Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A question about clipless pedals

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A question about clipless pedals

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-23, 06:05 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramshackle
Thanks for the info and tips. After reading the relevant posts, I decided that for my style of recreational riding the cost of switching to road bike clipless pedals/cleats would be greater than the benefits. As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate that leaving well enough alone is sometimes the best option.
I have all my bikes set up with spd pedals, 3 with dual-sided spd, and 2 with dual sided spd/flat pedals. The spd/flat pedals are from the old Nashbar Bike company and are very nice, no longer available. I have 2 sets of spd-sl road shoes and pedals, but I get off the bike a lot more than I used to, usually involving some steps. There are cleat covers for the road variety, but one has to remember to bring them on the ride, then mount and dismount them when needed, and only good for short walks. The recessed spd shoes are much more convenient, and IMO, for pedaling, work just as well as the road variety.
Old 12-03-23, 06:25 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
I used Look pedals for many years, starting when they were introduced in the U.S. market, but I switched to SPD about 25 years ago or so. I still have a few single-sided SPD pedals, but I rarely use them except on the indoor trainer. Double-sided SPD pedals are on all my most-used bikes. Never any problem engaging the cleat with those.

For those who are having trouble deciding between SPD and flat pedals, Shimano makes a double-sided SPD platform pedal. You can feel the SPD mechanism as a small bump in the middle of each pedal, so they're not great for doing lots of miles in solf-soled shoes, but they're good with stiff-soled shoes.
Old 12-04-23, 01:55 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Which SPD shoes did you wear? Shimano has recently released SPD gravel shoes (RX600 and RX801) that are stiffer than its comparably priced MTB shoes (XC502 and XC702).
Indeed - the quality of the MTB shoe is key for a good stiff sole. Which Sidi has done forever, at least with their better shoes. For example, the Genius (road) and Dominator (MTB). I have both and they differ only in the tread on the soles and therefore a small amount of weight. There is no difference in stiffness that I can perceive. I believe the same applies to other upper levels of Sidi MTB and road shoes.

Having used both road and MTB pedals (Shimano SPD and Time RSX) for many years, stiffness and comfort issues like hot spots has not been an issue at all with a better MTB shoe. I haven't experienced that the difference in pedal platform for comfort is a factor at all. The weight factor is tiny and insignificant for all but the most hard core recreational or racing cyclist.

Walkability is the most significant factor by far. If you don't care about it, go with road shoes. If you appreciate or need it, go with an upper end MTB shoe for all purposes. Walkability is a good under any circumstances even just walking across the parking lot. And you can easily drive a car with MTB shoes but not with road cleats!

I love my Time RSX road pedals and cleats. I believe they were the best of the major brands back when I got them (Look, Shimano, Time, Speedplay) and still prefer them to anything currently offered. I have spare cleats and pedals on three road bikes which share my road miles, so I'm probably set for a while. However, when they or my Sidi road shoes wear out, I'll switch everything over to a two bolt system, probably SPD because I currently have them on two gravel bikes and a MTB. Mainly just so I don't ever again bring the wrong shoes to a ride! ... and don't need to sink money into two sets of good shoes. And driving back and forth to rides, etc.