Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best gear for riding in rain: jacket, socks etc.?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best gear for riding in rain: jacket, socks etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 07:50 PM
basscadet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
We had nearly 2 weeks of rain here in the warm June weather and I honestly started to find it enjoyable to ride in the rain. Had my Jabra headphones on and my iPhone 12, both got absolutely soaked and kept working just fine. My shoes were so wet that I could see water soaking out through the airholes with each compression of the pedal. Kinda funny. . Just make sure you use wet lube!
Old 07-14-21, 11:44 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
A breathable, waterproof, and light vest is a good idea to keep your core dry, and you can open up the zipper for more ventilation.

I haven't found a workable solution for wet feet yet, and I've tried many things. Even if you wear waterproof shoe covers, the rain will enter your shoes your legs. There is no solution for this unless you want to be wearing waterproof tights that go over the top of your shoe covers.

A pair of SPD sandals might be the ticket for rain rides.

A shower cap, or waterproof helmet cover works well to keep rain off your head and face, and especially if you haven't washed your helmet in a while. You'll appreciate the salt not washing down into your eyes.
Water proof socks, like sealskinz.
Old 07-15-21, 05:25 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The following assumes I am starting the ride in the rain and it is cold or long enough to require some protection.

I have a Shower's Pass Elite rain jacket and a Goretex Shakedry. Both are good. Breathability is relative. Do you want cold and wet or warm and wet. I usually just bring the Shower's pass in the summer and ride with wool socks.

I use a Shower's Pass helmet cover and usually have it with me if temperatures are low enough.

I have a Shower's Pass Elite rain pants but almost never use them, relying instead on merino wool or Yak

Socks are merino wool or if really bad out, I use Sealskins "water proof" socks, they are good for a couple hours especially if the shoes are covered. Almost impossible to keep feet dry on long rides when raining. Fenders help but I don't use them

Hands are usually light merino wool or some sealskin gloves.

Obviously, eyewear helps in the rain. Replaceable clear lenses.
Old 07-16-21, 06:12 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Water proof socks, like sealskinz.
Nah. How do you keep water from dripping down your leg and into your socks unless there's a water tight seal between the top of your socks and your leg?