Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

nutrition

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-24, 07:47 AM
RMTBaiden

Bikes: Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
nutrition

What are some nutritional bars or electrolyte packets that everyone recommends? I buy protein bars and sorts, but idk if there is anything better that may even work better. I am just wondering what brands I should purchase.
Old 04-25-24, 10:04 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 360 Posts
Originally Posted by RMTBaiden
What are some nutritional bars or electrolyte packets that everyone recommends? I buy protein bars and sorts, but idk if there is anything better that may even work better. I am just wondering what brands I should purchase.
Don't confuse yourself that these products offer any increment of performance improvement over things like food and salt. Go for taste and convenience. On long rides, I eat salted fig bars (carbs and salt) and salted mixed nuts at the break (protein and good quality fats). They taste good and work just as well as any sports nutrition product on the market. Cheaper too.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 04-25-24, 10:19 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 386 Posts
Nature Valley granola bars (peanut), potato chips, Coca Cola, and water....
Old 04-25-24, 10:28 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Isn't there a training and NUTRITION forum?
Old 04-25-24, 03:03 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 1,221 Posts
Buy some nutrition and some protein bars. Also buy a Snickers. See how closely all the numbers are? Now take a bite of each. Which one do you want to finish, and which one(s) do you want use for practicing a jump shot into the garbage can?

P.S. Snickers are half the price of those "nutrition" bars.
Old 04-25-24, 03:41 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I second the nomination for fig bars. Raced 10 years using them. Worked very well.
Old 04-25-24, 05:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6234 Post(s)
Liked 4,839 Times in 3,336 Posts
Just try out different bars of most anything. When you find what you prefer that's probably going to be it.

Bananas or other fruit whether fresh or dried works well if you prefer it over gels or other bars.

It's better you eat that Snickers bar while cycling than when sitting around doin nothing. But most anything that has most of it's Calories from carbohydrates is usually ideal. Protein is more important after the ride, but a little while riding certainly won't hurt.

Don't go overboard with electrolytes. If you aren't riding hard for a long distance you probably don't need any. And don't think more is better for electrolytes. Too much is worse than none many times. And most things you eat and even drink has them in it whether they advertise that or not.

While you are worried about nutrition while riding, don't forget to hydrate. And if you want you can put all your Calories in your bottles and not have to worry about eating Calories which to me is sometimes a chore on the bike. Drink something, even just water. A gulp or two every 10 - 15 minutes.
Old 04-25-24, 05:23 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 389 Posts
When someone replies with "try google", you can handily permanently ignore that user.
It's not helpful to the user or BF

Your local vitamin shop will have an assortment of electrolyte drops, tablets, and packets.
From, EmergenC, to Trace minerals, to other fancy name brands, and if your timing is right, they have free samples on the weekends.

Cashews.
I used to eat a cashew based bar but I think the company went dirtbag mode and went out of business.

Ya have to try a munch and rule out what doesn't work.

Don't try anything when you are hydrated and full. Try one when you're exhausted.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 04-25-24, 06:02 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4454 Post(s)
Liked 4,920 Times in 3,044 Posts
SIS is a good brand to try. They have a wide range of energy gels, bars and drink mix. Protein bars are better for post ride recovery. Carbs are what you need on the bike.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-25-24, 09:43 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 914 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
SIS is a good brand to try. They have a wide range of energy gels, bars and drink mix. Protein bars are better for post ride recovery. Carbs are what you need on the bike.
SIS is my go-to brand, their gels are very easy to digest and don't give me the issues that some other brands do.
Old 04-25-24, 10:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 5,700 Times in 2,942 Posts
My favorite energy bars are from Scratch Labs. They are made from real food, delicious, easy to digest and just the right size - not large like a Cliff bar. Also use SIS products.

Old 04-26-24, 01:35 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 453 Posts
Whey protein powder that comes in the large tubs. Good for lifting too.
Old 04-26-24, 04:30 AM
Liam_Lucas

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check out brands like Clif Bar, RXBAR, and Nuun for nutritional bars and electrolyte packets. They're widely recommended and offer various options to suit different preferences and needs.
Old 04-26-24, 04:51 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7662 Post(s)
Liked 3,508 Times in 1,850 Posts
I am pretty sure protein powder is useless on a ride---unless you are riding for body-building, which is better done with more load and fewer reps. While riding you need fuel, not rebuilding blocks, of course, each is free to follow his or her own path.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-26-24, 04:53 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Lot of options, but how long are your rides? Miles per day? Do you have any dietary issues?

if your riding 30 miles on a Saturday, versus 3+ 60+ mile days will most definitely have substantial nutritional needs.
Old 04-26-24, 07:31 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10182 Post(s)
Liked 5,881 Times in 3,169 Posts
As others have noted, protein and fat are metabolically useless during exercise and protein actually requires calories and some excess blood flow to the gut to digest. They may taste good, but rarely do so in bar form. Stop for a nice sandwich or a slice of pizza if that's what you want.

Electrolytes are also pointless on the bike, except for sodium in the presence of multi-liter fluid loss and replacement on long, hot rides, but I don't expect anyone to believe that.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 04-26-24 at 07:47 AM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-26-24, 07:43 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11979 Post(s)
Liked 6,687 Times in 3,500 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
Yes there is.

And I can help the OP find it.
See if you can find your way out of this thread. Thanks!
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-26-24, 08:02 AM
RMTBaiden

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
When someone replies with "try google", you can handily permanently ignore that user.
It's not helpful to the user or BF

Your local vitamin shop will have an assortment of electrolyte drops, tablets, and packets.
From, EmergenC, to Trace minerals, to other fancy name brands, and if your timing is right, they have free samples on the weekends.

Cashews.
I used to eat a cashew based bar but I think the company went dirtbag mode and went out of business.

Ya have to try a munch and rule out what doesn't work.

Don't try anything when you are hydrated and full. Try one when you're exhausted.
One of the reasons I come to this forum is because real people can give better more direct answers than I noticed from bike blogs. Those help but they are more broad then specific! Google also has so much information that is kind of hard to find what you are exactly looking for.
Likes For RMTBaiden:
Old 04-26-24, 09:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,679 Times in 7,370 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I second the nomination for fig bars. Raced 10 years using them. Worked very well.
+3. I get them while on tour, especially because they are pretty lite.
Old 04-26-24, 09:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,679 Times in 7,370 Posts
For hard days, Hammer Perpetuem.
Old 04-26-24, 10:08 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 5006 Post(s)
Liked 8,176 Times in 3,868 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
SIS is my go-to brand, their gels are very easy to digest and don't give me the issues that some other brands do.
I'm going to give those a try. I'm on my last box of the now-discontinued citrus flavor Clif Shot gels that have been my favorite for a long time.

For protein bars (which usually get used as "lunch" during gravel races/events), I like Power Bar Protein Plus peanut butter and chocolate flavor. For drink mix in my bottles, I like Skratch Labs High-Carb. I also like Skratch Labs raspberry chews, but I find them less convenient than gels or drink mix for on-bike fuel.
Old 04-26-24, 10:14 AM
RMTBaiden

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm going to give those a try. I'm on my last box of the now-discontinued citrus flavor Clif Shot gels that have been my favorite for a long time.

For protein bars (which usually get used as "lunch" during gravel races/events), I like Power Bar Protein Plus peanut butter and chocolate flavor. For drink mix in my bottles, I like Skratch Labs High-Carb. I also like Skratch Labs raspberry chews, but I find them less convenient than gels or drink mix for on-bike fuel.
I was actually looking at the chews, so I am just going to try everything I guess and see what I like. I was looking for citrus, and the companies had orange but that's not the same as all the citrus flavors hitting the buds at one haha. Obviously they have to discontinue the good flavors. I have seen a bike blogs that Skratch is a very recommended brand, so I will also give some of there products a try. Just figuring out what works with me on the distance I normally travel.
Old 04-26-24, 10:30 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 266 Posts
If I may be so rude as to high jack this thread but it’s not a complete departure…….

Are there different nutrition approaches for different riding disciplines? I’m preparing for The Death Ride in July which is climbing followed by coasting 😁. Would any of you fuel yourselves differently for that than any other event?
Old 04-26-24, 10:31 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I was actually looking at the chews, so I am just going to try everything I guess and see what I like. I was looking for citrus, and the companies had orange but that's not the same as all the citrus flavors hitting the buds at one haha. Obviously they have to discontinue the good flavors. I have seen a bike blogs that Skratch is a very recommended brand, so I will also give some of there products a try. Just figuring out what works with me on the distance I normally travel.
Finding what works for you (flavors and format) is important. So is finding out how your body reacts to those products during hard efforts. There are a lot of options out there.

For local rides of less than 2 hours, I'll take a gel about an hour into the ride, and probably have just plain water in my bottles. For rides of 2-3 hours, I figure a gel every hour (one of those might get subbed for a pack of chews), plus high-carb mix in my bottles. For rides longer than that, I plan for a gel/chews every hour, 2 big bottles of high-carb mix, a hydro pack of plain water, and a protein bar. I also have my bike computer set to notify me every 30 minutes to "EAT!", which means either a gel or a big drink off my bottle. Somewhere in the middle-ish of a long day, I'll stop to eat a protein bar. This plan has worked well for me, and I'll be putting it to use again this Sunday at a gravel race, which I expect to be 5-6 hours of ride time.
Old 04-26-24, 10:35 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
If I may be so rude as to high jack this thread but it’s not a complete departure…….

Are there different nutrition approaches for different riding disciplines? I’m preparing for The Death Ride in July which is climbing followed by coasting 😁. Would any of you fuel yourselves differently for that than any other event?
My approach would be the same as any other long ride/event - to fuel myself well before the ride, and be armed with stuff for steady/regular input of fuel during the ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.