Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Frame / Top Tube bags for bikes with exposed cables

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-23, 12:03 PM
somebikeguy 

Liked 154 Times in 62 Posts

Hey all

Curios to know what the best storage approach would be for a bike with lotsa exposed cables like my Ritchey.

Common sense is telling me a frame bag makes more sense than a top tube bag? eg: https://topodesigns.com/products/bik...42113158774837

As you can see in the pic, I'm using the donuts and think I could get the straps below the exposed cables without issue. Curious to hear from those with experience. I'm not bikebacking or anything, just packing tools, snacks, creditcards etc for my rides.
Old 05-20-23, 05:59 PM
Noonievut

Liked 266 Times in 129 Posts
I use this in 2.4L

Apidura Racing Frame Pack

Straps go under cables on top tube. Can still get the water bottle out of the forward cage.
Old 05-20-23, 10:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,822 Times in 2,604 Posts
I used to use a small top-tube/bento bag on top of my stem. It worked pretty well even though it only was using the two bottom straps.
Old 05-21-23, 03:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,742 Times in 4,302 Posts
Handlebar bag. There are probably 60 brands on the market at this point and they come in all sorts of colors.
I have bags from LeadOut and OrNot and not are well designed and made.

Easy access, holds plenty of stuff compared to a top tube bag, and keeps everything out of the way.
Best part- no issue with cables.
Old 05-25-23, 02:13 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Liked 493 Times in 339 Posts
All my bikes have exposed cables and I run frame/triangle bags on all of them just fine. Sometimes the straps go under the cables, and other times they can just go over them. Top tube bento bags work fine on frames where it's just the single brake cable, but I don't use a bento on my frame with the FD cable routed on top of the top tube.
Old 05-30-23, 10:42 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,269 Times in 2,851 Posts
Always clamp a bike by the seatpost the item on the bike designed to be clamped. I know it is a steel frame and all of that but if you do it right each time you won't risk damaging anything.

In terms of bags I would probably just use a seat bag like one of the one's from Topeak or a smaller bike packing bag if carrying a lot. I do run some frame bags under cables without an issue and a handle bar bag is also an option but it all depends on how much you plan on carrying which it seems like not a whole lot.