Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2024 Endurace

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2024 Endurace

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-23, 09:11 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
2024 Endurace

Looks like the Endurace will get some changes for 2024: Canyon wants you to leave the saddlebag at home: in-frame storage added to new Endurace models (msn.com)

More upright geometry and top tube internal storage featured.
Old 08-15-23, 09:30 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Without fender mounts, it's not an all-day bike to me and certainly not a multi-day event bike. It's a fair weather bike for the "I ain't riding in the rain" crowd.

I wanted to go with Canyon, but the Domane won based on broader range of usability.

I understand they're trying to discern between a racier model and more rugged bikepacking, but hidden fender mounts don't destroy the racy look.
Old 08-15-23, 09:39 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Glad I already have mine. These changes are going in a direction that would have me looking elsewhere.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-15-23, 09:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Without fender mounts, it's not an all-day bike to me and certainly not a multi-day event bike. It's a fair weather bike for the "I ain't riding in the rain" crowd.

I wanted to go with Canyon, but the Domane won based on broader range of usability.

I understand they're trying to discern between a racier model and more rugged bikepacking, but hidden fender mounts don't destroy the racy look.
I’ve ridden mine all day in the rain. It’s not a touring bike.
Old 08-15-23, 10:05 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by genejockey
Glad I already have mine. These changes are going in a direction that would have me looking elsewhere.
Same for me. It seems like they are differentiating it further from their Ultimate race bike. I’m sure it will be a great bike, but I’m happy with the comfort/speed compromise of the current model.
Old 08-15-23, 11:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I’ve ridden mine all day in the rain. It’s not a touring bike.
Indeed, mine is my rainy day bike, being made of plastic and having disk brakes and all. I also got around the lack of fender mounts. If it weren't for this bike, I'd have done very little outdoor riding last winter, with all the rain we got!

Old 08-15-23, 02:22 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Looks like the Endurace will get some changes for 2024: Canyon wants you to leave the saddlebag at home: in-frame storage added to new Endurace models (msn.com)

More upright geometry and top tube internal storage featured.
So they made it more endurance and made it a Domane. Pass
Old 08-15-23, 09:43 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
So they made it more endurance and made it a Domane. Pass
Stack is so tall on the new Endurace that even I can dream of "slamming the stem."

Geometry has moved closer to Domane but at least the Endurace does not have all the additional moving parts of IsoSpeed.
Old 08-16-23, 06:51 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
I have to agree. I was really waiting for these new models and when I see what they've done... I'm not so sure I'm going with them. I can't stand that top tube tool space. I was watching a video and they said that one of the bits came loose and made it's way down to the BB. He had to remove it in order to get the bit out. I also don't like how flimsy the snap on door for the top tube tool kit looks. Why didn't they just put in bosses so that I could attach a top tube bag! Also, I cannot stand the mat finish (just a personal thing I guess). And I don't see why they have that baby blue color, ouch! But still, where else can you get a carbon ultegra Di2 equipped bike for $4200?
Old 08-16-23, 08:34 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
A YouTuber, David Arthur (Just Ride Bikes) raised some good points about this bike that I agreed with (admittedly not having owned a previous Endurace nor even seen the new one in person). It seems like it doesn't quite know exactly what it is, not being as good at speed as a race bike nor having as much utility as a gravel bike. It adopts several features from both of these categories, but the selection of those features (e.g. the top tube storage) are odd. The result seems to be a bike that has some racy features, some gravel features, but the selection of those features are odd enough that its an odd-bird in the endurance category as well.

A bike without an identity, either destined to flounder or create an almost new category of its own.
Old 08-16-23, 08:54 AM
TakingMyTime

It comes with a 30mm front tire and a 32mm rear. No matter what their reasoning, I prefer to have mine match.

I'm not as much against what they're trying to create here (I like the higher Stack and shorter Reach), I just don't like the top tube storage and as a purely aesthetic observation... I don't like the black chainstay protector. Why not clear?
Old 08-16-23, 09:32 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
It would seem that the top tube storage would be pretty useless if it is not compartmentalized from the rest of the frame. Things do shift and move, and there is always a limit to how far you can reach in to retrieve things.

Black tape on the chainstay can always be changed to clear pretty easily.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-16-23, 09:42 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime

I'm not as much against what they're trying to create here (I like the higher Stack and shorter Reach), I just don't like the top tube storage and as a purely aesthetic observation... I don't like the black chainstay protector. Why not clear?
My grey 2022 Endurace has a clear chainstay protector, which now looks dirty and is hard to clean. So maybe black is better in the long term. No big deal as it’s something you can easily customise to your preference.

I’m not a big fan of internal tube storage either. It’s always a compromise that I prefer to deal with myself. My multi-tool and Dynaplug kit slip easily into a jersey pocket anyway, even when fully loaded for an all-day ride. I also have a tiny saddle bag, which I rarely use.

At least they haven’t gone for integrated lighting like Cannondale!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-16-23, 09:48 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by sir_crash_alot
A YouTuber, David Arthur (Just Ride Bikes) raised some good points about this bike that I agreed with (admittedly not having owned a previous Endurace nor even seen the new one in person). It seems like it doesn't quite know exactly what it is, not being as good at speed as a race bike nor having as much utility as a gravel bike. It adopts several features from both of these categories, but the selection of those features (e.g. the top tube storage) are odd. The result seems to be a bike that has some racy features, some gravel features, but the selection of those features are odd enough that its an odd-bird in the endurance category as well.

A bike without an identity, either destined to flounder or create an almost new category of its own.
It seems to me like a full-on endurance bike, similar to a Trek Domane. The previous model was very close to their race bike. Maybe they should change the name from Endurace to Endurance, since it is now less of a cross between Endurance and Race.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-16-23, 09:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Mojo31
It would seem that the top tube storage would be pretty useless if it is not compartmentalized from the rest of the frame. Things do shift and move, and there is always a limit to how far you can reach in to retrieve things.

Black tape on the chainstay can always be changed to clear pretty easily.
The cover is attached to a sleeve which holds things like a CO2 inflator, cartridges, tire levers, and a multitool BUT they're not included in the price, so you have to buy then separately. It's an interesting idea, but if bits can come loose and fall down the seat tube, it sounds less desirable. And I already mentioned the change in geometry - essentially the Large (what I have now) would have too much stack for me, even with the stem slammed.

Old 08-16-23, 09:50 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by PeteHski
It seems to me like a full-on endurance bike, similar to a Trek Domane. The previous model was very close to their race bike. Maybe they should change the name from Endurace to Endurance, since it is now less of a cross between Endurance and Race.
Yeah, I was kind of thinking that. The great thing about the old Endurace was that it was "racier" than most Endurance bikes, so it was great for those of us not flexible enough for an Ultimate.

Old 08-16-23, 09:56 AM
PeteHski

The cover is attached to a sleeve which holds things like a CO2 inflator, cartridges, tire levers, and a multitool BUT they're not included in the price, so you have to buy then separately. It's an interesting idea, but if bits can come loose and fall down the seat tube, it sounds less desirable. And I already mentioned the change in geometry - essentially the Large (what I have now) would have too much stack for me, even with the stem slammed.
Yup. When I bought my Endurace in 2022 I knew that a new model was imminent. But I didn’t expect them to make so many changes that I wouldn’t have wanted. If I was in the market now I would probably look elsewhere.

But I think it will work very well for some riders. The old model was maybe too race oriented for some tastes. I think this is more of a direct competitor to the Domane.
Old 08-16-23, 10:02 AM
PeteHski

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that. The great thing about the old Endurace was that it was "racier" than most Endurance bikes, so it was great for those of us not flexible enough for an Ultimate.
The main reasons I chose the Endurace over the Ultimate were actually the DT Swiss ERC wheeset (wider internal rims), compliant seatpost and more comfortable bars. The frame geometry differences were pretty minimal from memory. Certainly within my reach and stack range of adjustment.
Old 08-16-23, 10:41 AM
TakingMyTime

The one thing that keeps me going back and looking at the new Endurace is the PRICE. Where else can you get a better than average CF frame with Ultegra Di2 and a power meter for $4199. I could live without the tool compartment which I see as being problematic in the long run. But the PRICE, despite all my complaining I'll probably have one once they're available.
Old 08-16-23, 11:43 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
The one thing that keeps me going back and looking at the new Endurace is the PRICE. Where else can you get a better than average CF frame with Ultegra Di2 and a power meter for $4199. I could live without the tool compartment which I see as being problematic in the long run. But the PRICE, despite all my complaining I'll probably have one once they're available.
Yeah the price is hard to ignore. I paid £4,500 for my 2022 CF SL8 eTap while similar spec bikes from other major brands were around £7,000. The only other major brand that gets anywhere near is Giant, especially when discounted. I paid only £2,000 for my 2019 Defy Advanced Pro 2, discounted from £3,000 list price. But it’s a lower component spec than my Canyon. 105 R7000, alloy bars etc. It does have Giant SLR1 carbon wheels though, which is impressive at that price point.
Old 08-16-23, 02:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
What size frames is everyone referring to when they complain about the terrible new geometry?

I look at the largest size every time and I just dont see anything that is terrible compared to the old bike.
Stack is about 10mm taller.
Reach is the same.
Wheelbase is the same.
Chainstay is the same.
BB drop is the same.
HTA is about the same.
STA is slightly steeper.

If you looked at the old Endurace and thought 'I could race that', then why is this new one anything different?
I am guessing geometry in some of the smaller sizes changed dramatically because this thread is full of some salty takes.
Old 08-16-23, 02:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What size frames is everyone referring to when they complain about the terrible new geometry?

I look at the largest size every time and I just dont see anything that is terrible compared to the old bike.
Stack is about 10mm taller.
Reach is the same.
Wheelbase is the same.
Chainstay is the same.
BB drop is the same.
HTA is about the same.
STA is slightly steeper.

If you looked at the old Endurace and thought 'I could race that', then why is this new one anything different?
I am guessing geometry in some of the smaller sizes changed dramatically because this thread is full of some salty takes.
I confess to being somewhat mystified, since an article I read said that stack had increased by ~27mm and reach reduced by ~15mm. But when I compare the geometry tables for the CF7 (current model) vs the CF SLX 8, stack and reach are essentially the same.

Then, I just found another article that says that's compared to the Ultimate and Aeroad, so NO change in geometry. If that's the case, great! But still irrelevant to me, since I already HAVE an Endurace I'm very happy with.

Last edited by genejockey; 08-16-23 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-16-23, 02:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

It is nice that they're making a CFR version with Dura Ace 12sp. But also irrelevant to me because I am not made of money. Sadly.

Old 08-16-23, 04:25 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Seat tube angle is the biggest change towards comfort. Over 2 degrees back. Did they overcompensate the correction?
Old 08-16-23, 05:50 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4738 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I confess to being somewhat mystified, since an article I read said that stack had increased by ~27mm and reach reduced by ~15mm. But when I compare the geometry tables for the CF7 (current model) vs the CF SLX 8, stack and reach are essentially the same.

Then, I just found another article that says that's compared to the Ultimate and Aeroad, so NO change in geometry. If that's the case, great! But still irrelevant to me, since I already HAVE an Endurace I'm very happy with.
I was comparing these 2 bikes. Size L. I'm sure I'm missing something, but new Stack is LESS than it used to be? I also like the new cockpit where you can at least fine-tune the handlebar width.

Endurace pre 2024
Endurace New 2024

Old:
Stack+ = 708mm
Reach+ = 475mm

New:
Stack+ = 691mm
Reach+ = 472mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.