Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Best Sub 1k SS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 07:38 PM
MattofBostone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best Sub 1k SS?

Hello my friends,

So I've been biking for about 7 months now and I actually just did my first Century on Sunday! It was fun but I'm really ready to get back to riding for fun, not to train. I have a trek 2100 right now and I like it but I'm planning on trading it in for a single speed. The rides I do now are commuting to work (10 miles total) and 20-30 mile weekly group rides so I wouldn't have a problem doing those on a single speed.

What do you think it the best bike for under 1000? I've looked at the Langster, the single speed Felts, the SS Treks and god only knows what else. I'm just wondering what you guys would do if you were in my position.

Another random thing- I hate bikes with curved forks, I have no idea why but I'm just a hater lol. I suppose I could get over that though. Thanks guys!

Matt
Old 06-09-09, 07:43 PM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bianchi San Jose. Straight fork (on the new ones) and you can put some big cushy tires in there along with a rack/fenders for commuting.
Old 06-09-09, 07:44 PM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jamis Sputnik

IRO Angus
Old 06-09-09, 07:49 PM
SSBully
HAMMER DOWN

Bikes: Sold '08 Jamis Coda Comp, building a Leader 720TR. I know, let the hating begin!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedallingATX
Jamis Sputnik
X10000000! That's a great complete bike.
Old 06-09-09, 08:04 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
gt gutterball
Old 06-09-09, 08:11 PM
stryper
I just wanna ride

Bikes: 2013 BMC Impec

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the felt tk3. Sweet street bike.
Frame:
Felt Custom Butted Super-light 7005 Aluminum, Forged Dropouts w/ Stainless Steel Inserts

Fork:
Felt TKR carbon fiber

Components:
Felt 3pc Cold Forged Track w/ CNC Machined Alloy 144mm B.C.D. 48t 3/32” Chainring x 15t 3/32” cog w/ lockring; Felt TKR Track Bar & Post

Wheelset:
Felt TKR4 High Flange track hubs/Stainless Steel Spokes/30mm deep aero track rims, 28H front, 28H rear

Finish:
Gloss Black

Sizes:
700c x 52, 54, 56, 58, 60cm

Weight:
17.97 pounds

MSRP:
$869

https://feltracing.com/09-catalog/tra...es/09-tk3.aspx
Old 06-09-09, 08:11 PM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc700
gt gutterball
thats one of the first times i have heard anyone on this forum mention or recommend that bike. I was sort of curious what people thought about it. Obviously, the GTB and Pulse are great bikes, do you have experience w/ the gutterball?
Old 06-09-09, 08:13 PM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i was kinda saying it to fuel some flames. i just rode it around a store, but loved it. it's not going to compare with the gtb/pulse on any real level, and the tk3 is WAAAAY better.
Old 06-09-09, 08:16 PM
jhaber
Hip-star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sputnik
Old 06-09-09, 08:46 PM
Triple8Sol
manonthemoon

Bikes: Current custom builds: FG=KHS Flite 100 DH=Transition Blindside FR=Transition Bottlerocket

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Felt TK3

/thread
Old 06-09-09, 08:49 PM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TK3 can't be run SS, though. It doesn't have cable housing guides. Besides, it's a pretty hardcore track frame assuming the OP wants this for general use (he did say SS and NOT Track/FG)
Old 06-09-09, 08:49 PM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
funny how everyone says that the tk3 is the best and i haven't even read one review of it on here.

also, you can still run it ss. it's drilled for front and rear brakes. you don't NEED cable stops, they just help.
Old 06-09-09, 10:10 PM
dayvan cowboy

Bikes: Fuji Track, Half built 70s Azuki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
from the description in OP's post, a straight up track bike like that might not be the best option.

I do love my Mark V.
Old 06-09-09, 10:43 PM
passerby

Bikes: 08 Schwinn Madison

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
schwinn madison. thats it. end of thread.
Old 06-10-09, 12:47 AM
CharneK
SpecialK

Bikes: 2007 SE Lager

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also must recommend the Sputnik. Carbon fork, Reynolds 631, decent crankset, OK wheelset... Probably one of the best if not the best SS/fixed complete you can get for your money, especially under a K.
Old 06-10-09, 08:18 AM
MattofBostone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too hardcore

Yeah as some people have said- the TK3 is a great looking bike but it's a little too intense. It would be great if there was a track around here but unfortunately there isn't. I really like the Bianchi San Jose Cross bike. It seems similar to the Felt Cross bike (https://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog.../09-breed.aspx). As far as specs go, there is no real downside to a cross bike is there? I think it would just leave more options open in the future for the purpose of the bike.

Do they carry any kind of weight penalty? Also- how are those cantilever brakes compared to normal road bike brakes?

Another option would be to buy a frame and build from there although my perception is that ends up being more expensive than buying a whole bike. Would there be any big advantages to that?
Old 06-10-09, 08:23 AM
devilshaircut

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been pushing the '08 Fuji Track Pro lately because the price of the bike lately has plunged extremely extremely low both at bike stores and online.

Anyhow, there are a lot of good bikes under $1000 ... it depends on what *you* want though. Aluminum/steel? NJS? Track geometry?

EDIT: Main advantage to building up your bike is having the experience of building up your bike. Otherwise it is just more expensive, really.
Old 06-10-09, 09:24 AM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
hadn't seen the breed.

awesome.

i'd definitely get that or the san jose.
Old 06-10-09, 09:46 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MattofBostone
As far as specs go, there is no real downside to a cross bike is there? I think it would just leave more options open in the future for the purpose of the bike.
Versatility is key if you don't plan to own 7 or 8 single purpose bikes. (not that there's anything wrong with having 8 bikes)

Do they carry any kind of weight penalty? Also- how are those cantilever brakes compared to normal road bike brakes?
They will be a little heavier but a big part of that is the weight of the larger tires. Nothing to be worried about though. They are still much lighter than most "geared" bikes. Canti's should stop as well or better than traditional road brakes. They clear mud better if you go offroad too!

Another option would be to buy a frame and build from there although my perception is that ends up being more expensive than buying a whole bike. Would there be any big advantages to that?
You gain experience building up a frame from scratch but you gotta know what you want or you'll way overspend trying to get the best of everything.
Old 06-10-09, 10:04 AM
MattofBostone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshaircut
Anyhow, there are a lot of good bikes under $1000 ... it depends on what *you* want though. Aluminum/steel? NJS? Track geometry?
Good point for sure. As far as material I really don't have a preference. My bike is aluminum with carbon seatstays and fork right now. I rode my coaches bike for a while (all aluminum, including fork) and the difference wasn't that jarring over the course of 22 miles. Long story short- material isn't a big thing and as others have pointed out, there are ways to adjust road feel other than frame material.

As far as geometry- I'm looking for something a bit more relaxed. Not hybrid relaxed but certainly more relaxed than a track bike.
Old 06-10-09, 10:08 AM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again, Sputnik. It has relaxed geometry and a lot of other great features. Steamrollers also have chillax triangles
Old 06-10-09, 10:09 AM
devilshaircut

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In that case, I kind of like the cross bike option. Several of my friends have them and I've seen them take their bikes everywhere. My only reservation is that a real road bike or real track bike is a *lot* better for the streets. But they tend to be less versatile. On the upside, I know this is true for where I live at least, your streets may be ragged enough to warrant something a little more rugged!
Old 06-10-09, 11:01 AM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshaircut
In that case, I kind of like the cross bike option. Several of my friends have them and I've seen them take their bikes everywhere. My only reservation is that a real road bike or real track bike is a *lot* better for the streets. But they tend to be less versatile. On the upside, I know this is true for where I live at least, your streets may be ragged enough to warrant something a little more rugged!
Yeah something like the San Jose wil have relaxed geometry, but you are going to want to change out the tires on it to increase your speed (or not, if you don't care about going fast). Once you do put slicks on a San Jose, I think it would look kinda weird w/ the cantilever brakes and everything. That's why I say you should go w/ a Steamroller or Sputnik---2 good bikes w/ relaxed geometry that are meant for on-road use. Again, if you are planning to use this off road or on bad roads, maybe a CX bike is best for you....