Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How much weight is a road bike built to handle?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How much weight is a road bike built to handle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 08:50 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
There must be a secret desire to ban "Fred's" and "Fatties" from road bikes here...

I mean seriously...suggestions for a touring bike? What is wrong with helping a guy out in making a lightweight road racing bike feasible?

Geesh!

90% of my ride buddies - on the few occasions I go out for an all day ride - are "fatties" - who just so happen to love nice road bikes and a fast decent downhill after they've earned the hill.

One owns a couple dozen rode bikes including Gios, Miele, Poliaghi, and the GT's from the mid-90s. His Poliaghi is his favorite ride, the Gios the nicest to look at...most are Super Record or newer Record equipped. The key for him is to go with double-walled double-eyeleted rims with 14/15/14 or straight 14 spokes - with myself doing the builds and getting the tension right. 32 holes works just fine.

Try to be a little more encouraging folks...

=8-)
Old 06-01-09, 03:16 PM
dwr1961

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Panthers007;9013470 ...So I bought some Mavic A719 rims, Shimano Ultegra hubs, and DT double-butted spokes. My build was/is 32-spoke X3 and laced. MUCH better![/QUOTE]

Yes! Get a set like these and you will not have a problem.

Alternatively, you can buy a cyclocross frame, mount a set of "29'er" wheels on it and be bulletproof...

I weigh 195 and have busted my share of rear spokes - so this is the voice of experience speaking .
Old 06-01-09, 06:34 PM
SSBully
HAMMER DOWN

Bikes: Sold '08 Jamis Coda Comp, building a Leader 720TR. I know, let the hating begin!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
There must be a secret desire to ban "Fred's" and "Fatties" from road bikes here...

I mean seriously...suggestions for a touring bike? What is wrong with helping a guy out in making a lightweight road racing bike feasible?

Geesh!

90% of my ride buddies - on the few occasions I go out for an all day ride - are "fatties" - who just so happen to love nice road bikes and a fast decent downhill after they've earned the hill.

One owns a couple dozen rode bikes including Gios, Miele, Poliaghi, and the GT's from the mid-90s. His Poliaghi is his favorite ride, the Gios the nicest to look at...most are Super Record or newer Record equipped. The key for him is to go with double-walled double-eyeleted rims with 14/15/14 or straight 14 spokes - with myself doing the builds and getting the tension right. 32 holes works just fine.

Try to be a little more encouraging folks...

=8-)
x2! It helps to know how to ride "lightly", or unweight the proper wheel before impact though. I agree that you can have light and durable and be a clyde, but the wheel gestapo will tell you no way! You can only ride heavy 36h wheels. Your budies wheels will last because a competent human put the time into them to make sure they were right before they were ridden.
Old 06-01-09, 07:54 PM
dwr1961

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure it is possible for a 20-spoke wheel to be strong and durable. I also don't see the point in tempting fate by riding a set if I'm well into Clydesdale territory. The weight savings is minimal and the added cost is (usually) significant.

I don't mean any disrespect here, but the only reason to run a lightweight wheel is to get the responsiveness needed to accelerate with the bunch and to climb at race speeds. A Clyde's going to have a difficult time with these issues - with or without low spoke-count hoops...

Ever seen a 20-count wheel with a busted spoke? It's not going anywhere. This is truly an area where the risk vs. return is not worth it. I'd never advise a big guy to ride a low-count wheel unless I was the guy building it and was willing to stand behind my build. Most of these "sexy" wheels are cranked out in a factory - and they don't need a heavy rider to damage them: One pothole, or one mishap is all it takes.

Unless someone is paying you to race it is best to be cautious where your safety is involved.
Old 06-01-09, 08:10 PM
SSBully
HAMMER DOWN

Bikes: Sold '08 Jamis Coda Comp, building a Leader 720TR. I know, let the hating begin!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwr1961
I'm sure it is possible for a 20-spoke wheel to be strong and durable. I also don't see the point in tempting fate by riding a set if I'm well into Clydesdale territory. The weight savings is minimal and the added cost is (usually) significant.

I don't mean any disrespect here, but the only reason to run a lightweight wheel is to get the responsiveness needed to accelerate with the bunch and to climb at race speeds. A Clyde's going to have a difficult time with these issues - with or without low spoke-count hoops...

Ever seen a 20-count wheel with a busted spoke? It's not going anywhere. This is truly an area where the risk vs. return is not worth it. I'd never advise a big guy to ride a low-count wheel unless I was the guy building it and was willing to stand behind my build. Most of these "sexy" wheels are cranked out in a factory - and they don't need a heavy rider to damage them: One pothole, or one mishap is all it takes.

Unless someone is paying you to race it is best to be cautious where your safety is involved.
Point well made.
Old 06-01-09, 08:13 PM
Mr Danw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You are safe for most bikes at your current weight. Walmart has a Schwinn road bike with a "lawyer limit" of 275#
Old 06-01-09, 08:30 PM
SSBully
HAMMER DOWN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Danw
Walmart has a Schwinn road bike with a "lawyer limit" of 275#
Complete with a host of parts that will grenade on your first ride, or shortly thereafter!
Old 06-01-09, 08:58 PM
Mr Danw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK a bicycle shaped object
Old 06-01-09, 09:11 PM
SSBully
HAMMER DOWN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Danw
OK a bicycle shaped object
Old 06-02-09, 10:30 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The OP seems to have disappeared.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-02-09, 10:51 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,009 Times in 1,632 Posts
The Clydesdale sub-forum is a much better place to get this kind of information since the people there can actually speak from experience - only a few here can say the same.

https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...ysprune=&f=248
Old 06-02-09, 06:14 PM
FLYcrash

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aeiadart
Hey guys

I was wondering if any1 had any insight on this topic, i was told that road bike frames built in the late 70's and 80's were built to tolerate up to 510 pounds. I just want to know because i am considering spending around 1000 dollars on a new bike and i want to know that it can handle my weight, im about 6'1 235-240 pounds. Does anybody know? Im thinking about getting something like thishttps://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1196192848.html

thanks
Hi!

Fit is critical. Make sure that the bike feels good when you test ride it.

+1 on the comments to spend on good wheels. Have a friend or mechanic true/tension them up nicely if you can't do it yourself. I personally err on the side of high spoke counts; my nice bike (a light touring bike) has 36 spokes front and rear, and I weigh 140. The wheels with fewer spokes will probably work, but I like the idea that the wheel won't be unrideable if a little something goes wrong. It emboldens me to venture farther from home. Clearance for fat tires is something I prefer for the same reason. That bike has 33mm tires.

Also, take all of the performance-oriented bike hype with a grain of salt. Any bike that fits well, is mechanically sound, and allows a riding position that gets you out of the wind (e.g. drop bars) is plenty for anything but competition. Again, my nice bike is steel with heavy components chosen for durability over weight. It is rather heavy compared to some of my friends' "racing" bikes, and I don't suffer for it on rides.

In the ~$1000 range, I often recommend Surly's offerings to my friends.

Best of luck!

Last edited by FLYcrash; 06-02-09 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-02-09, 06:46 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,009 Times in 1,632 Posts
Originally Posted by froze
Ever wonder why most tandems use AT LEAST 36 spokes? Of course not because again your (sic) a poser.

Old 06-02-09, 07:38 PM
norwood
GO BIG RED

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Hang in there, someday you'll understand "most".

The comment was "Ever wonder why most tandems use AT LEAST 36 spokes?"

Your photo proves that not ALL tandems use at least 36 spokes. There's almost always exceptions to everthing. BTW, one broken spoke and that tandem becomes unrideable. And broken spokes aren't always weight related. The odd stick, or trash, or something solid kicked up into the spokes can occassionally break them.
Old 06-02-09, 08:45 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
I am your size. 6 ft 235. I ride cannondale CAAD7 that I have had for 5 years. I agree with suggestions that wheels are the issue and that the bike you posted is too small. I have 58cm but test ride some to ensure the proper fit. 36hole 3x wheels have served me well. The recs about getting 28mm tires is simply not true. The issue is air pressure. get tires that can take 120psi or better and you will have no problem with pinches (assuming you keep them inflated) going as narrow as 23mm (I have been riding 23mm vredestein fortezzas witout issue -- no flats, comfortable ride). That said, 25mm will make the ride a bit more comfy without sacrificng much speed.
Old 06-02-09, 09:52 PM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aeiadart
Hey guys

I was wondering if any1 had any insight on this topic, i was told that road bike frames built in the late 70's and 80's were built to tolerate up to 510 pounds. I just want to know because i am considering spending around 1000 dollars on a new bike and i want to know that it can handle my weight, im about 6'1 235-240 pounds. Does anybody know? Im thinking about getting something like thishttps://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1196192848.html

thanks
I'm not qualified enough to answer your question, but that is a LOT of money for a CAAD4. I'd reconsider, if I were you.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 06-02-09, 09:56 PM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
frame and wheels....

When I got my bike I had been riding a Peugeot 10 speed for over 20 years and wanted something better, and that would fit. A custom frame and forks by Aarvon Stacey was (is still) quite robust. The wheels were built on never-laced PW hubs: 48 spokes on sun Rhyno-Lite rims. 26" wheels with 4X spokes are stronger than the 700C wheels. Man is the bike strong. Cost a bit, but undestructable in normal use YMMV.
Old 06-03-09, 03:04 AM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SSBully
I guess if you repeat something enough, people will start to believe it, and the more people that believe it, the closer it becomes to being truth. Kinda like Santa Clause and the easter bunny.

If you want to run crappy wheels, made from crappy components, and built by a machine, then yes, 36h will help you to hedge your bets against breakeage. Guess who's wheels haven't had to be trued once since being built 2 seasons ago.....MINE! Guess who hasn't broke a single spoke......ME! Guess who's a Clyde riding on some of the worst roads in the country, daily........ME!

However, if you run a wheel made with quality components, handbuilt by a competent wheelsmith, properly relieved/trued/tensioned, then you don't need a 36h minimum wheel. .
Wow, welcome to the world of no freedom of speech. I make mention that the above quote is the most ignorant statement I've heard all year on this forum, and that for the poster thinking that 36 spoke wheels are all cheap crappy wheels was also ignorant and the poster had to be poser and this fricken BikeForum deletes it!!!!!

And Bike Forum janitor, I didn't threaten the guy, I didn't call him a name except for posing as a cyclist, which if you read his post you would agree with me!!!

Anyway SSBULLY; why don't you E-Mail Peter White at: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Wheels.asp and tell him what you think of his "cheap crappy" 36 spoke wheels he makes. By the way, he makes the best wheels in the industry and is the foremost custom wheel builder in the world. I'm sure Peter would enjoy a good laugh, doubt though he would bother even answering your silly remarks!!!!
Old 06-03-09, 06:21 AM
SSBully
HAMMER DOWN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by froze
Wow, welcome to the world of no freedom of speech. I make mention that the above quote is the most ignorant statement I've heard all year on this forum, and that for the poster thinking that 36 spoke wheels are all cheap crappy wheels was also ignorant and the poster had to be poser and this fricken BikeForum deletes it!!!!!

And Bike Forum janitor, I didn't threaten the guy, I didn't call him a name except for posing as a cyclist, which if you read his post you would agree with me!!!

Anyway SSBULLY; why don't you E-Mail Peter White at: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Wheels.asp and tell him what you think of his "cheap crappy" 36 spoke wheels he makes. By the way, he makes the best wheels in the industry and is the foremost custom wheel builder in the world. I'm sure Peter would enjoy a good laugh, doubt though he would bother even answering your silly remarks!!!!
Again, you're too stupid to read a statement and then comprehend it. If you run crappy components in your wheel build, then, yes, 36h wheels will take mor spoke breakage and abuse before becoming unsafe/unridable. Now quit calling me ignorant when it's clear that you are projecting. Does your mother know that you interupt when the grownups are talking?
Old 06-03-09, 06:47 AM
GeoLes
Black La Lane

Bikes: EPX 303 (You probably never heard of it)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to disagree guys, but I am a 6'4" 240lbs clydsedale and I ride a carbon frame with Mavic Cosmos 28-spoke radial front and 32-spoke 1-cross rear, 23c wheels. I have been riding this particularly bike for the last 8 years. I do 2 - 3 metric centuries a year on this bike on roads varying from smooth to rough. I have had the rear wheel trued once in the last 8 years with absolutely no problem with the front radial wheel. While these are light wheels, they are by no means ultra light. I can appreciate the fact that you can go heaviier on the spoke count for safety sake. I guess I am the exception to the rule.
Old 06-03-09, 10:35 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I have a set of Peter White-built wheels. I specified 36-spoke X3 laced. They are superb! Spoke-tension is symmetrical and even. Perfectly trued. And have not needed even a tweek. Peter is a master of his craft.
Old 06-03-09, 10:42 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Let's bring the conflict level down here, and accept that different jobs take different hammers, if you'll pardon the metaphor.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-03-09, 10:57 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I run between 230-250lbs and have had zero problems with the 3yr old hand built 32 spoke Fusions on my road, ss and xc bikes. Can't say the same for some of the cheaper wheels like DC19s and such that come stock on many lower-end bikes.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-04-09, 02:32 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SSBully
Again, you're too stupid to read a statement and then comprehend it. If you run crappy components in your wheel build, then, yes, 36h wheels will take mor spoke breakage and abuse before becoming unsafe/unridable. Now quit calling me ignorant when it's clear that you are projecting. Does your mother know that you interupt when the grownups are talking?
Quit calling you ignorant? Ya gotta be kidding? And I always interupted grownups when they were talking, so there!!!

So let see if I've got this right from you. Crappy components on a 36 wheel will cause breakage of the wheel, but if those same crappy components are on a low spoke wheel that's ok?

I would rather have crappy components on a 36 hole rim then on a 20 spoke rim...why's that you scream?Because if a crappy spoke breaks on a 20 spoke rim I'm going down or at least walking home, if a crappy spoke breaks on a 36er at least I could still ride it home.

You logic is very poor at best. Even a cheap crappy 36 spoke rim will way out last a mediocre low spoke rim. So again your ignorant...at least on this subject.

Calling you ignorant doesn't make you stupid, nor means I was calling you stupid. Ignorant means you don't know enough about the subject your discussing, it doesn't mean your ignorant or stupid in all things. So let's put this in it's proper prospective...your ignorant on this subject. If you want to gain some information on this see the Peter White site I gave you, he has some information on that site about this stuff, and he's even written world reknown books on wheels and their construction.
Old 06-04-09, 02:45 PM
froze
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoLes
Sorry to disagree guys, but I am a 6'4" 240lbs clydsedale and I ride a carbon frame with Mavic Cosmos 28-spoke radial front and 32-spoke 1-cross rear, 23c wheels. I have been riding this particularly bike for the last 8 years. While these are light wheels, they are by no means ultra light. I can appreciate the fact that you can go heaviier on the spoke count for safety sake. I guess I am the exception to the rule.
It's ok to disagree, my disagreement to SSBully was not about whether or not low spoke count wheels would hold up but reference to 36 spoke wheels being crappy then changed his tune a bit.

You are an exception to the rule in general. Do you ride in mountain areas? I have a friend in So Calif that is exactly the same height and weight as you, and he tried several different low spoke rims and they've all failed. But he's even had several aluminum frames fail as well, including 2 Vitus's, a Klien and 2 Cannondale's over a period of about 20 years. Now that's he riding a Rivendell with 36 spoke rims from Peter White for the last 8 years he hasn't had one problem, and he's even been doing loaded touring on it! He also has a Tommasini Tecno set up the same way with 36 hole rims and no problems with it either. But this guy is monster not a dough boy.

But for added assurance a 36 hole rim would be better for you, if you break one spoke you will taco the rim and depending on how fast your going will depend on how badly your hurt.

Last edited by froze; 06-04-09 at 02:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.