Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drivetrain slack causing clickng sound

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 11:08 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts

I may be wrong but I don't think this is the typical loose pedal or chainstay issue.

I seem to have some slack in my chain, cassette, or hub. Turning the crank slowly, the rear wheel doesn't instantaneously engage and the wheel makes a bang (like a hammer on anvil, but not as loud) as the hub engages with the cassette and chain. The sound is definitely at the rear wheel. If this were a one time event when starting I wouldn't care but I don't pedal with exact even left / right foot pressure and I'm getting a slight tick or click while pedaling as the crank and cassette get in unison on virtually every full crank.

BTW, this sound happens in every gear.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Tony P.; 07-14-17 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-14-17, 02:52 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I'm not sure I understand.
If you allow the chain to go slack, even momentarily, then the wheel will begin to coast. Then, as the chain picks up tension again, the pawls in the freehub/wheel mechanism will engage again. There might be a slight noise associated with that depending on how hard/fast you get back on power.