Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Single Speed versus Geare

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Single Speed versus Geare

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 08:31 PM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDL
No, but rain and road grime create a most tenacious & viscous goop that chews cogs like liquid hot magma.
Yes they do. And on a fixxie/SS, all of your cogs are being chewed all the time. On a multi gear bike, you spread it out some.

Now, I do admit to being quite the weather weenie. If I rode in slop, well, I guess I'd just clean things more often. No way in hell I'm grinding the hill I gotta deal with on a SS. The grinding's bad enough on a roadie when you're old fat dude.
Old 05-29-09, 08:54 PM
SSBully
HAMMER DOWN

Bikes: Sold '08 Jamis Coda Comp, building a Leader 720TR. I know, let the hating begin!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trekker pete
Yes they do. And on a fixxie/SS, all of your cogs are being chewed all the time. On a multi gear bike, you spread it out some.

Now, I do admit to being quite the weather weenie. If I rode in slop, well, I guess I'd just clean things more often. No way in hell I'm grinding the hill I gotta deal with on a SS. The grinding's bad enough on a roadie when you're old fat dude.
Too bad on a geared bike, that same goop is chewing up rear derailleur pulleys, and an entire gear stack, as well as, a chain and an double or triple crankset. Just a little more expensive to replace.
Old 05-29-09, 09:21 PM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
Single speed is a bit pointless IMHO.
Fixed on the other hand is a blast.
+1

Riding a fixed bike is a blast. It's more physically taxing though. It really punishes you when you try to take it easy unless you simply gear it really low.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-testimonial.html
Old 05-29-09, 09:39 PM
woodenidol

Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Schwinn Tempo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Without a doubt its easier to clean a single. My single always is cleaner than my geared.

As far as single vs fixed, I hate fixed. Besides, the most fun on a bike is coasting, why would you deprive yourself of that? smile.
Old 05-29-09, 09:51 PM
Mayday328

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Single speed is a bit pointless IMHO.
Fixed on the other hand is a blast.
I enjoy coasting and brakes. Therefore, a single speed makes sense.
Old 05-29-09, 09:55 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
As would a geared bike.
Old 05-29-09, 10:23 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am an IGH fan. Must be as I have six of them. Advantages are a single chainline and minimal maintenance with the convenience of gears for hills. A few percent less efficient overall per published data but I am not worried about that personally. I do not need to bust a gut on hillls with the IGH installed. IGH sprockets also wear a lot slower than casette sprockets due to wider cogs and not having the wierd tooth forms developed to aid in derailleur shifting. If worried about front chainring wear Surly offers stainless steel chainrings for SS/FG/IGH use. Overall cleaning is equivalent to a single speed too.

The main disadvantage IMO is that when the IGH requires service finding an LBS that can handle it can be difficult in many areas of the country. IGH's do require service occasionally, depending on use, just as SS/FG rear hubs do. No bike is truly maintenance free if you want it to last.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 05-30-09, 06:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,608 Times in 2,357 Posts
u want 1 speed? don't shift
Old 05-30-09, 06:27 AM
alfred mcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agentxcell
I usually only switch between 2 or 3 gears anyhow. The only time I use more than that are on trails or longer rides.
Same here. My city commuting "mountain bike" is essentially a 4 speed that can go down stairs, through parks, and through ditches. I rarely use the 42 or 22 rings or the lowest and highest cogs. Actually, come to think of it, I have never used the lowest and highest cogs.

I agree with the previous comments. Leave your bike in 1 gear for a week and decide from there.
Old 05-30-09, 08:10 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
I believe it all comes down to personal preference. I have both a singlespeed and geared bikes.To be honest with everybody, my singlespeed gets ridden the most and it has become my favorite bike. I have it set up for my riding style, and area that I live, I can climb every hill along my route, and also get enough speed on the flats to keep up in the traffic.
Old 05-30-09, 10:23 AM
DanMach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm

The only real question you should ask yourself is "Why not singlespeed?", and I think you will shortly realize there isn't a good answer to that question besides "I'm lazy".
Old 05-30-09, 10:29 AM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanMach
The only real question you should ask yourself is "Why not singlespeed?", and I think you will shortly realize there isn't a good answer to that question besides "I'm lazy".
How 'bout "I'm lazy and I took physics in high school"?
Old 05-30-09, 10:38 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I assume that is cancelled out or at least moderated because on a derailer bike your chainline is pretty much always at some weird angle (further permuted through the derailers), vs a clean straight chainline of SSFG (net of chain tensioner if required)

I also am a huge fan of coasting.
Old 05-30-09, 10:40 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by woodenidol
Without a doubt its easier to clean a single. My single always is cleaner than my geared.

As far as single vs fixed, I hate fixed. Besides, the most fun on a bike is coasting, why would you deprive yourself of that? smile.
"Coasting is overrated." -- Sheldon Brown

(He was right.)
Old 05-30-09, 03:42 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am a huge fan of coasting when descending a steep climb on my geared road bike. My commute does not have any 20% grades. I can handle spinning away while descending a 6% grade.
My top speeds while commuting are in the mid 20s. If you can't spin a fixed gear in that speed range you need to work on your legs. My max speed on a FG is 32 mph. With my gearing that translates to a cadence of 150+. I found that mildly irritating.
I have met others that have hit the 200s cadence wise.
Old 05-30-09, 05:06 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I am a huge fan of coasting when descending a steep climb on my geared road bike. My commute does not have any 20% grades. I can handle spinning away while descending a 6% grade.
My top speeds while commuting are in the mid 20s. If you can't spin a fixed gear in that speed range you need to work on your legs. My max speed on a FG is 32 mph. With my gearing that translates to a cadence of 150+. I found that mildly irritating.
No one said there'd be math.
Old 05-30-09, 06:19 PM
SSBully
HAMMER DOWN

Bikes: Sold '08 Jamis Coda Comp, building a Leader 720TR. I know, let the hating begin!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How 'bout "I'm lazy and I took physics in high school"?
This I've got to hear. I know you don't plan on trying to use physics to prove your theory that a geared bike is more efficient and lower maintenance than a FG/SS.
Old 05-30-09, 06:44 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSBully
This I've got to hear. I know you don't plan on trying to use physics to prove your theory that a geared bike is more efficient and lower maintenance than a FG/SS.
Depends on your definition of efficiency. Per Bicycling Science published by MIT Press each rider has a cadence and power output range at which they are most efficient. Gearing of some sort provides the ability to stay in the rider's most efficient power output and cadence range most of the time.

If SS/FG bikes were the most efficient from the rider's standpoint then they would still be used in races such as the Tour de France and other road competitions.

I do agree that the SS/FG requires less maintenance but if it increases riding time and effort more than the maintenance time savings so what.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 05-30-09, 07:14 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Would have thought denver had more hills. Obviously I've never been there.

Coming down my previous "big hill" right by my house I would hit mid 30's daily and I saw 38.1 as my max. It was actually a mile and a half of slight downhill with a 1/8 mile steep drop at the end.

My current route is going to give me about eight similar climbs. I just got through re-assembling the bike though. I've decided that I at least need to try it. If I can't do it, I guess the bike needs to go - although I'm not sure I can bring myself to part with it.
Old 05-30-09, 07:19 PM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tatfiend
Depends on your definition of efficiency. Per Bicycling Science published by MIT Press each rider has a cadence and power output range at which they are most efficient. Gearing of some sort provides the ability to stay in the rider's most efficient power output and cadence range most of the time.

If SS/FG bikes were the most efficient from the rider's standpoint then they would still be used in races such as the Tour de France and other road competitions.

I do agree that the SS/FG requires less maintenance but if it increases riding time and effort more than the maintenance time savings so what.
What ^^^^^ said.

A geared bike allows you to keep a good cadence going uphill and keeps you from running out of revs on a downhill.

As I said earlier, if you ride very flat ground with little wind (I wanna know where this magical place is) I will go so far as to say that a SS is more efficient.

Can't argue the added maintenance. Just don't think it's that big a deal.
Old 05-30-09, 07:20 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They both have their positives, and negatives. You can take a stand on either side of the rift between the gearheads and the SSFG crowd, but ultimately, neither side has all their ducks in a row, and neither is wrong.

If you want a good workout, both styles offer something. If you want something that can be used for more vicarious activities, both of them will work.

It's up to you, nothing anybody says on the interweb should dictate how you fund your addiction, in the end, just have at least 1 wheel and a human being-powered motor and you'll find nirvana.
Old 05-30-09, 07:23 PM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was nirvana a hipster band? Probably, until they went and sold out to the man and made bazillions.
Old 05-30-09, 07:33 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was nirvana a hipster band? Probably, until they went and sold out to the man and made bazillions.
Meh, I'm the furthest thing from a hipster, frankly. Or by saying that does that convey I am a hipster?

Holy **** the hipster flu is stupid.
Old 05-30-09, 07:37 PM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kinda like the old school 50s hipsters with the berets. They had much better taste in music than neohipster dude.
Old 05-30-09, 08:02 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since when is commuting about maximum efficiency?

Single speeds are simple to ride, and simple to maintain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.