Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Old Chain Breaker?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old Chain Breaker?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-23, 07:17 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3560 Post(s)
Liked 2,978 Times in 1,801 Posts
Old Chain Breaker?

Back in the late 1980s at Agoura Schwinn, we got a new style chain breaker. It was nothing like the hand-held twist type - it was sort-of like a small hedge trimmer, with two arms. You placed the chain in position at the end, squeezed the arms together, and bam! The rivet was easily pushed out the proper amount. Very simple to use with one motion.

Any old wrenches remember such a chain breaker? I haven't been able to locate one on-line (after spending many minutes looking ). Just curious who that manufacturer was, and why such a design doesn't seem to be available today.
Old 05-04-23, 07:58 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked 1,083 Times in 755 Posts
Unior still makes one. Chain rivet pliers (uniortools.com) There is/was at least one other company that makes them but can't remember who that is.
Old 05-04-23, 08:07 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Unior still makes one. Chain rivet pliers (uniortools.com) There is/was at least one other company that makes them but can't remember who that is.
That isn't it, but man, it looks like Unior makes some outstanding tools! Thanks for the link--I have to go browse now...
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-04-23, 08:13 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
chain breaker park ct-2 plier type
Likes For coupster:
Old 05-04-23, 08:27 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by coupster
chain breaker park ct-2 plier type
That might be it. I can't remember for certain, but I want to say it had blue rubber grips. I'll have to find an image.

EDIT: Yep, that's the one. Pricier than I would have thought! Park CT-2 That thing was a great design, and made removing chains a breeze. Wonder why it was discontinued?

Last edited by smd4; 05-04-23 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-04-23, 05:21 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3601 Post(s)
Liked 3,428 Times in 1,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
VAR still makes the #303 chain pliers. Gian Robert also made a chain pliers, and happens to use the same replacement pin as the VAR #303. Park made the CT-2 chain pliers, which had an interesting feature in that the stroke of the pin could be adjusted for different width chains. Both the CT-2 and the Gian Robert tool have been out of production for many years, but can still turn up on the used market.

Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-04-23, 05:23 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
Yep, our shop had a few of those. As chains became narrower, the tool pushed the pin out too far. With the advent of the HG pin chains from Shimano that tool became unnecessary as rejoining the chain requires a HG pin, the old pin cannot be reused, or at least should not be reused. Campagnolo also has a pin remover like this for their chains.