Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Double to Triple conversion

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 09:36 AM
serpico7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Considering converting from a compact double to a triple, partially for slightly wider gearing (though my current gearing is pretty wide at 30-101 gear inches), but mostly because I find that my sweet spot on flattish terrain is in the high 50s to mid 70s, so I am constantly switching chainrings (because my gearing is so wide, the large ring can't be used with the largest cogs). I figure with a 39t or 42t middle ring, I can stay in that ring for most flats/rollers. Also, I'd get the benefit of more closely spaced gearing, so I can maintain a steady cadence.

Am I nuts? I suppose I could use some of the larger cogs with the large ring on the compact double if I used a long-cage RD, but I'd still be cross-chained. And I figure the shifting on the triple will be at least as good as the compact double because the jumps between rings are smaller. The conversion probably won't cost much money because I'll buy used components and sell my compact double components, and I figure I can do all the wrenching myself.

If I want to use an Ultegra 6603 crank, do I just need to get a Shimano 6600 bottom bracket with the right threading for my frame (not sure if it uses English or Italian - it's an Orbea)? Or does the Ultegra crank come in English/Italian varieties (guessing this isn't the case, but want to confirm)?
Old 06-14-07, 10:37 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No you're not nuts.

I suppose I could use some of the larger cogs with the large ring on the compact double if I used a long-cage RD,
The cage length has nothing to do with max. cog size.

Before you start asking specific questions about how to do it, first provide more info about the components on your bike. Otherwise the only answer is, "It depends".

- Will Rogers
Old 06-14-07, 10:42 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I want to use an Ultegra 6603 crank, do I just need to get a Shimano 6600 bottom bracket with the right threading for my frame (not sure if it uses English or Italian - it's an Orbea)? Or does the Ultegra crank come in English/Italian varieties (guessing this isn't the case, but want to confirm)?

Bottom bracket is where you make the English/Italian threading determination. Make sure the bottom bracket also has the correct spindle length for a triple crank arm.
Old 06-14-07, 10:50 AM
serpico7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
The cage length has nothing to do with max. cog size.

Before you start asking specific questions about how to do it, first provide more info about the components on your bike. Otherwise the only answer is, "It depends".
Yes, I know. But the cage length does have something to do with whether or not you can use big-big or small-small combos (or how close to those combos you can get).

Currently, I have Ultegra 6600 double components, and an FSA SLK compact crank (with MegaEXO bottom bracket). Looking to swap brifters, crank, bb, front and rear derailleurs to Ultegra 6603.
Old 06-14-07, 10:58 AM
Proximo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
Bottom bracket is where you make the English/Italian threading determination. Make sure the bottom bracket also has the correct spindle length for a triple crank arm.
Spindle length doesn't apply in this case. The FC-6603 triple crankset shares the standard BB-6600 outboard bearing bottom bracket with FC-6602 double crankset.

Last edited by Proximo; 06-14-07 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-14-07, 11:28 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by serpico7
Yes, I know. But the cage length does have something to do with whether or not you can use big-big or small-small combos (or how close to those combos you can get).
No it doesn't. The length of the cage affects *only* how much slack the tension arm can take up. What you're talking about is the affect of chainline variance - nothing to do with the dérailleurs.

Currently, I have Ultegra 6600 double components, and an FSA SLK compact crank (with MegaEXO bottom bracket). Looking to swap brifters, crank, bb, front and rear derailleurs to Ultegra 6603.
Only the left brifter needs to change if you can find just the one.

6600 is a Hollowtech II design where the axle is of one piece with the drive-side crank. There is no bottom bracket per se - just external bearings. The bearings are the same for double and triple. Just install what comes with your new crank. Threading is probably English, but do some research.

Dérailleurs FD-6603 (-B or -F as appropriate), RD-6600-GS.

- Will Rogers

Last edited by DMF; 06-14-07 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-14-07, 11:48 AM
serpico7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
No it doesn't. The length of the cage affects *only* how much slack the tension arm can take up. What you're talking about is the affect of chainline variance - nothing to do with the dérailleurs.
Sure it does, for the reason you just stated - the longer cage can take up more slack. That means you can use a longer chain, which means you can use big-big combo (or big-2nd biggest cog), and still take up the extra slack so that you can use small-small (or small-2nd smallest cog).

Note that in my first post I mentioned my gearing range - though it's not explicit, that gearing range on a compact double means I have a very wide cassette (in this case, 13-30). Wide cassettes present a chain wrap issue, hence my mention that simply switching to a long cage RD might address part of the reasons I am considering converting to a triple.

Of course one of the problems with simply using a long-cage RD is that even if I could stay in one ring for the flats, I'd be cross-chaining a lot. With the middle ring on a triple, I'd have my "flat land" gears on one ring and a straighter chainline.

Thanks for the bb info - that's all new to me.
Old 06-14-07, 11:57 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by serpico7
... the longer cage can take up more slack. That means you can use a longer chain,
Nope. Think about it.

N.b. that the standard method of determining chain length doesn't take the dérailleurs into account at all. You wrap the chain big-big (without going through the RD) and add two. When changing from double (53/25) to triple (52/25) one can use the exact same chain, even though the max. amount of slack increases (27T to 33T) and RD changes from short to long cage.

Of course one of the problems with simply using a long-cage RD is that even if I could stay in one ring for the flats, I'd be cross-chaining a lot.
Cross-chaining is simply a function of the physical relationship of the rings. The configuration of the RD does not affect it.

- Will Rogers

Last edited by DMF; 06-14-07 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-14-07, 12:16 PM
serpico7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
Nope. Think about it.

N.b. that the standard method of determining chain length doesn't take the dérailleurs into account at all. You wrap the chain big-big (without going through the RD) and add two. When changing from double (53/25) to triple (52/25) one can use the exact same chain, even though the max. amount of slack increases (27T to 33T) and RD changes from short to long cage.
I don't disagree with this. I think you are misunderstanding my post(s). Let me try to be clear - on a double setup, if one uses a very wide cassette, chain wrap can be a problem. The sole purpose of the long cage is to wrap more chain than a short cage can wrap. See https://www.sheldonbrown.com/deakins/lowgears.html - scroll down to "Cross-Chaining - The rest of the story".

Originally Posted by DMF
Cross-chaining is simply a function of the physical relationship of the rings. The configuration of the RD does not affect it.
Yes, of course. My point was that even if I could easily make use of all the gear combos by using a long cage RD, I'd still be contending with cross-chaining for my "flat-land" gears if I decided to stay with the compact double.
Old 06-14-07, 12:46 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
chain wrap
Yeah, that makes sense. A wide cassette introduces more slack.

For a Shimano road double (53-39) the delta ∆ is 14T. The short cage RD can handle the widest road cassette that they sell, 12-27 or ∆13T. Your compact (50-34?) is ∆16T, and your cassette is ∆17T. That's out of spec for the short cage, assuming you use it all (i.e. crosschain).

So you should be running a long cage, but doing so won't solve the problems you have with your compact. If you go to the triple, think in terms of a 12-25 or even 11-23 cassette. You'll thank yourself.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-14-07, 12:52 PM
serpico7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
So you should be running a long cage, but doing so won't solve the problems you have with your compact. If you go to the triple, think in terms of a 12-25 or even 11-23 cassette. You'll thank yourself.
Actually, to preserve my current granny gear (~30 gear inches - and I use it!), if I go with a triple crank with a 30t small ring, I'd need to use a 27t cog, so I was thinking 12-27, or maybe even using my 13-30 for a 26 gear inch granny.
Old 06-14-07, 12:57 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For steep climbing I use a 12-27, but 11-23 for more reasonable stuff. It's also possible to customize Shimano cassettes.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-14-07, 03:56 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder, then, why Campagnolo recommends medium RD's with cassettes with 29 tooth gears but not those with 25 or 26 tooth gears?

For the OP, I prefer triples to compact doubles personally but I think doing this conversion may be an expense that doesn't really net you much. I ride a triple and a couple of compact doubles and do fine with either setup. The triple is a little more efficient for me and more flexible but the compact double works just fine. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I think you will get used to what you have.

I'm not a fast rider. One thing I do, however, is change out the small chain ring on the doubles from 34 to 36 tooth. That lets me spend more time on the small ring at higher speeds and that improves efficiency a little for me. That with a 25 or 26 tooth cassette works out almost as well as a triple for my kind of riding.
Old 06-15-07, 11:00 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fmw
I wonder, then, why Campagnolo recommends medium RD's with cassettes with 29 tooth gears but not those with 25 or 26 tooth gears?
We were discussing that in another thread. The short cage should be able to handle 29T - assuming that all other dimensions than cage length are identical to the medium - but apparently the tension arm can't swing fully so it can't handle the extra slack from the wider cassette.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-15-07, 02:35 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fmw
I'm not a fast rider. One thing I do, however, is change out the small chain ring on the doubles from 34 to 36 tooth. That lets me spend more time on the small ring at higher speeds and that improves efficiency a little for me. That with a 25 or 26 tooth cassette works out almost as well as a triple for my kind of riding.
I like that idea too but the OP says he needs a 30" gearor lower and he can't get there with a 36t chainring. A 36/30 combination is 32.4 gear inches.
Old 06-15-07, 03:49 PM
serpico7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943
I like that idea too but the OP says he needs a 30" gearor lower and he can't get there with a 36t chainring. A 36/30 combination is 32.4 gear inches.
Right. I want it all - low-end gearing, but also a chainring that gives me most of my "flat-land" gears, so that I'm not constantly shifting rings or cross-chaining gears. This is why I'm thinking a triple conversion might be in order.