Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Team Issue - rare find anyone have details about this model?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Team Issue - rare find anyone have details about this model?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-22, 07:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
He
They look nicely mitered to my eye .. perhaps the chainstay could have had a *little* more material removed but that's a nitpick to me. What do you think?
Looks nice to me. A lot of production bikes had the tubes crimped and slammed together. Those are rounded to match the BB shell.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-23-22, 10:00 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Here's a closer pic of chainstay in BB...They look nicely mitered to my eye .. perhaps the chainstay could have had a *little* more material removed but that's a nitpick to me. What do you think?
The stays still look like a straight cut to me. The main tubes are are mitred but I've seen better. It's still a very nice frame but not at the level of a top builder and not what I expecting to see.

I went back though my 1986 magazines and found a reference to the Team Issue in a Nishiki advertisement. I'm not surprised that I didn't recall seeing it, as the Team Issue and the Comp III are almost an afterthought, being mentioned in the 2nd to last paragraph of a full page advertisement (see attached). No details are given other than the Team Issue being a road racing model, while the Comp III was a criterium racing model. Regardless. it confirms that the team Issue was a legitimate 1986 USA market model which, in conjunction with its absence from the 1985 and 1987 literature, establishes it as a single year model.

BTW, the Team Issue would have been 2nd in the 1986 line-up, as there was a model above it that used Dura-Ace and a carbon fibre frame sourced from Alan in Italy.

Last edited by T-Mar; 10-23-22 at 10:05 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-23-22, 11:21 AM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The stays still look like a straight cut to me. The main tubes are are mitred but I've seen better. It's still a very nice frame but not at the level of a top builder and not what I expecting to see.
Not to get into a mitering flame war - lol - but, here's the mitering from my '83 3Rensho:

Very nicely mitered however, to my eye, the Nishiki is done slightly better.
Old 10-24-22, 09:19 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 192 Posts
Big shout out to member mhespenheide for remembering I've been on the lookout for a 63cm 80s Japanese bike made with Tange Prestige and he generously tracked down and facilitated the buy of this beauty:

I did not know Nishiki made frames this nice - really gorgeous craftsmanship on this one: finely cut, shaped and filed lugs down to the bare minimum. Beautiful accents on frame. Shimano EF (Dura Ace) drop outs. 100% handmade with Tange prestige. Tubes beautifully mitered. Really top notch build quality that's right up their, and in some ways nicer, than the 3Rensho built Allez I have. The weight is shocking: 1830 grams the lightest 63cm frame, by far, that I've come across (compare to my '86 Miyata Pro 'tank' that tips the scales at 2440 grams).

However, searching this forum and googling reveals very, very little detail on this particular model. According to serial this was built in '85 making it a '86 model however it is not in the Nishiki catalogs. There appear to have been very few of these made and I'm not sure whom they were intended for.

Can anyone shed more details on these beauties?
Congrats - that is a very nicely made frame. Team Issues are certainly rare birds and, this one being my size, I'm a wee bit jealous.

Almost all Team Issue frames I've seen (that still had original paint) had the same color and the same decal style.

However, I did run across one a while back that sported 1987 style decals and had different features than yours, which would make Team Issue a model that ran for at least 2 years. Still made with Tange Prestige, with the same lugs and Hitachi made bb shell, but most other things are different (fork crown, seat stay caps, top tube cable guides (now on the underside) and the brake bridge).

It's been a while since I saved these pics, so I don't remember where they came from - probably a listing on FB Marketplace (judging by the file names). Unfortunately, the picture of the bb shell barely shows a number that is almost impossible to read.

Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 10-25-22, 06:12 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Yes, the paint, decals and rear brake cable tunnels are indicative of a 1987 model. However, it's definitely not included in the 1987 USA market catalogue. It could be from a foreign market. Unfortunately, the country code indicator of the S/N is indiscernible.
Old 10-25-22, 06:18 AM
tendency

Originally Posted by MauriceMoss
Congrats - that is a very nicely made frame. Team Issues are certainly rare birds and, this one being my size, I'm a wee bit jealous.

Almost all Team Issue frames I've seen (that still had original paint) had the same color and the same decal style.

However, I did run across one a while back that sported 1987 style decals and had different features than yours, which would make Team Issue a model that ran for at least 2 years. Still made with Tange Prestige, with the same lugs and Hitachi made bb shell, but most other things are different (fork crown, seat stay caps, top tube cable guides (now on the underside) and the brake bridge).

It's been a while since I saved these pics, so I don't remember where they came from - probably a listing on FB Marketplace (judging by the file names). Unfortunately, the picture of the bb shell barely shows a number that is almost impossible to read.
Very interesting! Thanks for the info - they are beautiful bikes.

And, Hitachi made bottom brackets?!

Last edited by tendency; 10-25-22 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-25-22, 11:45 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
really nice paint on that '87 example!
I was gonna point out the Hitachi BB shell but Maurice Moss beat me to it! The investment-castings were done by another Japanese company but Hitachi sold them.
I always thought the metal badge (with cap "N") stuck on the stay cap was a cheesy feature that made even the low cost frames seem cheaper, IMO, so glad to see a Tange Prestige frame finally ditched that (but in the second year of production, maybe).
I once had a "bumblebee" black/yellow Tri-A frame pass thru my hands (on the way for a friend's use) and we both agreed that prying those appliques off improved the look, plus with a little heat from a hairdrier the adhesive softened and no paint was damaged.
Old 10-26-22, 06:44 AM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
here's one that passed through my hands quite a few years ago, I haven't seen it around here since:
Nishiki Team Issue
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Likes For norskagent:
Old 10-26-22, 03:11 PM
tendency

Originally Posted by norskagent
here's one that passed through my hands quite a few years ago, I haven't seen it around here since:
Nishiki Team Issue
Ah yes, came across that thread on here when I searched. The Team Issue's seem rarer than hen's teeth - as you said I think that's about the last time one has come up in here.
Old 10-27-22, 01:51 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Yes, the paint, decals and rear brake cable tunnels are indicative of a 1987 model. However, it's definitely not included in the 1987 USA market catalogue. It could be from a foreign market. Unfortunately, the country code indicator of the S/N is indiscernible.
If you rotate the image 90 degrees the first character looks like a "W".
Old 10-27-22, 02:22 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
My team had a Nishiki sponsorship in 1987 and 1988. In 87, we were issued Comp llls in maroon and silver and in 88, I had a Team Issue in the blue/white fade shown in earlier pics.

Alas, almost none of the Comp lll s survived as the frames were prone to breaking, especially at the rear drive side dropout. My Team Issue also broke through the down tube at the water bottle braze ons. It broke like a pop can does if you twist it back and forth.

Anyway, they were great criterium machines, tight and agile. Too bad they were fragile.

Old 10-28-22, 07:40 AM
tendency

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My team had a Nishiki sponsorship in 1987 and 1988. In 87, we were issued Comp llls in maroon and silver and in 88, I had a Team Issue in the blue/white fade shown in earlier pics.

Alas, almost none of the Comp lll s survived as the frames were prone to breaking, especially at the rear drive side dropout. My Team Issue also broke through the down tube at the water bottle braze ons. It broke like a pop can does if you twist it back and forth.

Anyway, they were great criterium machines, tight and agile. Too bad they were fragile.
Fascinating details thanks Dennis. Not too surprised about your frame breakage stories as, given the weight of the Team Issue, the builders took it right to the edge (and perhaps a little over..) in terms or strength. But, as Tom Ritchey once remarked (paraphrasing) "if you don't break a few frames a year then it's probably overbuilt".
Old 10-28-22, 02:48 PM
tendency

Completed bike. Found a chrome fork from an '86 Miyata Pro that I purchased off ebay a while back - looks good IMO and should have very similar characteristics to the Nishiki original. Mismatched wheels; trying to find a Dura Ace HB-9000 (20/24 hole) to complete a front wheel matching the rear.

18.5 lb as equipped - not too shabby for 63cm steel frame/fork.

Last edited by tendency; 10-28-22 at 03:31 PM.
Likes For tendency:
Old 10-28-22, 11:09 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Looking good! I'm glad you found a steel fork for it.
Old 10-29-22, 12:22 PM
tendency

Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Looking good! I'm glad you found a steel fork for it.
Thanks again for tracking it down and shipping it out to me Mark. Bike rides super nice - really smooth, excellent handling, that Tange Prestige certainly has the 'magic carpet' ride quality too it - reminds me a bit almost of riding a carbon fiber frame.
Likes For tendency:
Old 12-15-23, 01:39 PM
Lanovran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I just came across this thread and had to log in to the forum for the first time in years to comment on it! I picked up a Nishiki Team Issue second-hand from a used bike store in southeast Indiana nearly a decade ago and fixed 'er up with a combination of Dura-Ace 7400 & 7800 stuff, along with a (then) brand-new Shimano wheelset. I did have to replace the stem and handlebar due to damage, and also installed a NOS Dura-Ace headset and a new Brooks Swallow special edition blue saddle. At some point in the bike's lifetime, she received a fresh paint job in the original colorway minus the logos/decals (I was actually able to ID it thanks to norskagent's old post), so she still looks pretty shiny and new! The original head badge was also long gone by the time she came to me, so I replaced it with a custom paw print head badge, and dubbed her "Coyote Blue." Here she is:

I'm actually considering selling her, since I really don't ride any of my bikes nearly as much anymore as I used to, and especially this one. After reading this thread and seeing all the comments about how apparently rare these bikes are, now I'm also reconsidering my potential asking price! XD

Last edited by Lanovran; 12-15-23 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Add'l details.
Likes For Lanovran:
Old 12-15-23, 07:38 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
This is one I found on Craigslist several years ago, and resold as it was too big for me. Tange prestige tubing, dura ace 6 speed. "As found":
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Likes For norskagent:
Old 12-15-23, 08:17 PM
Lanovran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by norskagent
This is one I found on Craigslist several years ago, and resold as it was too big for me. Tange prestige tubing, dura ace 6 speed. "As found":
Yep, that's the one that I saw you post many years ago that helped me to ID my own bike!
Likes For Lanovran:
Old 02-09-24, 12:00 PM
ign1te

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Prestige tubing is still around, even in the modern era. I even found a place that sells bikes made out of Prestige tubing.

https://yasujirobike.com/product_detail.php?sn=10