Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

"downgrading" from electronic shifters

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

"downgrading" from electronic shifters

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 02:22 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,491 Times in 874 Posts
Corporate greed and market manipulation notwithstanding, electronic shifting is pretty nice and I'd happily pay a little extra to get it on my next bike.
I don't really see a downside, other than cost.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 04-29-24, 02:24 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4527 Post(s)
Liked 5,031 Times in 3,110 Posts
Originally Posted by 2muchroad
Sure, but that's not the point.

The point is that R&D resources should be utilized for technological innovation, not the unnecessary and repeated refinements of an already complete technology, in this case electronic shifters.

The reason for this isn't ingenuity or technological progress, but corporate greed. Finding another reason to charge exorbitant sums for that next best thing. Of course you don't have to buy it, but that's not stopping the market from being manipulated in this manner.
Refinement of existing tech is just common sense and a basic engineering principle.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-29-24, 02:28 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8366 Post(s)
Liked 9,217 Times in 4,541 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
A resistance to change, including technological change, is one of those behaviors that makes people less relevant and more frustrated as they age. It signifies an inability to change and grow and is a futile attempt to cling to the past.

​​​​​​

If you want to buy those bikes that you lusted after ten or twenty years ago, aren't they actually a lot more affordable now? Just pick them up for cheap on the second-hand market.
I missed that part of it. When the other poster said they bought the bike they wish they had bought years ago I didn't interpret that as meaning the exact bike. I thought he meant they bought the latest, greatest thing available.

That's what I meant when I said I wish I had picked up some new bikes while I still had a job. Not some used bike, something new. I have used bikes, don't need any more used bikes.

And I'm not really given to bike lust, per se. Or cars, or any other things. I'd just like to freshen up the tools and sell the old ones cheap, or even give them away.
Old 04-29-24, 02:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7082 Post(s)
Liked 11,180 Times in 4,775 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I missed that part of it. When the other poster said they bought the bike they wish they had bought years ago I didn't interpret that as meaning the exact bike. I thought he meant they bought the latest, greatest thing available.

That's what I meant when I said I wish I had picked up some new bikes while I still had a job. Not some used bike, something new. I have used bikes, don't need any more used bikes.

And I'm not really given to bike lust, per se. Or cars, or any other things. I'd just like to freshen up the tools and sell the old ones cheap, or even give them away.
Maybe I misunderstood that post...Maybe the poster will clarify.

Of course, any bike's cost ultimately comes out of savings -- either actual or potential savings. I kind of wish I'd bought nicer stuff when I was younger and in a better position to enjoy it...but now (retired) I actually have more time to ride, even if I'm not as fast, so it's still nice to have good bikes.
Old 04-29-24, 02:38 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4305 Post(s)
Liked 1,383 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikealangelo
I have a '12 venge with ultegra di2 shifters on it, and I think I honestly prefer mechanical shifters.
Why do you prefer them?

Is there an objective advantage to electronic shifters over mechanical?
Of course, there is. (Do some searching to see what people say the advantages are.) There are some disadvantages too.

Fair points. I have put around 100 miles on it so far, which is a decent amount for me. I thought maybe that was long enough to tell, but it sounds like it isn't (and it also sounds like converting to mechanical is trickier than I thought it would be).
100 miles is nothing.

Unless you have a fair amount of experience with mechanical shifting, you can’t really say you prefer it.

People who move to electronic after having lots of experience with mechanic appear to usually prefer the electronic.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-29-24 at 02:47 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-29-24, 02:44 PM
Bikealangelo
Learning the ropes

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Le Tour, 2012 Specialized Venge, Cannondale SuperX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
To clarify to everyone who has asked why I prefer mechanical shifters:
I suppose it's more of a mindset. I like being on the bike with minimal electronics and just going where the road takes me. I don't like that I have to check and make sure that my battery is good to go (though I suppose with mechanical shifters I still had to check it before I headed out). I guess I also feel like I could fix mechanical components easier (especially in the middle of a ride).
Old 04-29-24, 02:45 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by LAJ
It's your bike, do as you like.
Unhelpful.
Old 04-29-24, 02:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3305 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It's not always easy to find parts for older Di2. If something expensive wears out, it might make sense to switch to mechanical shifting rather than spring for current Di2. Otherwise, enjoy it!
Seems plenty of parts are available. My XT Di2 (1x system) failed last year, was causing bad battery drain, even though ot was shifting fine. My LBS saw the error in the shop diagnostic software. I quickly found a replacement for $90 from Jenson, And there’s always E-Bay.
Old 04-29-24, 02:52 PM
njkayaker

To clarify to everyone who has asked why I prefer mechanical shifters:
I suppose it's more of a mindset. I like being on the bike with minimal electronics and just going where the road takes me. I don't like that I have to check and make sure that my battery is good to go (though I suppose with mechanical shifters I still had to check it before I headed out). I guess I also feel like I could fix mechanical components easier (especially in the middle of a ride).
That’s kind of important for people to give you useful advice.

This “mindset” isn’t unusual. Of course, it should have kept you from getting electronic shifting in the first place.

Given the path you chose (getting electronic shifters), I’d suggest you embrace that choice and appreciate it for what it is. Give it a fair shake.

(People tend to like electronic shifting. Dealing with the battery might not be as “bad” as you imagine.)

If you still want to go mechanical, it would be easier to buy a mechanical shifting bike (and sell this one).
Old 04-29-24, 02:53 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8366 Post(s)
Liked 9,217 Times in 4,541 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood that post...Maybe the poster will clarify.

Of course, any bike's cost ultimately comes out of savings -- either actual or potential savings. I kind of wish I'd bought nicer stuff when I was younger and in a better position to enjoy it...but now (retired) I actually have more time to ride, even if I'm not as fast, so it's still nice to have good bikes.
I've been retired for 5 years now. Just turned 70. Would like to get a lightweight hardtail or maybe a gravel-type bike for dirt roads and mild trails. I have an enduro bike for rough stuff.
Never had a full carbon fiber road bike. Would like an endurance style bike with a tall head tube/stack. Wide range cassette. Wouldn't object to electronic shifting but don't mind mechanical. Rim brakes are ok but I love the discs on the mountain bikes I've had.

Hell, if I won the lottery I'd even spring for a new car.
Old 04-29-24, 02:56 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11443 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 2,801 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Unhelpful.
Keep reading.....
Old 04-29-24, 03:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6313 Post(s)
Liked 4,904 Times in 3,379 Posts
It is annoying when the battery gets too low while on a ride and you can't get back into the big front. But I've always been able to make it home with full shifting available on the rear. Even when it took 1½ hours to finish the ride after the battery was too low to shift the front.

However if you get D-fly for your Di2, then you can pair Di2 to your Garmin Edge, Wahoo or other device and see the battery charge along with all sorts of other ways to display what gears you have selected. By ratio, by gear number, by tooth count, and other info as well.

Even though the battery for my 11 speed Di2 will last 3 - 4 months, I usually just charge it every other month. So pick even or odd. If the month number matches, then charge it.
Old 04-29-24, 03:48 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Iride01
It is annoying when the battery gets too low while on a ride and you can't get back into the big front. But I've always been able to make it home with full shifting available on the rear. Even when it took 1½ hours to finish the ride after the battery was too low to shift the front.

However if you get D-fly for your Di2, then you can pair Di2 to your Garmin Edge, Wahoo or other device and see the battery charge along with all sorts of other ways to display what gears you have selected. By ratio, by gear number, by tooth count, and other info as well.

Even though the battery for my 11 speed Di2 will last 3 - 4 months, I usually just charge it every other month. So pick even or odd. If the month number matches, then charge it.
I think the 12sp D/A and Ultegra come with BT connectivity, while it can be easily added to an 11sp group. But even without BT, the battery level is easy to check, and -- as you note -- a full charge lasts a looong time. This fear of a battery dying on a ride is irrational, as a person would have to be incredibly lazy, forgetful, or just plain stupid to let that happen. I mean, if that's a real problem, then you're going to have problems keeping any bike running.
Old 04-29-24, 04:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6313 Post(s)
Liked 4,904 Times in 3,379 Posts
I think the 12sp D/A and Ultegra come with BT connectivity, while it can be easily added to an 11sp group. But even without BT, the battery level is easy to check, and -- as you note -- a full charge lasts a looong time. This fear of a battery dying on a ride is irrational, as a person would have to be incredibly lazy, forgetful, or just plain stupid to let that happen. I mean, if that's a real problem, then you're going to have problems keeping any bike running.
Keeping this in the context of the OP's 2012 Venge, I don't think that bikes version of Di2 has BT or Ant+ connectivity without the D-fly. Or did the original versions of Di2 have that included? I have seen some brands that added the option on the higher tier bikes.

Sure, the fear of a battery dying might be irrational. But so too I think other peoples fear of riding bikes in hot weather is irrational. And all sorts of other fears too, like simply riding in the road or some that won't ride a MUP. But they have that fear. I can only tell them ways they might deal with it.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-29-24, 05:09 PM
Bikealangelo
Learning the ropes

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
That’s kind of important for people to give you useful advice.

This “mindset” isn’t unusual. Of course, it should have kept you from getting electronic shifting in the first place.

Given the path you chose (getting electronic shifters), I’d suggest you embrace that choice and appreciate it for what it is. Give it a fair shake.

(People tend to like electronic shifting. Dealing with the battery might not be as “bad” as you imagine.)

If you still want to go mechanical, it would be easier to buy a mechanical shifting bike (and sell this one).
Yeah, you are definitely right saying that it was an odd choice. I saw it and really liked my old venge (long story, but i had it and then it went away) and this one was in driving distance and in my price range so I thought I would give electronics a try.
Honestly, it isn't bad, per se. I just didn't see the advantages yet.

I appreciate the input from everyone, I will be keeping the current setup for now
Likes For Bikealangelo:
Old 04-29-24, 05:34 PM
PeteHski

Yeah, you are definitely right saying that it was an odd choice. I saw it and really liked my old venge (long story, but i had it and then it went away) and this one was in driving distance and in my price range so I thought I would give electronics a try.
Honestly, it isn't bad, per se. I just didn't see the advantages yet.

I appreciate the input from everyone, I will be keeping the current setup for now
The main advantage in your case is that you don’t need to change anything. Unless you have a problem I would just ride it and charge the battery before a big ride.
Old 04-29-24, 05:46 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The main advantage in your case is that you don’t need to change anything. Unless you have a problem I would just ride it and charge the battery before a big ride.
I used to always charge my Di2 bike to 100% before a big race, but over time I gradually stopped doing that. I don't fill my car with gas when the tank is 3/4 full, so why would I charge my bike's battery when it's at the same level? After all, the bike will go further on a full charge than the car will on a full tank of gas -- and it's a hybrid, so that's quite a distance.

The battery anxiety with electronic shifting is beyond ridiculous.

Bikealangelo hasn't given a single solid reason for preferring a mechanical drivetrain, so the trouble and expense of converting to mechanical seems a bit ridiculous, too.
Old 04-29-24, 07:14 PM
PeteHski

I used to always charge my Di2 bike to 100% before a big race, but over time I gradually stopped doing that. I don't fill my car with gas when the tank is 3/4 full, so why would I charge my bike's battery when it's at the same level? After all, the bike will go further on a full charge than the car will on a full tank of gas -- and it's a hybrid, so that's quite a distance.

Bikealangelo hasn't given a single solid reason for preferring a mechanical drivetrain, so the trouble and expense of converting to mechanical
seems a bit ridiculous, too.
Yeah, I could have just said check the battery level before a big ride. It doesn’t have to be charged to 100%. For max battery longevity you are better off charging to around 80% anyway and not letting it drop below 20% for long periods.
Old 04-29-24, 10:48 PM
2muchroad

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
A resistance to change, including technological change, is one of those behaviors that makes people less relevant and more frustrated as they age. It signifies an inability to change and grow and is a futile attempt to cling to the past.
Correction, a resistance to unnecessary or irrelevant change is the point here.

Change does not equal progress, that's a very important distinction to be made.
Old 04-30-24, 04:15 AM
PeteHski

Correction, a resistance to unnecessary or irrelevant change is the point here.

Change does not equal progress, that's a very important distinction to be made.
You can decide for yourself when you think a technology is “complete” and any further change is unnecessary. But that doesn’t mean you can decide for everyone else too. Your lecture is pointless.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-30-24, 04:39 AM
2muchroad

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
You can decide for yourself when you think a technology is “complete” and any further change is unnecessary. But that doesn’t mean you can decide for everyone else too. Your lecture is pointless.
We don't determine whether a technology is complete, the effectiveness of accomplishing the task it was invented for does that.
Electronic shifters neither improve shifting effectiveness nor efficiency, but simply change the modality of it. As a matter of fact, the requirement of a battery actually makes them less efficient.
By definition, that is a redundant adaptation or distortion of a complete technology for financial gain.
Old 04-30-24, 05:19 AM
PeteHski

We don't determine whether a technology is complete, the effectiveness of accomplishing the task it was invented for does that.
Electronic shifters neither improve shifting effectiveness nor efficiency, but simply change the modality of it. As a matter of fact, the requirement of a battery actually makes them less efficient.
By definition, that is a redundant adaptation or distortion of a complete technology for financial gain.
I was fairly sceptical about the benefits of electronic shifting right up until I eventually tried it for myself 2 years ago. It’s nice to get rid of cables and the ergonomics are a step forward for me. You might be happy with cable actuation and floppy brake levers, but those are history for me.

Underlining your key words like a primary school teacher doesn’t make your argument any more compelling either.
Old 04-30-24, 05:49 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 445 Posts
I have a '12 venge with ultegra di2 shifters on it, and I think I honestly prefer mechanical shifters.
Am I the only one in this situation? Is there an objective advantage to electronic shifters over mechanical?
Are there any objective advantages of electronic vs mechanical? This is a rhetorical question.

Yes, obviously.
Old 04-30-24, 05:52 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 445 Posts

Bikealangelo hasn't given a single solid reason for preferring a mechanical drivetrain, so the trouble and expense of converting to mechanical seems a bit ridiculous, too.
+1. Who needs 1000km+ of range in a single ride?

I'll get that ''well, I ride gran fondosssss back-to-back all the time man and I don't always have access to a charger man so my cables are more reliable man'' answer, I'm pretty sure.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-30-24, 06:02 AM
Bikealangelo
Learning the ropes

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Are there any objective advantages of electronic vs mechanical? This is a rhetorical question.

Yes, obviously.
I assure you this isn't a rhetorical question, I was genuinely looking for answers.
Likes For Bikealangelo:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.