Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

No more mechanical or rim brake 105 group

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

No more mechanical or rim brake 105 group

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-22, 07:14 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Hey Shimano. Remember me?

Old 07-27-22, 08:27 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
"I didn't abandon Shimano, they abandoned me". But they'll do just fine without me, as they have since I stopped buying new bike parts, about 1990 I think. Since then I've been content with mostly used or NOS "obsolete" parts. Not a conscious decision or strict rule, no ideology, I just lost interest in the new stuff.

Oh I did buy a full-sus MTB maybe 15 years ago, but I kinda regret it, don't ride that bike much, can't get excited about it.

All my friends are full-carbon, wireless shifting etc. I can't keep up with them, but mostly because they also have electric motor assist. Oh yeah, also because I am slow.

Total retro-grouch. I hope here in C&V I don't have to defend that!

Mark B
It seems the world in general has long abandoned me. Maybe I am just old. Weird and scary how all of a sudden it just happens. I was just going through a box in storage this morning and found a Colorado Cyclist catalog from spring 1991. How comforting it was to look through those pages.

Last edited by embankmentlb; 07-27-22 at 08:32 AM.
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 07-27-22, 09:43 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Anything new Shimano is dead to me.
You should try spraying a bit of WD40 in the shifters. I hear that can sometimes bring them back to life.
Old 07-27-22, 11:32 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,702 Times in 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Anything new Shimano is dead to me.
Well, the Ultegra hydro group on my new rig shifts like buttah'!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 07-27-22, 11:37 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
You're now dead to me.
Old 07-27-22, 03:36 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
It seems the world in general has long abandoned me. Maybe I am just old. Weird and scary how all of a sudden it just happens. I was just going through a box in storage this morning and found a Colorado Cyclist catalog from spring 1991. How comforting it was to look through those pages.
BMW is offering a subscription system in their newest products. The car is built with all the features, but for using them they charge a fee, for example the heating system in the driver's seat - 17,99 a month or 350 for a lifetime subscription. It is unclear if the life time of your sorry cold behind is meant or the lifetime of the android system used.
I imagine this will become popular as it offers unlimited options (for the vendor) and we can buy a subscription for the granny gear support on our bikes soon.
Thankfully, my vintage bikes will mot be affected. I like to ride bikes; Needless to say I hate to look for a new hobby just because some marketing geniuses got gold of it.

Last edited by martl; 07-27-22 at 03:40 PM.
Likes For martl:
Old 07-27-22, 04:56 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,823 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
and the crankset works well also I assume

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-27-22, 05:29 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,702 Times in 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
and the crankset works well also I assume
Buttah!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 07-28-22, 12:49 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
While expecting a jump to 12-speed for R7100, I didn't expect both hydraulic braking and Di2. I think it looks good, just like R8100 and R9200--all three new generations look better and more balanced (crankset primarily) than before. The massive jump in price, while understandable (since it's hydro braking and electronic shifting), is unfortunate for Shimano's "entry level road/race groupset", but here we are. 105 is no longer the gateway drug (to nicer groupsets), it's the gatekeeper.

So yeah, my C&V + modern component evolution stops at R7000 as far as 105 is concerned. I will have to try that groupset out on a bike as I have the 5800 generation, and with non-fancy Shimano cables (housings, too), the shift feel sucks. Really draggy and dull, with front shifting being alarmingly difficult. And in all honesty, setting up the long-arm-FD generation of Shimmy Shammy derailleurs is a hassle at best. Di2 is a lot easier...... That being said, Dura-Ace 9000 with its branded cables and housings feels wonderful to shift. But aside from that, it really makes you miss the 10-speed stuff, especially 7800/6600/5600. 7900-era Dura-Ace was great, too. Dirt simple to set up. No hyper-tensioning the FD cable and fussing with analyzing cable-to-FD attack angles to get ideal shifting. Gen 1 11-speed stuff looks great, but is a hassle. Braking is fine, but seriously 7402 levers hooked to 7800 calipers is demonstrably stronger feeling.

For mechanical shifting and braking, if you are a moderately good hunter, you can find a beautiful DA 9000 groupset for around $1100 vs. just under $1900 for R7100. R7000 mech/cable systems are of course under $1000 blah blah blah.

I understand, the door on upgrading or updating vintage bikes with modern stuff seems to be closing, or getting even more cost-prohibitive--both in fairly rapid fashion. Still, IMO, EONS better a cost situation than the current "market" for housing for (us) Millennials and Gen Z, but I digress. So lets take stock of what we do have here: TONS of current, new and nearly new generations of groupsets, including ones that many here crabbed about when they were introduced, plus a bunch of older stuff. I am really thankful for Tektro and VO and RH/Soma et al who sell new polished silver components and consumables (tires). My 720 is not going to look good in anything but sparkling silver and tan wall tires, and I am aware of the finite nature of new silvery bits being made/sold. I will continue to methodically gather my favorite pieces and have them waiting in the wings as replacements, or for new builds.

Shimano recently did a limited actually silver silver GRX gravely-goo groupset and wonder of wonders, it looks good! It looks good in context (of modern bike designs/builds). Yes...it's super-fantastic-angle-gasmic modern design, but it's actually polished! Fellow C&V'ers, there is hope.

I could see this looking good on my 620, or any of our repurposed touring/CX bikes, especially if we powder coat or paint them some fun colors.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 07-28-22, 02:09 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Shimano recently did a limited actually silver silver GRX gravely-goo groupset and wonder of wonders, it looks good! It looks good in context (of modern bike designs/builds). Yes...it's super-fantastic-angle-gasmic modern design, but it's actually polished! Fellow C&V'ers, there is hope.

I could see this looking good on my 620, or any of our repurposed touring/CX bikes, especially if we powder coat or paint them some fun colors.
I hadn't seen the silver GRX before. Thanks for posting! I do like the look of that crankset, but I can't quite accept the rear derailleur. It's just got too many segments.

Coincidentally, I am in the middle of rebuilding my red Gitane with the black GRX crank (46-30) and black 105 5800 components. This bike had black components when it was new, and I think it's going to look really sharp. I'm doing a bit of a parts bin build on it right now, apart from the drivetrain, to see how I like it, but I know what I'm going to use if I do like it. Hopefully I'll like the 5800 shifting better than you. I got it new on a 2015 bike, and I don't remember being dissatisfied then, but I replaced it with Gevenalle pretty shortly after I bought it (because it came on my CX bike and Gevenalle is awesome for CX).

Teaser pic

Old 07-28-22, 02:38 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I hadn't seen the silver GRX before. Thanks for posting! I do like the look of that crankset, but I can't quite accept the rear derailleur. It's just got too many segments.

Coincidentally, I am in the middle of rebuilding my red Gitane with the black GRX crank (46-30) and black 105 5800 components. This bike had black components when it was new, and I think it's going to look really sharp. I'm doing a bit of a parts bin build on it right now, apart from the drivetrain, to see how I like it, but I know what I'm going to use if I do like it. Hopefully I'll like the 5800 shifting better than you. I got it new on a 2015 bike, and I don't remember being dissatisfied then, but I replaced it with Gevenalle pretty shortly after I bought it (because it came on my CX bike and Gevenalle is awesome for CX).

Teaser pic

You're welcome! I understand the too-many-segments thing. I hope you like the 5800 as well. It seems to me to be an issue of how decent or nice are your cables and housings. Pre-Covid, Recycled Cycles ran good/solid Shimano cables and housings. They don't anymore. Prices are up on consumables enough that for a couple bucks more one can go Dura-Ace or decent level Jagwire. Even Jag's Sport stuff is pretty nice. Lol, I'm a big ol "YMMV" seller right now..
Old 07-28-22, 01:29 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I'm so glad touring and commuting don't require the latest but to be honest, what I really wanted was hydraulic shifting. Until that happens I am not going to go new.
Old 07-28-22, 02:47 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I'm so glad touring and commuting don't require the latest but to be honest, what I really wanted was hydraulic shifting. Until that happens I am not going to go new.
Already a thing.
rotoramerica.com

11,12, 13 speed hydraulic shifting.
Old 07-29-22, 09:28 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Already a thing.
rotoramerica.com

11,12, 13 speed hydraulic shifting.
Holy crap.... Tell me why we can't solve world hunger????
Likes For 52telecaster: