Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New wheel/tire recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 06:49 PM
BearCatSafari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Hey all. With spring springing I'm looking at getting my bike tuned up, but it needs some changes. It's an early 90s Schwinn Crosspoint, currently rocking Wobler GTX2 rims and 700cc road tires.

They've recently torn up some old railroads in my county and turned them into gravel trails (small gravel), and a lot of cyclists use them. I'd like to get new wheels and tires I can use on these trails, as I don't think what I've got is appropriate. I should add, I'm about 265 lbs, so that factors in to what I replace them with.

I'm pretty new to all this, so I appreciate any advice on new kit. Budget is $300 and under.
Likes For BearCatSafari:
Old 04-22-24, 07:13 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 240 Posts
First of all, depending on how "road" the tires are, you may be ok. But if they're original, it's time to replace. I've ridden Gatorskins & Gatorskin Hardshells with no problem. They come up to 32c.

Next I'd look at Continental Urban or Taraxum 35c or Pasela Protites in the largest size your bike will fit, plus new tube. That's $100-$125. Get new rim strips $15 for Velox cloth.

Then oil the spoke nipples, tension the wheels and ride until they start popping spokes.

Save a few more dollars while you're having fun starting riding again, and look at Velomine for a set of CR-18 rimmed wheels with formula or Shimano hubs ($175 + cassette) and you're set. Or just get a used pair off ebay.

Last edited by stevel610; 04-22-24 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-22-24, 09:43 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by BearCatSafari
Hey all. With spring springing I'm looking at getting my bike tuned up, but it needs some changes. It's an early 90s Schwinn Crosspoint, currently rocking Wobler GTX2 rims and 700cc road tires.

They've recently torn up some old railroads in my county and turned them into gravel trails (small gravel), and a lot of cyclists use them. I'd like to get new wheels and tires I can use on these trails, as I don't think what I've got is appropriate. I should add, I'm about 265 lbs, so that factors in to what I replace them with.

I'm pretty new to all this, so I appreciate any advice on new kit. Budget is $300 and under.
Why would you need new wheels if they are good with strong spokes and true?

It's already a red flag if you think you need to replace a perfectly good wheelset.

Why not visit a LBS that can explain to you in conversational depth about all their tyres?
Old 04-23-24, 03:24 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 362 Posts

Unless there is something wrong with the existing wheels, I agree with the other posters that there is no reason to get new wheels. Get the widest tires that will fit in your frame and fork and ride the heck out of the bike. Oiling the spoke nipples as suggested is a good idea to make sure your wheels can be easily trued in future.
Old 04-23-24, 03:30 PM
BearCatSafari

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
​​​​​​It's sort of an old wives tale that you should avoid a wide tire on a narrow rim. For light gravel, a 32mm gravel tire should work fine on those rims.

So figure out what size tire will fit in the frame, and start shopping for tires online. In my experience, you can save a ton of money by doing the research yourself and buying online.
When I mentioned replacing, I was of the assumption that I'd need wider wheels for wider/bigger tires. Is that not the case?
Old 04-23-24, 03:36 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 119 Posts
When I mentioned replacing, I was of the assumption that I'd need wider wheels for wider/bigger tires. Is that not the case?
If you're looking at modern hookless rims, yes. But with your old hooked rims, which are pretty wide, a 32 will work with no issues. You could probably use a 35 as well, if it fits in your frame.
Old 04-23-24, 08:02 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,112 Posts
been a while since I got a close look at an early 90’s Schwinn cross - but I believe they were equipped with 700 x 38 tires (?)

Panaracer Gravel King SS (SS semi slick ; not the slick version) in a 700 x 35 or 700 x 38 would be good option (the 700 x 35 GK SS can run big - approx 37 mm installed) … they are available in a brown wall which would look good on the green / tan Crosspoint

( possibly a 2024 Gravel King SS R in 700 x 35 or 40 - ? - but I have not seen the 2024 models yet )

Continental Terra Speed 700 x 40 would be another good option …they run small - so could be around 38 mm installed … this tire is available in tan wall which would look great on the green / tan Crosspoint

Last edited by t2p; 04-23-24 at 08:22 PM.