Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Switching out sm. for med. cage only...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 07:41 AM
55-11
Señor Cardgage Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My honey finally admits that she doesn't climb like she used to - 43y.o. (and it has really killed her to admit that). Now, She rides Merlin Solis w/ all Chorus 10s group (13-26) short cage. The option (least expensive w/o compromising her integrity [and more importantly the integrity of her machine...just kidding]) is to change just the cage of the RD and going to a Centaur 13-29 - this way her ego isn't damaged while riding w/her friends, she'll have a bail-out gear, and will not have the embarrassment (granted - all in her head) of using a triple. (I will add her riding buddies are 10-15 years younger). She has a Compact on her cross but that also does not give her enough for the tough climbs. So, finally my question... changing just the cage size will only increase chain wrap (which I think may be necessary due to the 30 cw required with the 53/39 13-29) but not distance from the jockey wheel to the 29 cog. Are the body lengths the same for both med. and short cage RDs in the Chorus Group? Or, rated at 26/27 by Campy, does anyone think I can get away with keeping the short cage?

V and HillRider feel free to offer? You too, DMF and Soil Sampler.
Old 06-18-07, 08:25 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As far as we can tell, they are identical except for the arm length and the reason that the max cog size is less is because the short arm can't swing as far without hitting something when used with the wider cassette. So yes, in this unique case you'd have to* change the RD too. Other than checking that the chain is long enough with the 29, there shouldn't be any issues.

* Always assume the worst case. Short cage would probably work until you went to max slack, which one should never do, but... always assume the worst case.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-18-07, 08:29 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
fwiw I am running a 13-29 cassette on my 9s Veloce short cage. It shifts with only a slight hesitation into the 29, so I figure I'll keep running it until the derailleur wears out, then I'll buy a long cage.
Old 06-18-07, 11:09 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I think you can keep the short cage rd and still use the 13x29 cassette with it. Mechanically, the rd's jockey pulley should clear the larger cog as I believe the distance from the hanger bolt to the pulley is the same for all of the Campy rd's despite the cage length. You may have to lengthen the chain to be sure it will allow big-big with the additional 3 teeth.

What she will give up is the ability to use the smaller chainring with the smallest one, two or three cogs since she won't have the "wrap" capacity of a longer cage if a longer chain is needed.

I'd try it before buying a new rd. If it works, you have only paid for a cassette and a chain. If it doesn't clear, you can always spend the money on the new derailleur but I'm betting you won't have to.
Old 06-18-07, 11:57 AM
55-11
Señor Cardgage Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks HillRider,
...and what do you think about just replacing the cage for 50 bucks (new cage plates 72.5mm) and my time rather than a whole new RD (CHorus RD for about 160.00). Looking at the exploded view, the only difficult part of install I see is the potential difficulty to load the spring on re-assembly . Please keep in mind she really is stuck on the Chorus thing. Otherwise I would replace with Centaur med. for about 60 bucks...but thats just me.
Old 06-18-07, 12:02 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 55-11
Thanks HillRider,
...and what do you think about just replacing the cage for 50 bucks (new cage plates 72.5mm) and my time rather than a whole new RD (CHorus RD for about 160.00). Looking at the exploded view, the only difficult part of install I see is the potential difficulty to load the spring on re-assembly . Please keep in mind she really is stuck on the Chorus thing. Otherwise I would replace with Centaur med. for about 60 bucks...but thats just me.
The lady has good tastes.
Old 06-18-07, 12:07 PM
55-11
Señor Cardgage Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The lady has good tastes.
Thanks, I take that as a compliment.
Old 06-18-07, 01:08 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be sure the chain is long enough to accomodate the larger cassette. Then that should do it. If you don't have quite enough cage length the worst that can happen is that you have a little chain slack. Probably not a big deal. I wouldn't change DR's just for that.
Old 06-18-07, 04:18 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by 55-11
Thanks HillRider,
...and what do you think about just replacing the cage for 50 bucks (new cage plates 72.5mm) and my time rather than a whole new RD
Well, $50 is a lot less than $160 but, I still think it's not needed. Just make sure your wife knows not to use small-small and everthing should work out fine.

BTW, if a compact double with a 34T chainring and a 13x26 cassette (35.3 gear inche low gear) doesn't give her a low enough gear why would a 39 x 29 (36.3 gear inches) combination be any beter?
Old 06-18-07, 06:41 PM
55-11
Señor Cardgage Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey HillRider, just got back... I was waiting for that question you wise, wise, man...with her Compact (36 inner chain ring) on her STEEL Vicious Cycles "Slider" Cross, she has no problem with using other than Campy (FSA and Shimano outfitted) components (and she typically doesn't climb with that bike). I love her but I gotta say she's driving me a little batty on this one. I guess the point is that the difference in gear inches as you point out is neglible and she doesn't want to appear weaker than her compatriots.