Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Planning to splurging on a custom build- How should I spend my money?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Planning to splurging on a custom build- How should I spend my money?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 10:48 AM
jvse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bakersb
the 721 has better aluminum and is lighter, all for a cheaper price with a more appropriate geometry for street riding.
Overall, i'd go with the precursa or 721. both are solid and affordable choices.

EDIT: Regarding messengers, they're not terrible and will probably suffice for everyday riding. However, I've heard they're prone to stripping (however, my peers can be unreliable resources so this may or may not be true) and are very heavy.

The issue of longevity is not the issue for used cranks. Cranks can often outlive a frameset. You can probably buy a 10+ year old campy record pista crankset and have it ride amazing. The quality difference then comes in the stiffness, weight, and more resilient to problems such as stripping. But you could probably ride messengers your whole life and never know a difference, but finding that little quality difference is the satisfying part of owning high-end cranks.
Interesting, I guess I'll put the 721 on the roster. In regards to leader's frames, does anyone know if their decals can be removed, or are they covered in a clear coat?

Right now, it's between a dolan or leader. While I like dolan's heritage and clean geometry, I'm not sure if it's different enough from my Masi to warrant a completely new build. Looked at the track champion and while it was nice, it was far beyond my reach..

As for the cranks, that really good to know! I never knew that cranksets could last that long, I'll probably go for some sugino 75's then. I also heard that messengers also have a more jagged shape similar to \_/ instead of a smooth U shape, making the pedal feel different.

Outside of my frame, it looks like I'm taking the time to invest on a crankset and wheels for the greatest improvements in regards to performance and such.

So assuming that my frame's going to be 300-350 I still have quite a nice leftover sum to upgrade with [200-300].
My saddle, wheels, frame, and crankset situation is pretty much figured out, what other components do you guys suggest I invest in for the best grams saved to weight value? My guess at the moment is either seatpost or handlebars as they're nearest the contact points. Would switching them out for carbon make for a ride difference that's worth dishing out the money for considering my budget?
Old 09-17-14, 11:16 AM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jvse
Interesting, I guess I'll put the 721 on the roster. In regards to leader's frames, does anyone know if their decals can be removed, or are they covered in a clear coat?

Right now, it's between a dolan or leader. While I like dolan's heritage and clean geometry, I'm not sure if it's different enough from my Masi to warrant a completely new build. Looked at the track champion and while it was nice, it was far beyond my reach..
I know on the 725 the logo is covered in clear. Can't say about the year with the big Leader logo, though I imagine those are too.

I've been riding my 725 for almost 6 months and have no complaints whatsoever on the frame set.

But I agree with others on going with a really good wheel set or crankset right off the bat with a decent frame and upgrade the other parts as you go.
Old 09-17-14, 11:49 AM
Bakersb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In terms of 721 v 725 metal, i remember reading and checking up some time before that the metals were different, with the 721 having a weight advantage and better treated aluminum. This may or may not be true for 2013+ models. My bad if i am incorrect
Old 09-17-14, 11:53 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Pre-2013 Leader 7 Series frames were all made from 6061. For 2013 & 2014, the 721 was made of 7001. There are no new (2015) 721 frames in production yet.
Old 09-17-14, 01:13 PM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now, it's between a dolan or leader. While I like dolan's heritage and clean geometry, I'm not sure if it's different enough from my Masi to warrant a completely new build.
Wut?
Old 09-17-14, 01:21 PM
GhostSS

Bikes: 2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1990 Giant Cadex 980c, 1986 Peugeot PH10LE, 1995 Trek 2120 Carbon ZX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa
I know on the 725 the logo is covered in clear. Can't say about the year with the big Leader logo, though I imagine those are too.

I've been riding my 725 for almost 6 months and have no complaints whatsoever on the frame set.
I own the matte paint 2013 version and the stickers are removable, no clear coat.

Originally Posted by Bakersb
In terms of 721 v 725 metal, i remember reading and checking up some time before that the metals were different, with the 721 having a weight advantage and better treated aluminum. This may or may not be true for 2013+ models. My bad if i am incorrect
Going off of what Scrod said and looking up the difference in the 2, I'll quote another member from back in 2002:

Originally Posted by Yusuf
The 6000 series alloys are primarily made with Magnesium and Silicon. T6 means the material has been solution heat treated then artificialy aged without cold working(ie rolling or folding and pressing).

The 7000 series is alloyed with zinc and doesn't require the extensive heat treatment of the 6000 series.

The 7000 series came later than the 6000 series. It is now the most extensively used alloy due to its greater ease of manufacture.

Both materials can be found at the lower end and the upper end.
It depends more on the frame manufacturer as to the quality of design. Factors such as double butting, weld quality and tube shape come into play here and are being continually developed.
The best guide to quallity I should think is to look at who manufactures the tubing ie, columbus , reynolds etc. alongside the frame manufacturer ie Cannondale, Treck, Look, etc.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-17-14, 01:38 PM
jvse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tubing and geometry of the precursa just looks too similar to my current fixed gear at the moment. I've always wanted a frame with aero tubing, and the leader covers that requirement.

As for the heritage, it was brought to my knowledge that Dolan is one of the most common track frames in europe, leading me to believe that it's held in high regard. Although it may not be old as Bianchi, Colnago, etc, it does have a better reputation than leader. However, I'm just a sucker that that tubing, what can I say?

I was looking around for some leaders and I really dig the raw 725 frames, but they're nowhere to be found...
Old 09-17-14, 02:44 PM
ketsana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To get to your weigh range, your gonna need lighter wheels. The owner of wabi told me he has been experimenting with 20/24 spoke counts and they have held up fine for him. If they are fine for road bikes and your not too rough on the wheels, I don't see the problem.
Old 09-17-14, 02:44 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by GhostSS
I own the matte paint 2013 version and the stickers are removable, no clear coat.
Fron mid-2013 on, the decals are not removable.
Old 09-18-14, 04:31 AM
bmontgomery87

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess at the moment is either seatpost or handlebars as they're nearest the contact points. Would switching them out for carbon make for a ride difference that's worth dishing out the money for considering my budget?

Not unless you're at an elite level on the track.
People who ride on the street and start buying loads of carbon just need to learn to ride their bikes. Saving 100 grams with carbon handlebars doesn't make you any faster up the hill if you're out of shape and ate McDonalds last night.

Weight weenies suck.
Old 09-18-14, 06:42 AM
Flatulentfox

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87
Not unless you're at an elite level on the track.
People who ride on the street and start buying loads of carbon just need to learn to ride their bikes. Saving 100 grams with carbon handlebars doesn't make you any faster up the hill if you're out of shape and ate McDonalds last night.

Weight weenies suck.
With handle bars and forks, it can be more about comfort than weight.
Old 09-18-14, 07:22 AM
bmontgomery87

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatulentfox
With handle bars and forks, it can be more about comfort than weight.

Fair enough. I do enjoy my carbon fork. I think people just go overboard with the weight concerns.
Old 09-18-14, 07:34 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87
Fair enough. I do enjoy my carbon fork. I think people just go overboard with the weight concerns.
Agreed. It's far more important to focus on the proper colorway.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 09-18-14 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-18-14, 07:36 AM
jvse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well of course, we all have our own reasons when it comes to spending money on things like carbon, etc. Part of the fun in planning out this project is to make a bike as light as possible given my constraints, and I do have quite a bit left over in my planned budget.

All things considered, this weight weenie stuff is pretty fun when it comes to planning a new build.

Since it seems that carbon handlebars seem to affect ride feel more, I might just go with carbon or a nicer pursuit bar, I'm not quite sure yet. I also talked to Richard of Wabi cycles and he said that the wheels with the 24/20 spoke count were quite sturdy, and would weigh in at around 1600.

Last edited by jvse; 09-18-14 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-18-14, 09:28 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tejanotrackie
agreed. It's far more important that your bike match your couch.
ftfy
Old 09-18-14, 10:35 PM
Tman1965

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You want to go light?
Find a Jamis Sonik from 2010 or 2011: 14.75lbs
They were a bargain: American Classic 420 Aero Track wheel set, FSA Carbon cranks, Deda stem and bar

The newer ones have crappy components and weigh 17lbs.
Though the frame is the same, light and you can race it on the velodrome.
Old 09-19-14, 08:41 AM
ketsana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow good point. I'm not sure a leader can build up to OP s goal. I'm staying tuned though because I like the price of the 721 frame.
Old 09-19-14, 08:43 AM
ketsana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, why would you want to remove the decals? I've never seen one here in Ottawa so the leader name itself would be rare and sort of cool.
Old 09-20-14, 10:15 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
sounds like a fun project
but i take issue with the op building a fixie that is akin to a sports car

fixies are more similar to drag racers imho
purpose built for a particular type of speed

maybe an even better correlation
is between fixies
and nascar stock cars
fewer gears and simpler
best for use on a banked oval

sports cars have more gears
not less
so
your cannondale is already a sports car

anyhoo
post pictures of your new ride when it is done

it sounds like an awesome project
Old 09-20-14, 02:17 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked 3,150 Times in 1,658 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier

is between fixies
and nascar stock cars
fewer gears and simpler

not less
so

anyhoo

what the ****?
Old 09-20-14, 02:48 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier

is between fixies
and nascar stock cars
fewer gears and simpler

not less
so

anyhoo

This supports my contention that post whorin....er...a high post count ...should in no way be considered an indication of credibility
Old 09-20-14, 03:00 PM
GENESTARWIND

Bikes: purty blue undefeated II 57cm

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
if you want a custom build without the headaches of needing specialty tools to assemble or know if youre installing something wrong or cross thread, over torque, strip.

why not try Factory Five: Custom Fixed Gear Bikes and Online Store
they offer a few quality frames and some decent components to pick from.
Old 09-20-14, 04:16 PM
jvse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The F550s look pretty nice, but I've had my heart set on a complete custom build for a while. I think I've collected enough tools/knowledge throughout my years of assembling/disassembling my fixed gear. I really like the cost/weight calculator though, that's awesome!

I looked around for some leader 725's with no decals on the downtube and there seems to be only one red one that's 53cm. Sent the company a message inquiring about any future plans for making 725s without those decals, hopefully they respond!
Old 09-21-14, 08:52 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

I'll respond for them - Leader will not be making any more frames without decals.
Old 09-22-14, 12:59 PM
jvse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agh, so I'm looking around and the decal-less leader than I want is only available in 51cm... I'm 5'10.5" with a 31" inseam. Do you think that a seatpost with setback and a longer stem would make up for the tighter fit? As much as I want this frame, it'd be pointless to buy it if it doesn't fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.