Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hiding cables on Cervelo Caledonia via FSA ACR headset, spacer, and stem/bars?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-24, 11:56 AM
srenton91

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello

I've been very curious about routing the cables internally through my Cervelo Caledonia 105. I've always been told this was impossible. However, I had an interesting conversation with a knowledgable sales rep @ FSA today. I was curious anyways take on this process:

1. Through fsaeasyheadset, I can enter my lower/upper head tube measurements, and have the webpage output an FSA headset that is compatible with my head tube.

2. From there, I can purchase a cone/spacer through FSA that is fitted for the Caledonia.

3. From there, I can purchase either an FSA stem/bar set up OR an integrated bar stem through FSA.

These parts would cost ~$400-500 USD. I dont mind the price, its more of a fun project.

Curious anyones opinion, or personal experience with this.

Thanks all
Old 04-03-24, 12:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6283 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,359 Posts
Steel cables or wire and hydraulic hose?

Steel cables can be more of a issue getting around some of those bends inside with out binding too much. While internally routed stuff makes a bike easy to clean with just a moist rag. I wouldn't want to spend the time and effort making one that isn't one that is. Especially since there's a chance of failure. But if you like the challenge, go for it.

I'd just buy a new bike that's like I want. You too might deserve a new bike.

Welcome to BF.
Old 04-03-24, 12:29 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2274 Post(s)
Liked 3,496 Times in 1,835 Posts
My Cervelo ZFS-5 came like that, including the headset.

I would have preferred that it didn't, but not quite enough to disassemble it.
Old 04-03-24, 02:12 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 707 Posts
Going to need before and after pictures.
OR
It never happened.

Barry

EDIT: and Welcome to Bike Forums !
Old 04-05-24, 06:15 AM
gmphoenix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Following!

Our family is considering a Caledonia purchase and this looked like an interesting project on it (vs. the Caledonia 5)... Briefly chatted with a shop and they offered the same advice, re: the FSA ACR components.

A question I initially missed (and will try to follow-up on) was about replacing the stock Cervelo compression plug in the steerer tube (assuming that's the route to take for the front brake line).

My initial understanding is that the stock plug is bonded in the steerer tube with an epoxy... Was curious if you bumped up against that topic (safely removing the stock plug and replacing it with the FSA ACR plug)?
Old 04-05-24, 09:08 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Originally Posted by gmphoenix
My initial understanding is that the stock plug is bonded in the steerer tube with an epoxy...
Assuming a carbon steerer... If the plug is bonded in place, how do you (the owner) cut the steerer to length and lower the plug after you've purchased the bike.

Are you sure it's bonded ?

Barry

EDIT: It's not bonded, at least according to the Cervelo Retailer Assembly Manual <<Clickable link to Cervelo Manual.
It's the "5" that is bonded, and even that strikes me as weird.
My R5 has the "D" shaped steerer and hidden cables. It uses a "D" shaped expanding plug.

Last edited by Barry2; 04-05-24 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-05-24, 09:29 AM
gmphoenix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh man -- laughing at myself for not doing the "RTFM" thing my darn self Thanks for that (I owe you a beer)!
Likes For gmphoenix:
Old 04-05-24, 09:33 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Do bear in mind that details and equipment do change during the production run of a bike.

Barry