too to let you know what type carbon lay up the frame was built with. They made both the Tarmac and Roubaix's with SL4 frames and through the years continued on with SL6, SL7 and are now up to SL8.... for both Roubaix and Tarmac. Both way different frame geometry. And the SL(n) might apply to other models too.

Aspero looks like a nice bike for gravel. Might not like it on the paved road if you are a fast rider. The Kona seem to be a very upright sitting bike. So probably if anything you had a lot of weight on the saddle. That and for certain it's not a road bike for paved roads would be a no for me. The Aspero seems like it'd give you half a chance to enjoy a ride on paved roads.
Old 10-06-23, 04:26 PM
Baetis

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
1- try typing the full word out. Gravel. Its fun to type vowels on message boards and not pretend to be trendy race directors that cant fully spell words. Gravel. Give it a shot- I bet you like it.
2- the Sutra LTD is a really slack gravel bike that is more for bikepacking or for someone who wants to underbike with dropbars on some rough singletrack. Oddly, that seems like your situation based on location and posts, but if it doesnt work for you it doesnt work for you.
3- An Aspero will be night and day different from your Sutra LTD. The Sutra LTD has a super slack HTA, long chainstays, and a long wheelbase/front center.
4- You mention how many road rides and how many MTB rides you did, but dont mention any gravel riding. Would you do any gravel riding if you had the Aspero?...if there isnt much use for it, why buy it?
w/o a doubt I'd probably do a lot more gravel riding if I liked my gravel bike.
Old 10-06-23, 04:28 PM
Baetis

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It's probably the Roubaix but there is NO MENTION anywhere on the bike or the paperwork. It is definitely not the Tarmac.
Old 10-09-23, 09:50 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Hard to understand how 50c tires at low pressures isn't comfortably, but with that said comfort is subjective. If you only road ride 4 times a year yeah ditching the road bike might make sense but I am kind of more interested on what kind of gravel you ride where 50c tires just don't just cut it. I think at this point if large tires aren't doing the trick than a gravel bike with mechanical dampening like the Roubaix or even the Diverge STR might make sense.