Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Video: Decent advice for beginners

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-24, 05:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-11-24, 06:48 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 1,116 Posts
Does he have a video of changing a tube during his commute on that IG wheel?
Old 04-13-24, 05:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by Classtime
I've seen most or all of his videos since I discovered his channel. No he doesn't have such a video. I don't think he shows repair procedures.

I don't consider IGH hubs to create much extra difficulty, but then again, I used to be a shop mechanic. You need a wrench for the axle nuts. You need to disconnect the gear cable. If there are complications with a chain guard, then it gets pretty involved.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-13-24, 09:24 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 1,116 Posts
Ya. But then adjusting the gear cable?
Old 04-14-24, 07:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Ya. But then adjusting the gear cable?
I suppose it's tricky for some. I learned to do it on a Sturmey Archer when I was a kid. Right now, I can literally do it with my eyes closed. I do it by feel and sound.

Likes For noglider:
Old 04-14-24, 07:30 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 142 Posts
He probably has puncture resistant tires. The commuters best friend when you have an IGH.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 04-15-24, 04:25 AM
Derailed

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx; Hunter CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
He probably has puncture resistant tires. The commuters best friend when you have an IGH.
I can't speak for the person in the video, of course, but that's the same bike I have (Priority Continuum Onyx), and after two inconvenient flats, I replaced the tires with a pair specifically marketed for puncture resistance. It's hard to say for sure that my flat susceptibility improved with the new tires, but I've now had two flat-free years.

I wish the bike had come with such tires in the first place. I wouldn't say that fixing a rear flat is incredibly difficult with the Enviolo hub, disc brakes and belt drive, but it's not something I'd want to do roadside. In fact, I don't even bother to carry provisions for flat repair, so prevention is key for me. (I'm rarely more than a few miles from home, so that affects my risk tolerance regarding having to walk the bike home.)

Last edited by Derailed; 04-15-24 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-16-24, 02:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

It's interesting to see different people's different approaches to these risks. My own approach is to be prepared for the most likely mishaps and maybe a few unlikely ones. It's not a question of if I get a flat, it's a question of when. When I get it, what will I do?

Old 04-18-24, 09:45 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 206 Posts
I love Shifter's videos. He's so down-to-earth. I wonder how many people he has inspired to start bike commuting?

He's a fan of a simple 3 speed IGH and seems to take it everywhere.

I do judge him a bit for not wearing a helmet. (he did a video on "Am I stupid for not wearing a helmet" and I think he is) Helmets may not help much against concussions, but they certainly help with skull damage; there is no real downside, other than it might mess up his hair. (and he has better hair than I do) On the flipside, he rides in Canada, where people are overall friendlier.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-18-24, 12:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I like his videos, too, but I find it eerie that his city is so empty. Where are the people on foot and on bike? Perhaps he chooses places to film that are empty, but I don't know.

Likes For noglider:
Old 04-19-24, 08:27 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I like his videos, too, but I find it eerie that his city is so empty. Where are the people on foot and on bike? Perhaps he chooses places to film that are empty, but I don't know.
I think they're in their day jobs, where for Shifter, making those videos IS his day job! (or is it?)
Old 04-20-24, 05:16 AM
Derailed

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx; Hunter CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
​​​​​​
It's not a question of if I get a flat, it's a question of when. When I get it, what will I do?
I agree. Even with tires designed / marketed to reduce flats, of course I know the risk is not zero. Personally, I've decided that I'd rather deal with walking home (and pushing the bike) when it happens than always carrying the materials to make the repair and making it roadside. Were my commute distance significantly longer, I'd take a different approach. (On pleasure rides, for example, when the risk distance is much greater, I always carry provisions for flat repair.) For commuting, I'm not sure at what point I'd change approach, but I'm sure at some distance I would.

Last edited by Derailed; 04-20-24 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-20-24, 07:53 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 332 Posts
Having visited Calgary several times, I know it’s more like Houston and Denver than NY or Chicago. Seems generally consistent with his location.
Old 04-21-24, 07:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@Smaug1, no Shifter is a journalist, and the video channel is not his main gig.

@Derailed, you have a clear plan, and I suppose that's the important thing. The rule I have for myself is that if it's 2-3 miles or less, I don't need to prepare. In our rural home, I can walk. In the City where we usually are, I can walk or carry the bike on the subway. I don't like doing the latter, but it's an option. But now I have routinized my preparedness. I keep several tools and supplies in my tool bag, and I move it from bike to bike. (I have several bikes.) It's easy to move.

I am divided on helmet wearing. I could be a poster child for helmet advocacy, as my helmet seems to have saved my life in a very bad crash. This was in 1982 when helmets were uncommon, and wearing it was a visible act of weird advocacy. But I occasionally ride without a helmet. I'm not defending this! Sometimes I jump on Citi Bike (the big "sharing" program) without planning. Or I know I'll take it in the beginning of the day but I don't want to bother carrying my helmet with me, and it is something you see people doing. And wearing a helmet really is annoying. When I'm helmetless, I wish I could be that way all the time. But I'm sensible enough to wear it most of the time. I oppose legal helmet mandates, and I disagree that it's the single most important thing. Knowing how to ride safely is far more valuable in preventing injury. People who think wearing a helmet is the single most important thing seem to be less experienced cyclists (or non-cyclists) who judge our actions.

Likes For noglider:
Old 04-24-24, 12:33 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 250 Posts
Yah, for sure Tom Shifter is the best at plugging sensible IGH commuting. He films on a Sunday morning likely.
We need a helmet like a hole in the head, but 75% do I guess. LOL. Calgary is a horrible place to ride tho, IMO. Their hilly freeway trails with double merge lanes are impossible to ride. He seems to use MacLeod Trail a lot, that's just a wide stroad. Edmonton's bad spots are easily avoided. They have more all day traffic I think.
Who gets flats?? LOL. I haven't had one in the city in 20 years, since I quit using thin tires. I go years without one on highways also. There's no thorns and I watch out for nails. With a slow leak it's OK to just pump it up and ride a few miles.
Today I did my first highway ride of the year, 64 miles. Dodged a dozen nails and a ten screws. Passed by a rusty big 1"+ wrench, 10" side cutter and utility knife.
I saw 5 other riders for a change.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 04-24-24 at 08:32 AM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53: