Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replace Press Fit BB with a threaded one in a chamfered space.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-22, 12:05 PM
chiefkurtz 
Tange

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Super Course Mk II, 77 Nishiki International, 77 Motobecane Super Mirage, 84 Team Fuji, 85 Schwinn Traveler, 86 Schwinn Prelude, 86 Raleigh Technium 460, 87 Raleigh Technium Tri Lite, 88 Cannondale "Crest", 96 Giant ATX 830, 05 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 37 Posts

Wondering if this has been done, replacing a Mavic 610 with a threaded one. There's seems to be plenty of threading left down there, and the cup looks like it would sit flush against the opening.
Old 10-20-22, 12:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I don't think the Mavic 610 is considered a press fit. Maybe a slip fit. I'm thinking they were made to go inside a standard BSA threaded shell that didn't have any tubes or welds protruding into the shell. Maybe useful for those that buggered up the threads on their shell.

So if you have threads on your shell and they are in good shape, then you have options.

Admittedly I just did a quick google. So maybe someone else remembers them and has some experience with them.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-20-22, 10:30 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 379 Posts
The Mavic 610 BB used a special chamfer tool to machine the bevel in the edge of the bottom bracket shell. The intent was to leave enough threads to allow re-replacement with a threaded BB, so, yeah- you could put a regular bottom bracket cartridge back in.
That does beg the question, though- why was the Mavic BB in there? It was designed so it could be used to repair a frame that had had its threads stripped. Is this the case?
If you haven't already, I'd take the frame to a well-equipped shop and have them tap and face the bottom bracket shell thoroughly... and double-check that cups thread in without cross-threading.

Here's the VeloBase page on the BB:
VeloBase.com - Component: Mavic 610 Series

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 10-21-22, 06:43 AM
chiefkurtz 
Tange

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Super Course Mk II, 77 Nishiki International, 77 Motobecane Super Mirage, 84 Team Fuji, 85 Schwinn Traveler, 86 Schwinn Prelude, 86 Raleigh Technium 460, 87 Raleigh Technium Tri Lite, 88 Cannondale "Crest", 96 Giant ATX 830, 05 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 37 Posts
Yes, as to WHY it's in there. The guy from whom I bought is not the original owner. The original owner swapped out the 105 front and rear derailleur, and crankset for a matched MAVIC set (including a Starfish crankset), which does look nice, but I want to put it into its original configuration.
The though had occurred that this was installed due to a cross threading or stripped thread issue. I'm less inclined to think that in view that the owner installed an entire Mavic drivetrain. If it gives me any trouble, I'll take it to the LBS. https://postimg.cc/gallery/JyFLhd5/2ac32074